Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1 Obama may use 50-vote tactic on energy, healthcare 
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...009-03-01.html

    By Jim Snyder
    Posted: 03/01/09 12:19 PM [ET]
    President Obama’s budget director said the White House would consider using a Senate procedural tactic so that only 50 votes would be rquired to pass major healthcare and energy reforms.

    Peter Orszag, the director of the Office of Management and Budget, said the administration would prefer not to use the budget reconciliation process to push through its package.
    But he added: "We have to keep everything on the table. We want to get these.... important things done this year." Orszag called healthcare in particular "the key to our fiscal future."

    Orszag made the comments on ABC’s "This Week with George Stephanopoulos."

    Because they can not be filibustered, budget reconciliations only require 50 votes to pass the Senate. Democrats hold strong majorities in Congress, but still come up short of the 60 votes necessary in the Senate to end debate, which makes it easier for Republicans to block legislation. House rules in comparison make it harder for the minority party to stop bills.

    REMEMBER - with the left - all that matters is power - specifically - THEIR power.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/...009-03-01.html

    By Jim Snyder
    Posted: 03/01/09 12:19 PM [ET]
    President Obama’s budget director said the White House would consider using a Senate procedural tactic so that only 50 votes would be rquired to pass major healthcare and energy reforms.

    Peter Orszag, the director of the Office of Management and Budget, said the administration would prefer not to use the budget reconciliation process to push through its package.
    But he added: "We have to keep everything on the table. We want to get these.... important things done this year." Orszag called healthcare in particular "the key to our fiscal future."

    Orszag made the comments on ABC’s "This Week with George Stephanopoulos."

    Because they can not be filibustered, budget reconciliations only require 50 votes to pass the Senate. Democrats hold strong majorities in Congress, but still come up short of the 60 votes necessary in the Senate to end debate, which makes it easier for Republicans to block legislation. House rules in comparison make it harder for the minority party to stop bills.

    REMEMBER - with the left - all that matters is power - specifically - THEIR power.
    I wonder why dumb ass Bush did not push those types of programs like energy thru Congress when he had a majority in Congress. He could have slashed agencies and cut spending. My worst nightmare has come true. King Obama, Queen Pisslosi and dirty Harry can do anything they want. The Repubs are so impertinent, they could pack their bags and go home.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,003
    If the budget vote goes down like that, it will really be bad for everyone. The more vindictiveness and overzealous partisanship that goes on, the less productive work gets done.

    Although, the news media focuses on the disagreements and conflicts, if you go on the smaller committee websites or watch specific hearings on c-span, you'll see that individual committees really function as a team sharing research and report writing responsibilities along with constructive debate leading to solid recommendations.

    Unfortunately, on the spending bills, solid research, debate, and smart committee recommendations are swallowed up by the bigger machine, chewed up in the majority agenda and spit out for a vote.

    The procedural rules and traditions do favor the majority, however, that's the point, isn't it? We(Cons) had a tremendous opportunity to really take the US to great places. If the Bush tax cuts had been partnered with prudent market and banking regs, then who knows...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    If the Bush tax cuts had been partnered with prudent market and banking regs, then who knows...
    It was regs that cause the problem in the first place. Regs requiring banks to make subprime loans.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    It was regs that cause the problem in the first place. Regs requiring banks to make subprime loans.
    Right, the devil made them do it... Fannie May has tried to blame the CRA but that argument falls apart when you understand that the act "encourage regulated financial institutions to meet the credit needs of the local communities in which they are chartered, consistent with safe and sound operation."

    Every investigation of the subprime fiasco has found that it was almost exclusively the independent mortgage companies making the risky loans at more than twice the rate of the banks and thrifts, and that most CRA loans were responsibly made.

    I'll repeat what I said in the post: Prudent Regulation. Flood the market with investment capitol by cutting or eliminating capital gains and corporate taxes, but... be mindful that bankers and brokers don't get too creative for the investors' own good...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Right, the devil made them do it... Fannie May has tried to blame the CRA but that argument falls apart when you understand that the act "encourage regulated financial institutions to meet the credit needs of the local communities in which they are chartered, consistent with safe and sound operation."

    Every investigation of the subprime fiasco has found that it was almost exclusively the independent mortgage companies making the risky loans at more than twice the rate of the banks and thrifts, and that most CRA loans were responsibly made.

    I'll repeat what I said in the post: Prudent Regulation. Flood the market with investment capitol by cutting or eliminating capital gains and corporate taxes, but... be mindful that bankers and brokers don't get too creative for the investors' own good...
    Fannie may and freddie mack are the perps here. They are the ones pushing the bad loans as dictated by the congress. BTW- where are these investigations? You got links? Who conducted them? The MSM?? The government? Who?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Fannie may and freddie mack are the perps here. They are the ones pushing the bad loans as dictated by the congress. BTW- where are these investigations? You got links? Who conducted them? The MSM?? The government? Who?
    Are you one of these people who is only comfortable knowing what you know, only hearing that which confirms your beliefs, unconsciously blocking everything else out. Do you resist even considering the counter argument for fear it might be right?

    With the invention of the Internet there is an abundance of information available for getting better informed and general fact checking. I mention this because your statement reveals a total lack of understanding about Freddie, Fannie, secondary markets, pooling, GSE's, etc.

    The investigations I mentioned were know as "Public Hearings" available to the public via another invention known as cable TV.

    http://oversight.house.gov/story.asp?ID=2252

    More background on CRA
    in case your interested...
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    Are you one of these people who is only comfortable knowing what you know, only hearing that which confirms your beliefs, unconsciously blocking everything else out. Do you resist even considering the counter argument for fear it might be right?

    With the invention of the Internet there is an abundance of information available for getting better informed and general fact checking. I mention this because your statement reveals a total lack of understanding about Freddie, Fannie, secondary markets, pooling, GSE's, etc.

    The investigations I mentioned were know as "Public Hearings" available to the public via another invention known as cable TV.

    http://oversight.house.gov/story.asp?ID=2252

    More background on CRA
    in case your interested...
    Wow you are smug aren't ya! How is the rarefied air up there in your ivory tower? I'm so glad to see that you have decided to attack me rather than to offer the evidence you claim supports your view. When you have some evidence and not just words - you come back and you let us know - K?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member MrsSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by hazlnut View Post
    If the budget vote goes down like that, it will really be bad for everyone. The more vindictiveness and overzealous partisanship that goes on, the less productive work gets done.

    Although, the news media focuses on the disagreements and conflicts, if you go on the smaller committee websites or watch specific hearings on c-span, you'll see that individual committees really function as a team sharing research and report writing responsibilities along with constructive debate leading to solid recommendations.

    Unfortunately, on the spending bills, solid research, debate, and smart committee recommendations are swallowed up by the bigger machine, chewed up in the majority agenda and spit out for a vote.

    The procedural rules and traditions do favor the majority, however, that's the point, isn't it? We(Cons) had a tremendous opportunity to really take the US to great places. If the Bush tax cuts had been partnered with prudent market and banking regs, then who knows...
    We (Cons)? Spend a lot of time at the DUmp, do you?

    As for the argument that the CRA didn't cause the housing bubble and meltdown of the economy, how then do you explain the stories coming out of the MSM about so many of the failed loans belonging to ... you'll never guess ... minorities and single mothers? The fact that the government nearly put quotas on loans to make sure that minorities and single mothers received the loans they wanted ... even if they couldn't really afford them ... was the foundation of the moronic "creative financing" that damaged our economy even more than 9/11.
    -
    -
    -

    In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

    Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Wow you are smug aren't ya! How is the rarefied air up there in your ivory tower? I'm so glad to see that you have decided to attack me rather than to offer the evidence you claim supports your view. When you have some evidence and not just words - you come back and you let us know - K?

    See that underlined part--that's called a link...when you click on it, it takes you to another website with the evidence you so desire...

    be warned, going to the other website will require reading...
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •