1. #1 Police Shoot, Kill Woman Who Threatened Suicide ,Suicide By Cop . 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Police Shoot, Kill Woman Who Threatened Suicide

LA TUNA CANYON, Calif. -- A woman threatening to shoot herself at her home in La Tuna Canyon was fatally shot by SWAT officers after she allegedly pointed a weapon at them, according to police.

The standoff -- which began about 7:30 p.m. Thursday when the woman called police and threatened suicide -- ended in gunfire about noon Friday, said Officer Rosario Herrera of the Los Angeles Police Department's Media Relations office.No officers were hurt, Herrera said.

When officers from the LAPD's Foothill Station arrived Thursday night at the residence in the 8900 block of La Tuna Canyon Road, west of Wildwood Fire Road, they were met by two adults who told them that the woman had fired shots from a handgun and had threatened to kill herself, Herrera said.
    snip.

Negotiators worked throughout the night and into the morning to try to resolve the situation, Herrera said.

About 11:45 a.m., the woman, whose name was not immediately released, "walked out with a gun," Herrera said. "Officers told her to stop and put the gun down, but she refused to comply."The woman walked toward a SWAT vehicle and SWAT officers, and was hit with a "less lethal round" deployed by an officer, Herrera said.

At that point, she allegedly raised her weapon toward officers and was shot, Herrera said.

It was not immediately clear if the woman fired her weapon at officers, according to Herrera.The wounded woman was taken to a hospital, where she died.

La Tuna Canyon Road remained closed during the standoff in both directions from Elben Avenue to the Foothill (210) Freeway.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29554988/

Banned
    Suicide by Cop is a pretty crappy way to kill yourself. The estate should get stuck with a bill for the service. When I defended cops, there'd sometimes be a case where the family would SUE the police after suicide-by-cop, and WIN.

I think its a shame that the police would kill someone who obviously was trying to get killed. Whenever I see a story like this, I wonder whether the police couldn't just shoot the person in the arm or like. While the police obviously have to treat a weapon pointed at them as though the person may shoot...I think the police could have some sense of humanity and shoot these type of people where it wouldn't kill them.
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post
    I think its a shame that the police would kill someone who obviously was trying to get killed. Whenever I see a story like this, I wonder whether the police couldn't just shoot the person in the arm or like. While the police obviously have to treat a weapon pointed at them as though the person may shoot...I think the police could have some sense of humanity and shoot these type of people where it wouldn't kill them.
    They aren't allowed to intentionally wound. This bitch would have survived and sued the cop, the department, the municipality, the state, etc. and the ACLU would have been there pushing her along. Furthermore - she turned the gun on them. Should they have waited until she killed first? No. What happened was tragic - but sometimes people have to make the hard choices.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

As much as suicides bother me, it would have been less trouble to just let her do it. If the police hadn't responded or just backed off then there is an excellent chance she would not have gone through with it.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    As much as suicides bother me, it would have been less trouble to just let her do it. If the police hadn't responded or just backed off then there is an excellent chance she would not have gone through with it.
    Thats a big chance to take though in these situations where the police don't know the backgrounds of these people.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Thats a big chance to take though in these situations where the police don't know the backgrounds of these people.
    Generally people who are intent on killing themselves don't threaten to do it, they just do it. People who make threats either want some attention or want someone else to kill them. Just a semi-educated opinion...

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    right. She could just as easily have gone on a shooting spree through the neighborhood or down as the local school. :(
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.