Thread: “Does this lead to everyone having a gun in our society?”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 “Does this lead to everyone having a gun in our society?” 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Gun-Control Supporters Show Outrage

Gun-control advocates across the country reacted with shock and outrage at the Supreme Court’s decision to strike down the District of Columbia’s ban on handguns today, saying the ruling would threaten gun-control measures in other states. If there was any doubt that other bans would be in peril, the National Rifle Association quickly put those questions to rest when it announced shortly after the ruling that it would file a flurry of lawsuits challenging restrictions in San Francisco, Chicago and several Chicago suburbs. snip

In Chicago, Mayor Richard M. Daley, a staunch supporter of gun control, called the decision “frightening” and said he was bracing for a fight with the gun lobby, which has long criticized the city’s ban on the sale and registration of handguns for everyone but police officers and a handful of others. Enacted in 1982, the law was created in response to the murders of two police officers and the assassination attempt on former president Ronald Reagan.

“Does this lead to everyone having a gun in our society?” he said at a news conference. “If they think that’s the answer, then they’re greatly mistaken. Then, why don’t we do away with the court system and go back to the Old West? You have a gun and I have a gun and we’ll settle in the streets.

“They’re changing the rules,” Mr. Daley said of the Supreme Court. “Why should we as a city not be able to protect ourselves from those who want guns in our society?”

Senator Dianne Feinstein, a former mayor of San Francisco, which also restricts the owning of guns, reacted strongly to the ruling, saying she was “viscerally affected” by it and worried for the nation’s safety.

“I speak as somebody who has watched this nation with its huge homicide rate, when countries that have sane restrictions on weapons do not have that homicide rate,” she said. “And I happen to believe that this is now going to open the door to litigation against every gun safety law that states have passed — assault weapons bans, trigger locks, and all the rest of it.”

The ruling was quickly seized upon by John McCain, who in recent months has tried to repair a fractured relationship with the gun lobby stemming from his support of regulations on gun sales at firearm shows and other restrictions. Mr. McCain praised the decision today, and used it to renew criticisms of his Democratic rival, Senator Barack Obama.

“Unlike the elitist view that believes Americans cling to guns out of bitterness, today’s ruling recognizes that gun ownership is a fundamental right — sacred, just as the right to free speech and assembly,” Mr. McCain said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/27/wa...=1&oref=slogin

Vepr
    Good. Any day that crowd is upset over a decision pertaining to the 2nd amendment it is a good thing. :D

These people are truly insane. They honestly believe that the only reason people don't gun down their own families or coworkers is a simple lack of weaponry. We have more murders because we have more people.

I'm personally happy that lefties hate guns so much. It's obvious from their rants that they personally would end every argument with a double tap to their opponent's head if they actually had a gun in hand.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    These people are truly insane. They honestly believe that the only reason people don't gun down their own families or coworkers is a simple lack of weaponry. We have more murders because we have more people.

I'm personally happy that lefties hate guns so much. It's obvious from their rants that they personally would end every argument with a double tap to their opponent's head if they actually had a gun in hand.
    The liberal mind is a thing to behold.When they get together at an' instant' party or some other liberal gathering the half baked conspiracy's theory's flow freely .The types of torture at Gitmo reaches epic proportions from electric shock to actual murders.Their view of the world is distorted due to some kind of glandular malfunction .The incidence of genetic insanity is rampant and the woman are horsey and full of themselves.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by op
    “Does this lead to everyone having a gun in our society?”
    Hopefully....yes.

Resident Grump
    “They’re changing the rules,” Mr. Daley said of the Supreme Court. “Why should we as a city not be able to protect ourselves from those who want guns in our society?”
    Funny...you didn't mind it when it went your way..and by the way, DC has had that gun ban in place since 1976. Gun crime has gone through the roof...so right now, what DC has proven is that gun laws do jack shit.

Resident Grump
    “I speak as somebody who has watched this nation with its huge homicide rate, when countries that have sane restrictions on weapons do not have that homicide rate,
    HORSESHIT

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegrap...006009,00.html

Sydney is in the grip of a wave of gun crime, with a weapon fired or used to menace innocent residents six days in every seven.
    Police figures show there have been no fewer than 40 incidents involving guns across the metropolitan region since the beginning of last month.

The presence of guns in so many recent crimes is at odds with the State Government's repeated insistence that the incidence of gun crime is continuing to fall dramatically.

The armed robbers, carjackers and home invaders have not discriminated between districts of the city, striking everywhere from Double Bay to Sydney's west, from the southern to the northern suburbs.
    The Supreme Court has ruled and Americans have their rights.

In Australia, it is forbidden to own ANY form of defensive weapon.

Knife:banned
    Brass knuckles :Banned
    Mace:Banned
    Pepper spray: Banned
    Guns: HELL NO
    Nunchuks:Banned
    Capsicum spray:Banned
    Batons:Banned
    Truncheon:Banned

Americans have the right to defend themselves.

Australians have the right to get down on their knees and beg for their lives.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Funny...you didn't mind it when it went your way..and by the way, DC has had that gun ban in place since 1976. Gun crime has gone through the roof...so right now, what DC has proven is that gun laws do jack shit.
    Don't you know? It's the lax, tolerant gun laws of Virginia and West Virgina that cause the violence in D.C! It's got nothing to do with a whole land full of sheep without a sheepdog among them, combined with an inadequate shepherd.

As the violence goes up the governmental retards in D.C. somehow believe that the very laws that have allowed and encouraged said violence are going to be the ultimate salvation from criminal violence.

Seriously! What a bunch of fucking retards! Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again while expecting a different result! Didn't these guys ever have a class in logic & philosiphy?

Maybe once D.C. becomes a "shall issue" federal territory, and it's crime drops in half people will start paying attention. I'm not convinced this will teach the gun grabbers a lesson though.

noonwitch
    Coleman Young was not a popular guy with white people, but he was known for carrying a gun always on him, even when he had body guards around him.

He was asked one time on Canadian tv about gun control-the canadian interviewer suggested that Detroit, because of it's high crime rate, should have stricter gun control than other communities, that have less gun-related crimes. He went off about why should the people of Detroit be forced to give up their guns when they are surrounded by the "hostile suburbs", who are allowed to have guns?

The law-abiding citizens of Detroit who own guns legally are not the ones getting gunned down, most of the time.

Vepr
    Sonnabend.

I was curious about the atmosphere during the gun banning and turn in that went on in Australia. Did anyone fight back? I am sure some people just quietly kept their firearms but I was surprised that there was not some sort of uprising. Did it happen in some places and just not get reported? I would like to think there would be a good bit of resistance if it happened here but I could be kidding myself.