1. #1 Birth Control Causes Porkerhood. 
    Birth-control shot linked to weight gain

4:00 PM, March 5, 2009

The birth-control shot, a popular contraceptive choice among teenagers, causes significant weight gain and an increase in body fat, according to a study published in the current issue of the American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology.

The shot is comprised of the drug depot medroxyprogesterone acetate, or DMPA, which is administered once every three months to halt ovulation. The contraceptive, also known by the brand name Depo-Provera, is used by about 2 million American women, including 400,000 teenagers. Its advantages are the infrequent administration along with the fact that it's inexpensive and has a low failure rate.

But the study, by Dr. Abbey Berenson and her colleagues at the University of Texas Medical Branch, found that women who used the contraceptive gained an average of 11 pounds and increased their body fat by 3.4% over three years. After the women switched to a non-hormonal contraceptive they began to slowly lose the weight and fat they gained. But women who switched to oral contraceptives after the shots gained an average of four more pounds over the next two years. The study included 703 women. Overall, the DMPA users were more than twice as likely as women using non-hormonal birth control to become obese over the next three years. The researchers are now conducting follow-up studies to determine which subset of women is most likely to gain weight on DMPA. Preliminary data from this study show that about 25% of women on the medication experience significant and potentially dangerous body composition changes.
    Well, if they gained enough weight, eventually the reproductive sex opportunities would probably stop.

LATimes

Power CUer
    Repeated childbearing isn't exactly great for the figure, either. :D
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Repeated childbearing isn't exactly great for the figure, either. :D
    True, but that's mostly a matter of slippage. I've never used hormonal birth control so I've always found it somewhat alarming. I don't eat soy because feedlot cattle do and I've seen what it does to them. Who knows what some of these hormonal methods do to women over years and years?

I don't know much about birth control, but using chemical methods for years on end can't be good for a woman's body.

I have made this observation, in 22 years working in children's services-I'm pretty sure that crack cocaine makes women more fertile.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    . I don't eat soy because feedlot cattle do and I've seen what it does to them.
    Well damnit!! You can't just stop there. I may be the only one who admits it, but I'm not the only one who doesn't know..

What does soy do to feedlot cattle?

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd-try View Post
    Well damnit!! You can't just stop there. I may be the only one who admits it, but I'm not the only one who doesn't know..

It makes them gay....
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Have you ever noticed hoe efminate guys who drink soy are?? :eek:

The only time I eat soy of any kind is with chinese food. Love me some Hot and Sour soup :)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Lewis Black stated that they call it Soy Milk because no one would drink it if they called it what it is, 'Soy Juice".

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd-try View Post
    It makes them fat and even stupider than they already are. It probably would make steers gay except the soy sucks out what little sexual ambition they may left with at that point.

Also, if you feed it to them for too long, they get a lot of tumors.

Gingersnap said "True, but that's mostly a matter of slippage........."

Tell me about it. :D