Thread: The Dangers Of Not Drinking (News You Can Use!)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1 The Dangers Of Not Drinking (News You Can Use!) 
    THE DANGERS OF NOT DRINKING

    March 10, 2009 --

    THOSE who seek salvation in a bottle may have found their muse. Dr. Malcolm Lloyd, a Johns Hopkins and Dartmouth-trained physician and former pharmaceutical clinical researcher, will appear on "Good Morning America" this week to espouse the health benefits of daily drinking. "A lot of research shows that people who drink moderately flat-out live longer than those who don't," Lloyd tells Page Six. "From the pre vention of the common cold to the pre- vention of the onset of Alzheimer's to preventing certain types of cancer, regular drinking can be very beneficial." Whereas most research has focused on wine, he says spirits can provide the same boon. Lloyd notes that "moderation" means one to two drinks a day for women and one to three drinks a day for men, and, "the positive effects start going in the other direction" once those numbers are exceeded.
    Interesting.

    NY Post
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Neither one of my parents drank. My dad lived to 99 and my mom to 93. My mom's brother and my dad's 3sisters made it to around 90 and were all teetotalers. The author minimizes the effects of excessive drinking. As an ex smoker and drinker, I would advise any young person to not pick up that first drink, first smoke, first joint, first snort, etc. You may get hooked and if that happens, you are in serious danger.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Posts
    13,581
    Perhaps we as a society should re-think the sin tax on booze. As a drinker I'm sick of paying for through the nose for the health deficiencies of those who swill orange juice and milk.

    Let them pay for their own degenerate lifestyle.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    the pre- vention of the onset of Alzheimer's
    I think this is reason enough to have at least one a day.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    7,768
    three drinks a day for men
    I wonder if having all 21 on a Saturday night has the same benefits.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Pleasant Valley
    Posts
    639
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    I wonder if having all 21 on a Saturday night has the same benefits.
    Wimp!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Water Closet View Post
    Wimp!
    These kids nowadays...
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    39,653
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I think this is reason enough to have at least one a day.
    Depends on your definition of "one", sort of like Clinton's "is". If one a day is a bottle of beer or glass of wine, it's definable. Those mixed drinks are something else. My definition is one shot of liquor. SR pours it. He told me he'll get a large shot glass. :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    BSR
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Neither one of my parents drank. My dad lived to 99 and my mom to 93. My mom's brother and my dad's 3sisters made it to around 90 and were all teetotalers. The author minimizes the effects of excessive drinking. As an ex smoker and drinker, I would advise any young person to not pick up that first drink, first smoke, first joint, first snort, etc. You may get hooked and if that happens, you are in serious danger.
    Just think of how long they would have lived if they drank !!! :eek:
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Depends on your definition of "one", sort of like Clinton's "is". If one a day is a bottle of beer or glass of wine, it's definable. Those mixed drinks are something else. My definition is one shot of liquor. SR pours it. He told me he'll get a large shot glass. :D
    I'm partian to long island iced teas myself . . . . just one a day will suffice. ;) Currently I'm at like 1 a month.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •