Thread: Is Kim Jong il gonna do it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Is Kim Jong il gonna do it? 
    Anyone taking bets on whether the Beloved Leader has realized this is a great time to invade South Korea? If he doesn't send his million man army over the line, he really is nuts. He won't have an opportunity this good probably ever again. I don't think ANYONE except South Korea would lift a finger to stop him.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Anyone taking bets on whether the Beloved Leader has realized this is a great time to invade South Korea? If he doesn't send his million man army over the line, he really is nuts. He won't have an opportunity this good probably ever again. I don't think ANYONE except South Korea would lift a finger to stop him.
    Despite the fact that people like Gator want to see the blood of millions of S. Koreans flooding the streets, we'd still step up and take the fight to them. Obama may have made some ballsy moves these first couple months, but I don't think he's got the fortitude to turn his back on S. Korea. Especially after the hundreds to thousands of casualties our forces would sustain in that initial attack.

Resident Grump
    Abandoning S Korea would make the US a pariah amongst its allies. Obama would be sending the message that the US will not keep its obligations..and THAT has massive national security consequences.

Super Moderator Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Despite the fact that people like Gator want to see the blood of millions of S. Koreans flooding the streets, we'd still step up and take the fight to them. Obama may have made some ballsy moves these first couple months, but I don't think he's got the fortitude to turn his back on S. Korea. Especially after the hundreds to thousands of casualties our forces would sustain in that initial attack.

I don't think Gator would like to see that.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    I don't think Gator would like to see that.
    He wants a total withdrawel of US forces and doesn't want us to help them out in the event of hostilities. That is exactly what will happen if we do pull out of there.

It's difficult to tell with crazy people whether they actually will follow through on their threats or whether they are just trying to scare people. That applies to Kim Jong II as much as it does to the crazy cat woman down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Abandoning S Korea would make the US a pariah amongst its allies. Obama would be sending the message that the US will not keep its obligations..and THAT has massive national security consequences.
    you mean like how we abandoned the south Vietnamese under Carter? Or the Shah under Carter? and how those displays of weakness are what prompted the Islamic extremists to make a target out of America?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I'm thinking Obama could say we're fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan and we have a severe economic crisis going on. He surely would blame Bush for not being in a position to help S.K.. Before the election all the Dems kept saying was the war is in Afghanistan not Iraq. Less than 60 days into his admin, he says we are losing in Afghanistan and need to negotiate what our enemies see as our surrender.

As a CIC, this guy sucks. His generals ask for 30,000 men and he gives them 17K. When asked if we're winning the war he flatly says no. His solution is to find some of our enemies who aren't quite so barbaric and negotiate. The word 'victory' seems to be a dirty word to him. I say that because I've never heard him use it.

The Israelis are broadcasting their intention to stop Iran from building a bomb. From what I can see we're totally hands off on that. Of course if Israel follows through, all hell is gonna break loose in the M.E.

When Russia invaded Georgia, it took him several days to even muster a stern verbal response.

Isn't it common knowledge that Obama picked Biden because Obama had no foreign affairs experience. Well the joke is on us. Obama is pathetic and he is head and shoulders above Biden. We are virtually leaderless right now.

If Kim doesn't take S.K. right now he is nuts.
    Last edited by AlmostThere; 03-10-2009 at 07:24 PM.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

It would be a blood bath if NK invaded SK...NK may have a million man army...but SK's 500K + army is fighting on the defensive. The army on the defense normally has some marked advantaged over the army on offense. There is also training to consider, and national morale, and as always the question as to whether NK will further invoke the ire of the international community and use nukes. Once one country uses them, everyone is going to want to.

The funny part of it all is, due to treaty...if hostilities were to break out, overall command of the SK forces would transfer from the SK joint chiefs to the US (though that is currently in the works of being changed...2012 is the tentative date) So unless Obama withdraws all our troops right now...it wouldn't really matter what he wanted as we would assume command of the army anyway. I spoze he could order our guys to not do anything...he is unfortunately the CIC...but is he really willing to violate the terms of the UN treaty and flaunt further idiocy in the international community? We shall wait and see.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...y/dod/usfk.htm
    my reference to my claim of the command structure falling back to the US in the event of hostilities
    “The characteristic of genuine heroism is its persistency. All men have wandering impulses, fits and starts of generosity. But when you have resolved to be great, abide by yourself, and do not weakly try to reconcile yourself with the world. The heroic cannot be the common, nor the common the heroic.”
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Freedom is the natural yearning of the human sprit as we were endowed by our creator.
    Rush Limbaugh CPAC 09

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    you mean like how we abandoned the south Vietnamese under Carter? Or the Shah under Carter? and how those displays of weakness are what prompted the Islamic extremists to make a target out of America?
    Well.....yea.