1. #1 One Africans not so cheery outlook on the continent. 
    Vepr
    Only good thing about being stuck at work late is being able to read interesting things while waiting for the guys on the other side of the phone to finish up their work.

http://www.theothersideofkim.com/index.php/essays/36/

noonwitch
    That's a sad read. I do understand the reality of situations in many african nations, but I also don't think the rest of the world should just stand by and watch the people all die, either.

Kenya is a nation that has responded to missionaries, has tourism potential, and desires strong ties with the west. South Africa has a lot of problems with crime and violence, but has wealth and resources and does not have a corrupt idiot like Mugabe in charge.

Kim is a perceptive guy, I used to enjoy reading his old site.

I think he's correct that there is nothing we are doing which is working. What sort of/kind of worked was the massive injection of Christian missionaries under colonialism. They created schools, hospitals, and business opportunities for people. They educated them out of superstition and tribalism (or certainly tried) and sent the best back to be educated as doctors and leaders.

However, this only worked because they had absolutely no illusions about cultural diversity - Western culture was superior. Cultural behaviors that conflicted with Western notions of fairness, rule of law, and all the rest were ruthlessly suppressed. Those who grew up under this system were healthier and more prosperous than their neighbors but they were also alienated from their neighbors so this would never happen today.

noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Kim is a perceptive guy, I used to enjoy reading his old site.

I think he's correct that there is nothing we are doing which is working. What sort of/kind of worked was the massive injection of Christian missionaries under colonialism. They created schools, hospitals, and business opportunities for people. They educated them out of superstition and tribalism (or certainly tried) and sent the best back to be educated as doctors and leaders.

However, this only worked because they had absolutely no illusions about cultural diversity - Western culture was superior. Cultural behaviors that conflicted with Western notions of fairness, rule of law, and all the rest were ruthlessly suppressed. Those who grew up under this system were healthier and more prosperous than their neighbors but they were also alienated from their neighbors so this would never happen today.

American missionaries and ministries have a very high profile in Kenya right now. TD Jakes had a series of shows about his church's work there. Most denominations of all stripes have a presence in most parts of Africa. My church was sponsoring an orphange in South Africa for children of people who have died of AIDS. As much as I am a liberal democrat at heart and am supposed to loathe all Bush policies, I actually give him credit for his policies toward African nations, and credit his daughters for their work there. There are nations that are trying to stablize, like Tanzania and Kenya, that keep getting wave after wave of refugees from their neighboring countries.