Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Winter Storm Misinform 
    Banned
    As the U.S. experiences continued harsh winter weather, far too many people in the news media engage irresponsible commentary when they suggest that the vicissitudes of winter weather cast doubt on human caused climate change.

Derisive and sarcastic remarks about winter storms and global warming really only show a person’s ignorance with regard to the elementary distinction between climate and weather.

I find it appalling when media pundits dismiss decades of peer-reviewed research and consensus with misleading “talking points” from industry front groups and lobbyists. The opinions of the dominant majority of the world's scientific establishment are marginalized with straw man arguments.

The history of the Earth casts doubt on human caused climate change. The evidence of a causal relationship between climate change and human behavior is sketchy to say the least. But never fear, there are one or two members of CU that agree with you.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

I noticed Saturday that the temperature here was 66 degrees, which was 4 degrees above normal. Not that big a deal, then I noticed the record high was 88 degrees in 1918. My wife, who never comments on things like that says, "Huh, Global Warming."

Look, hippy, if you want to stop pollution so we have clean drinking water, recycle to be a good steward of the Earth, drive a Hybrid vehicle to save on fuel mileage, I applaud you. Let's just stop pretending that we're saving mankind from bursting into flames.

If your global warming leaders are serious about what they preach, why would they say," What industries are doing will destroy the Earth, but for a fee we'll allow it."? If they really believed what you are buying into, why allow it to happen for a price?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    I find it appalling when media pundits dismiss decades of peer-reviewed research and consensus with misleading “talking points” from industry front groups and lobbyists. The opinions of the dominant majority of the world's scientific establishment are marginalized with straw man arguments.

I take it that you are new to the whole "science" thingy. I'm a chemist in air quality analysis. If I had a buck for every crack pot idea that influenced public policy in air quality regulations, I'd could have retired years ago.

There is no consensus in science. Consensus is a social activity. Science is simply a suitable explanation for an observation. That explanation has to be verifiable, repeatable, and falsifiable. Those aren't my personal rules, that's the way it's done outside of theoretical physics.

Global warming is largely a full-employment act for grant writers, bureaucrats, and academicians. There was virtually no reputable peer review on the seminal papers that launched the GW hype. This is why those data sets were subsequently withdrawn after the math was shown to be in error. But there's a lot of money in GW as well as some fame and glory and that's why it's still rolling along. This certainly isn't the first time that the media and governments have bequeathed "official" status on bad science. It happens more often than you think.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    There is no consensus in science. Consensus is a social activity. Science is simply a suitable explanation for an observation. That explanation has to be verifiable, repeatable, and falsifiable. Those aren't my personal rules, that's the way it's done outside of theoretical physics.
    Where do I start... I thought CU was a place conservative thinkers came to discuss how to become relevant and be taken seriously again... it's not about liberal or Al Gore, it's about fact vs. fiction...

You can not back up any of your statements with facts from any legitimate scientific publication. The current consensus is the result of years of rigorous peer-review among academics and researchers.

I guess you're new to the whole "logical" argument thingy... See, you can't just make stuff up when presenting your case. And you can't make your case by presenting a misconstrued version or misrepresentation of another position... That's called a Straw Man argument. (I'm not even sure what you said constitutes as much...)

The oil and energy industries have had a decade to diversify and invest in new technologies. They decided to invest in a PR campaign to prolong the inevitable and support fools like James Inhofe...

The "Green Economy" and related industries are relatively new--and, yes, they're going to take full advantage of the current situation. However, to imply that Global Warming has been a decade long conspiracy to cash in when Dems get control is really thin. (perhaps restarted)

If the fossil fuel industry had been more proactive about self-regulating, they could have protected themselves from government regulation, which, by its nature will be overzealous at first... Unfortunately, some companies will go under. Coal is really going to have a hard time. And sadly it's the workforce that will be hurt the most, not the execs that made bad R&D decisions.

If conservative thinkers want to be taken seriously, we need to be honest in our critical examination of a policy or idea and not just reject something simply because it's supported by Dems.

When we support bad judgment, incompetence, greed, PR spin, we gain only in the short run--in angry little sound bites at a Palin rally, however when the chickens finally come home, we look like fools standing around scratching our heads wondering where all the WMD's are...

fact vs. fiction...
    Fact - man made global warming is fiction. Nuff said.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Fact - man made global warming is fiction. Nuff said.
    Thank you for illustrating (so very succinctly) my point about critical examination of a policy.

Also, nice use of the Nuff Said Fallacy or argumentum ad retardum

Thank you for illustrating (so very succinctly) my point about critical examination of a policy.

Also, nice use of the Nuff Said Fallacy or argumentum ad retardum
    the nuff said - or as you call it the arumentum ad retardum - argument is always the best approach when dealing with a global warming alarmist - AKA brainwashed retards.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Where do I start... I thought CU was a place conservative thinkers came to discuss how to become relevant and be taken seriously again... it's not about liberal or Al Gore, it's about fact vs. fiction...

You can not back up any of your statements with facts from any legitimate scientific publication. The current consensus is the result of years of rigorous peer-review among academics and researchers.
    Yeah, I noticed the rigorous citations and references in your original post.

Again, science is not about "consensus". On the contrary, widely held views have repeatedly proven to be false through testing and observation. This isn't to say that science is immune from popular thought - far from it. Popular thought often has led scientific inquiry; sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad.

Why don't you start a new thread in GD and posit your position (with appropriate citations and references, if you want to do it that way). Pick one aspect of your overall viewpoint to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Yeah, I noticed the rigorous citations and references in your original post.

Again, science is not about "consensus". On the contrary, widely held views have repeatedly proven to be false through testing and observation. This isn't to say that science is immune from popular thought - far from it. Popular thought often has led scientific inquiry; sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad.

Why don't you start a new thread in GD and posit your position (with appropriate citations and references, if you want to do it that way). Pick one aspect of your overall viewpoint to discuss.
    The disciples of the Church of Global Warming allow me a luxury I rarely indulge in... I get to point and laugh.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis