Thread: Evangelical Atheist Christopher Hitchens to debate Rick and Bubba live at 10 AM EST

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Evangelical Atheist Christopher Hitchens to debate Rick and Bubba live at 10 AM EST 
    I've heard Dawkins on the show. Those two rednecks owned him. They said Dawkins is very civilized when debating God/No God. They described Hitchens as debating Dawkins drinking Whiskey. Ought to be good.

http://www.rickandbubba.com/

Click Listen Live.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Banned
    What a nice surprise.... I get to sit home and listen thanks to the snow.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    What a nice surprise.... I get to sit home and listen thanks to the snow.
    I thought you'd like it.:D
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Hitchens coming up now.

Banned
    A good showing by "The Hitch" ;)

A good showing by "The Hitch" ;)
    I always enjoy hearing from both sides. Interesting to hear opposing views.

John Lennox, the man Hitchens is to debate tonight is on now. Same link as above.

Banned
    I missed this one... didnt wake up in time.

I missed this one... didnt wake up in time.
    John Lennox falls in the category I put myself in. Science and Christianity are right, and to discount one to prove the other is just ignorant.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    John Lennox falls in the category I put myself in. Science and Christianity are right, and to discount one to prove the other is just ignorant.
    I don't think science necessarily does that... science does make life harder for the apologist sure.. we've long since past the time where God can be considered a good explanation for anything.. and are now in a time where God has to be explained... in SPITE of reality.. but really the age old problems of needless suffering and evil are still just as potent faith destroyers as any scientific discovery.

If those two issues haven't swayed your faith, then I don't think many scientific theories or discoveries would... since thats where most scientific ideas like evolution really poke at religion... it simply makes one have to justify WAY more suffering than was originally imagined.

What really does religion in, is standards of evidence. One cannot use the same standards of evidence to judge religious belief that we require in any other area of prime importance and still have it come out the other side intact. One has to resort to "ways of knowing" like divine revelation.. which are just excuses to assign absolute truth status to personal whims, desires, or opinions without having to meet standards of evidence. Thats really the challenge for religion today... to justify why its ways of knowing truth are still valid despite modern rigorous standards of evidence.
    Last edited by wilbur; 03-03-2009 at 11:32 AM.