Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Good grief. How can anyone think universal health care provided by the government is a good idea. Ask anyone who is a patient how they like it and they will tell you it is horrible. I have heard so many horror stories of people having to wait months for treatment even when they are in pain. Mass. instituted a "everyone must have health insurance" policy and is finding that to be so overwhelming to the system people are waiting for months for a routine appointment. People figure if they are paying for insurance they need to get their monies worth. We already pay for the uninsured and people who can't pay for care. We don't need anymore added to it.

Eyelids
    Healthcare is a right, not a priviledge.

Since when? Where in our Constitution or Bill of Rights does it say that? No one has proven that we have a need for it yet. I live in a rural small town and like every place I have ever lived the local clinic never turns anyone away regardless of ability to pay. Our expansive welfare system provides for those who need it and many who do not. Why isn't that good enough for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Shooster View Post
    Good grief. How can anyone think universal health care provided by the government is a good idea. Ask anyone who is a patient how they like it and they will tell you it is horrible. I have heard so many horror stories of people having to wait months for treatment even when they are in pain. Mass. instituted a "everyone must have health insurance" policy and is finding that to be so overwhelming to the system people are waiting for months for a routine appointment. People figure if they are paying for insurance they need to get their monies worth. We already pay for the uninsured and people who can't pay for care. We don't need anymore added to it.
    If the boldened part is true, then why do they keep voting for leaders that will keep it in in the other countries?

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    If the boldened part is true, then why do they keep voting for leaders that will keep it in in the other countries?

Ha, an easy one! Once the government takes something over it never lets go, if it dont work, they just throw more of our money at it!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Look at how long it took to get our own meaningful Welfare reform. Then all the ads came out pushing Grandma's wheelchair down the stairs and kids out on the street. The people against any Government reforms are always very vocal. Usually they are trying to protect their own job.

A lot of people aren't one topic voters.

I honestly don't follow Canadien or UK elections closely. Has anyone ran on the platform of dismantling universal healthcare? I've certainly read and heard enough about reformation, but I can't recall anyone committed to dismantling.

I'm not saying our current system is perfect. I do think it's better than a Universal plan. Provisions are already in place for the elderly, for children and anyone, legal, illegal, rich or poor has access to life saving measures at little or no cost.
    Last edited by Space Gravy; 05-31-2008 at 09:56 AM.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    I think it's a good idea.

Everybody gets their medical care paid for.

Tell me why it's not a good idea.

Note: I promise to be nice. :)
    Dear, hopelessly confused,liberal Bridie, haven't you read of the horror stories of socialized medicine in Canada and the UK.They refuse to treat the obese,the smokers,the insane,the very old ,those with chronic medical problems and those who are terminal And one day you will no doubt fit one of those categories .

The only doctors who will work for the UK system are new from Bangladesh or some village in the Northern Punjab.In Canada when/if you have a serious medical problem they ship you to the USA for treatment as they have limited medical facility's and fewer qualified doctors and the ones they do have have a high mortality rate during surgery and in the UK you are totally screwed !
    Last edited by megimoo; 05-31-2008 at 07:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    Healthcare is a right, not a priviledge.
    There is so much wrong with that premise I hardly know where to start. I suppose you are going to say that driving is a right as well? Same idea.

I have seen so much abuse in the healthcare system after working in it for 15 years. I have people come to me and demand that I take them to the hospital because they have the Missouri "Gold" card. They could care less that they actually need an ambulance, they just have no other ride so they expect you to taxi them around and the taxpayer foots the bill.

I have seen kids come into the ER at 3 in the morning because of head lice. HEAD LICE!! The grandmother that brought this poor kid in was waving his Gold card that morning too. If he comes to the ER, they don't have to go to Wal-Mart and spend the $4 it takes to buy the shampoo to get rid of it. The hospital provides it.

This is the NORM, folks. These people are not the exception.

Tell me why it's not a good idea.
    Google: Sweden's tax rates. That's why.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)