Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    It's not. But he justified it by saying it was a 'natural inclination'.

He must also believe homosexuality is wonderful!

I would also love to see what his instincts tell him if I gave him a line-up of embryo's to choose from.. one being human, the rest being some other animal.. what would his 'natural inclinations' do to guide him then? :)
    I guess that would depend on the age of the embryo...

Also the jury is still out on how natural homosexuality is. The nature / nurture debate hasn't been settled just yet. If homosexuality is genetic in nature then it must be a mutation of an existing gene otherwise, with the exception of humans, it would remove itself from the gene pool by the host not mating with the proper sex.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I guess that would depend on the age of the embryo...

Also the jury is still out on how natural homosexuality is. The nature / nurture debate hasn't been settled just yet.
    So animals in the wild are "taught" homosexuality?

If homosexuality is genetic in nature then it must be a mutation of an existing gene otherwise, with the exception of humans, it would remove itself from the gene pool by the host not mating with the proper sex.
    Not really.. there are many things that could allow a trait like that to survive in the gene pool. Mendelian squares don't suffice anymore.. things are a lot messier than that.

So animals in the wild are "taught" homosexuality?

Not really.. there are many things that could allow a trait like that to survive in the gene pool. Mendelian squares don't suffice anymore.. things are a lot messier than that.
    Did I say that? I said that genetic mutations could be responsible. An genetic mutation that enhances the survivability of the species is a genetic benefit but one that deters procreation is a genetic flaw. Flaws may occur naturally but that doesn't make them progressive. It makes them genetic errors.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Did I say that? I said that genetic mutations could be responsible. An genetic mutation that enhances the survivability of the species is a genetic benefit but one that deters procreation is a genetic flaw. Flaws may occur naturally but that doesn't make them progressive. It makes them genetic errors.
    Either way, I don't really think this affects what I said. So what if homosexuality is caused by some genetic mutation?

You mean to say we should consider it as a genetic disorder, such as cystic fibrosis... so that it becomes a 'natural inclination' for which a cure should be sought?

In that case, I submit to Policon's assertion that pro-life is a 'natural inclination'... but as you and Policon both point out... 'natural inclinations' arent always "progressive"... so it follows "pro-life" might be a condition for which we should seek a cure. Luckily there is one available... its called reason. ;)
    Last edited by wilbur; 02-27-2009 at 05:37 PM.

That's some great circular logic there. Of course that's what we come to expect from the left . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Either way, I don't really think this affects what I said. So what if homosexuality is caused by some genetic mutation?

You mean to say we should consider it as a genetic disorder, such as cystic fibrosis... so that it becomes a 'natural inclination' for which a cure should be sought?

In that case, I submit to Policon's assertion that pro-life is a 'natural inclination'... but as you and Policon both point out... 'natural inclinations' arent always "progressive"... so it follows "pro-life" might be a condition for which we should seek a cure. Luckily there is one available... its called reason. ;)
    Actually reason would dictate the continuance of the species. It is irrationality leads someone to consider child sacrifice for the sake of some future blissful life.

You can't even argue that homosexuality is natural. Just because it occasionally happens in nature doesn't make desired human behavior. A whole species that became devoutly homosexual would cease to be a species. Perhaps one day you will evolve some human compassion and sensibilities.

C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    That's some great circular logic there. Of course that's what we come to expect from the left . . .
    Exactly... :D

C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Actually reason would dictate the continuance of the species. It is irrationality leads someone to consider child sacrifice for the sake of some future blissful life.
    'Fitness' is relative to the environment.... Seeing as how homosexuals do seem to desire children and can actually breed (if they choose), there might actually be a fitness advantage under some circumstances... since they can satisfy their desires for partnership without risking accidental pregnancy. Should we face a future as envisioned by Malthus, it could conceivably be an advantage.

You can't even argue that homosexuality is natural. Just because it occasionally happens in nature doesn't make desired human behavior.
    Again, I submit to the logic that if pro-life is a 'natural inclination' that it is by no means necessarily desirable... hence we should seek a cure. A species that values single cell organisms beyond that of a live human being may not be fit for survival... at least not a prosperous one.

A whole species that became devoutly homosexual would cease to be a species. Perhaps one day you will evolve some human compassion and sensibilities.
    I have it... you have fallen for the biggest lies in the book that make you mistake hate and bigotry for compassion. ;)
    Last edited by wilbur; 02-27-2009 at 06:48 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I don't think you know what circular logic is... the term gets misused a lot around here.

I was simply using your own logic against you.

I just don't see how you can even attempt to justify the ending of a life for the sake of expedience and convenience. You seem to want to view humans at the same level as the lesser animals. A male lion who takes over a pride will kill the cubs of the previous leader for the sake of promoting his genetic line. You promote the killing of human life for the sake of convenience. To live with this you've convinced yourself that it is not as human your killing but something non-human and you use science to justify and validate your beliefs. A misuse of science...

C. S. Lewis