Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 54
  1. #11  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Lincoln View Post
    Both legal and illegal immigration are completely out of control. We need to stop both, especially now.
    How is legal immigration out of control?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,448
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    How is legal immigration out of control?
    I suspect it's because white people aren't the ones legally immigrating...

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I suspect it's because white people aren't the ones legally immigrating...
    ah so you think he's as dumb and racist as gator?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member Mythic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    352
    If it makes he feel better my grandparents were white immigrants...
    "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives."
    -Ronald Reagan

    Life is a story; if you stay on the same page forever you will never finish it.
    "There are days you are the pigeon and days you are the statue."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Immigration is a good thing. What's a bad thing is the failure to assimilate.
    Exactly. Being an American is unique, in that we are one of the few nations in the world that permits people to become citizens with full equality, regardless of their origins. Becoming an American is an act of political will, not simply a matter of birth.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Lincoln View Post
    Both legal and illegal immigration are completely out of control. We need to stop both, especially now.
    Care to explain that further?
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    ah so you think he's as dumb and racist as gator?
    Not likely. Gator is in a class by himself, and to get to that class, he takes the short bus. :D

    Remember, my wife is a foreign national who had overstayed her visa when we met. We had to jump through a number of hoops to change her status, and it cost us a great deal of time and money, so I don't think that I'm particularly unsympathetic to immigrants, but there are legitimate arguments for curbing legal immigration numbers, or at least overhauling the system, that have nothing to do with racial attitudes. For example, we're in a serious economic downturn. Does it make sense to continue to encourage immigration when the job market is tightening? Also, is it racist to point out that some nations' expatriates will be easier to assimilate than others'? Simply advocating changes in policy doesn't make you a racist.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Sonnabend
    Guest
    Both legal and illegal immigration are completely out of control. We need to stop both, especially now.
    I can think off the top of my head of three legal immigrants who have enriched your lives immensely.

    You're a Ron Paul fan...arent you?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    67
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    but there are legitimate arguments for curbing legal immigration numbers, or at least overhauling the system, that have nothing to do with racial attitudes. For example, we're in a serious economic downturn. Does it make sense to continue to encourage immigration when the job market is tightening? Also, is it racist to point out that some nations' expatriates will be easier to assimilate than others'? Simply advocating changes in policy doesn't make you a racist.
    Good points, but to those in power, only evil people oppose immigration.

    Craig Nelsen of NumbersUSA once posed a good question to Bush II: "How many people in America would be too many?"

    Needless to say, Bush had no answer, and neither do the immigration idiots.

    Here's an immigrant who enriched us by killing Chandra Levy:

    http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2009/...ad-of-the-msm/

    The media, of course, was desperately hoping it was a white congressman.
    Last edited by Hugh Lincoln; 03-04-2009 at 08:41 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Lincoln View Post
    Good points, but to those in power, only evil people oppose immigration.
    There's a good deal of truth to this. Times really have changed and the economic model that sucked in millions of foreign peasants (my own grandparents among them) and spit out well-assimilated first generation Americans is largely over. It still exists among immigrants in technical fields and some small business people but the old model of servants and tenant farmers is over.

    There is a limit to the resources any country has and during times of economic upheaval, it makes sense to concentrate resources on current citizens. Adults with college degrees are actually competing for fry cook jobs in some areas. The competition for higher level jobs is obviously very hot at the moment. We clearly have enough people to do the jobs that Americans previously didn't do.

    Legal immigration issues are worth talking about at this time. Talking about these things certainly doesn't mean the discussion is racist or nativist or whatever other "ist" or "ism" seems most inflammatory.

    (Now play nice. ;))
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Lincoln View Post
    Good points, but to those in power, only evil people oppose immigration.
    Craig Nelsen of NumbersUSA once posed a good question to Bush II: "How many people in America would be too many?"
    Needless to say, Bush had no answer, and neither do the immigration idiots.
    Here's an immigrant who enriched us by killing Chandra Levy:
    http://blog.vdare.com/archives/2009/...ad-of-the-msm/
    The media, of course, was desperately hoping it was a white congressman.
    Admittedly, that would have made for a more dramatic story. But, the congressman in question was a Democrat and the media still went after him. That's an improvement over their kid gloves treatment of Teddy Kennedy. But, as soon as the murderer turned out to be an illegal, the story dropped off of the radar. BTW, I'm pretty sure that the murderer is an illegal, but the news stories that I read didn't mention his immigration status, just calling him an "immigrant." Not too long ago, I tried to google stats on illegal immigrants and crime. It's almost impossible to find crime stats among illegals, because the major cities with the highest populations won't allow the question to be asked, then they claim that the huge number of incidents that people cite are "anecdotal" and don't reflect the real situation. I spent some time at the Bureau of Justice Statistics page, where they track the prison population by race, gender, HIV status, even parents with minor children, but no single report on felons by immigration status. You'd think that someone would want to know that, wouldn't you?
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    There's a good deal of truth to this. Times really have changed and the economic model that sucked in millions of foreign peasants (my own grandparents among them) and spit out well-assimilated first generation Americans is largely over. It still exists among immigrants in technical fields and some small business people but the old model of servants and tenant farmers is over.
    There is a limit to the resources any country has and during times of economic upheaval, it makes sense to concentrate resources on current citizens. Adults with college degrees are actually competing for fry cook jobs in some areas. The competition for higher level jobs is obviously very hot at the moment. We clearly have enough people to do the jobs that Americans previously didn't do.
    Legal immigration issues are worth talking about at this time. Talking about these things certainly doesn't mean the discussion is racist or nativist or whatever other "ist" or "ism" seems most inflammatory.
    (Now play nice. ;))
    The real problem with legal immigration is that the multiculturalists refuse to permit any discussion of the impacts of unassimilated people from cultures whose values are incompatible with ours. For example, you don't find honor killings in western culture, but when the subject is raised, the Islamists try to dismiss them as run of the mill domestic violence, rather than a unique cultural phenomenon. With the world rapidly changing, and America rapidly becoming the last bastion of western civilization, can we afford to allow in people who are openly hostile to our traditions and heritage?
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Sonnabend
    Guest
    Here's an immigrant who enriched us by killing Chandra Levy:
    Here

    Here

    Oh and, read this, troll

    Does the name DeBakey ring a bell?

    DeBakey, the Louisiana-born son of Lebanese immigrants, was still a student at Tulane University in New Orleans in 1932 when he created the roller pump, which would be a critical component of the heart-lung machine that helped make open-heart surgery possible.
    I might also add that our country sends doctors to you frequently as immigrants, to teach you new techniques, methods, and to share new technologies that are discovered in places other than the US.

    Like the new techniques for burn surgery and treatment that will save lives in the US, invented by an Australian doctor

    Like this


    Oh BTW..the words you are looking for are are thank and you.

    Troll.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •