1. #1 San Francisco ranks low on ‘manly city’ list,New York Lower still . 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    San Francisco ranks low on ‘manly city’ list .

San Francisco is the 48th on a list of 50 of "manly" cities.
    – Who knew? Apparently having too many home furnishing stores in your city is a sign of being “unmanly.”

At least that’s the conclusion of a study released this week that ranks “America’s Manliest Cities” on criteria such as the number of professional major league sports teams, popularity of tools and hardware and frequency of monster truck rallies.

Nashville came out on top in the study conducted by Sperling’s BestPlaces. New York City finished last out of 50 of the largest U.S. metropolitan areas.Rounding out the top five were: Charlotte, N.C., Oklahoma City, Cincinnati and Denver.

San Francisco was toward the bottom of the list, ranking 48th. It did, however, outrank New York City, which placed last at No. 50.

The list

A list of the “Top 50 Manliest Cities” according to a snack-food study that ranks cities on criteria such as the number of professional major league sports teams, popularity of tools and hardware, and frequency of monster truck rallies:
    1. Nashville, Tenn.
    2. Charlotte, N.C.
    3. Oklahoma City
    4. Cincinnati
    5. Denver
    6. St. Louis
    7. Columbus, Ohio
    8. Kansas City, Mo.
    9. Indianapolis
    10. Toledo, Ohio
    11. Memphis, Tenn.
    12. Richmond, Va.
    13. Columbia, S.C.
    14. Orlando, Fla.
    snip
    21. Jacksonville, Fla.
    22. Phoenix
    23. Birmingham, Ala.
    24. Grand Rapids, Mich.
    25. Tampa-St. Petersburg, Fla.
    26. Harrisburg, Pa.
    27. New Orleans
    28. Las Vegas
    snip.
    37. Baltimore
    38. Boston
    39. Houston
    40. Seattle
    41. Sacramento, Calif.
    42. Miami
    43. San Diego
    44. Oakland, Calif.
    45. Washington, D.C.
    46. Chicago
    47. Portland, Ore.
    48. San Francisco
    49. Los Angeles
    50. New York
    http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/San-...-40877142.html

HEY! You snipped important cities from the list there moo! :mad:

Please note that Pittsburgh is more manly than is Philidelphia, dallas, Atlanta, and Buffalo

# 29. Pittsburgh
    # 30. Philadelphia
    # 31. Louisville, Ky.
    # 32. Atlanta
    # 33. Providence, R.I.
    # 34. Dallas
    # 35. Buffalo, N.Y.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Detroit isn't even on the list, but Grand Rapids is.

That's funny, because when I went to my class reunion in GR a few years back, everyone kept asking me "You do what, where?", like they are afraid of Detroit.

New Yorkers are wimps. They think they are tough and mean. When I went there in 1990, I was walking around Central Park alone, wearing a "Bad Boys" Pistons hat. This big guy walked up to me and asked me if I was from Detroit or the suburbs. I told him Detroit, and he said "Have a nice day" and walked away. To this day, I wonder if he was planning to mug me until he realized that a white girl from Detroit must be pretty tough.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Detroit isn't even on the list, but Grand Rapids is.

That's funny, because when I went to my class reunion in GR a few years back, everyone kept asking me "You do what, where?", like they are afraid of Detroit.

New Yorkers are wimps. They think they are tough and mean. When I went there in 1990, I was walking around Central Park alone, wearing a "Bad Boys" Pistons hat. This big guy walked up to me and asked me if I was from Detroit or the suburbs. I told him Detroit, and he said "Have a nice day" and walked away. To this day, I wonder if he was planning to mug me until he realized that a white girl from Detroit must be pretty tough.
    8 Mile was based on the life of NoonWitch.;):D
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    8 Mile was based on the life of NoonWitch.;):D

I live just north of 8 Mile Rd, and I passed that trailer park every day while they were shooting the movie. I swear Enimen used to go to my church when the famous woman I won't name was the pastor.

But I grew up 145 miles away, in suburban Grand Rapids, so it really isn't my story. It is a good movie, though. I went to my mom's church in GR about the time it was at theaters, and the people there kept asking me "Is Detroit really like that", and I had to say "yes".