Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Brits Ban Winning For Pee-Wee Soccer Players. 
    Children under eight banned from competitive football - because it's too stressful

By Vanessa Allen
    Last updated at 8:55 AM on 27th June 2008

Children under the age of eight have been banned from playing in football leagues and cups amid fears they are under too much pressure from competitive parents.

Youngsters can still play matches but results must be kept private and no league tables can be compiled, according to the ruling from the Football Association.

And they should not compete in knockout tournaments where trophies or medals are at stake as FA officials fear the pressure could be too great.

The Football Association has banned young children from playing competitive matches because the 'pressure' to win is too much (file picture)

The move - due to be enforced when the new season starts in September - is aimed at protecting children from pushy parents and aggressive coaches on the touchline, and from peer pressure and bullying.

But junior league organisers argue it is essential that youngsters learn about winning and losing.

Kevin Warrington, whose undereights team finished bottom of their league in Hampshire last season, said: 'If you look at our results we only won one game and we lost one of our first games 21-0.

'But the boys were playing together as a team, they were making new friends and enjoying the environment in which they were doing that. They didn't care if they lost.'

Graham Spencer, secretary of Colden Common youth football club near Winchester, Hampshire, added: 'I am not sure how you can actually play football non-competitively.'
    Do the adults think that kids are too stupid to notice who scores? :eek:

Losers

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Do the adults think that kids are too stupid to notice who scores? :eek:

Losers
    It's soccer. The brits are just simplyfying the process. Instead of a thousand tie games at 0-0 or 1-1 and an occasional blowout at 0-1 or 1-2, they are just assuming every game is going to end in a tie.

Besides, kids that play soccer aren't going to grow up to be men, they're going to grow up to be some starbucks-swilling metrosexual who has to get his nails done every Friday.

Real men play real football, and I don't see them taking the enjoyment out of that anytime soon.

:D :D :D

noonwitch
    My sister's kids play in a softball league with similar rules. The girls don't pitch until they are 9 or 10, either, although this is probably a good idea-they tend to get bone spurs in their elbows, if they start pitching too young.

I can see not having winners/losers with little kids, like the 4 and 5 year olds. 7 and 8 year olds are a different matter.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    There are leagues like that here. Tristan was in one for one season when he was around 6. It disgusted me. The kids still kept score but would be told to "be quiet" when caught discussing it.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Ridiculous. And they ought to ban the practice of everyone getting a trophy just because they played on a team. Trophy's are for winners...pizza after the game is for everyone else. The indigestion is their symbol of participation, not a bronze statue.

How about an All-Star Game canceled because the all-stars will hurt the feelings of those that aren't good enough?

All-Star Game Canceled.
    Yes..this camera is heavy.
    No...you can't be on TV.
    Look kid, go bother the reporter...I'm busy!!!

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Ridiculous. And they ought to ban the practice of everyone getting a trophy just because they played on a team. Trophy's are for winners...pizza after the game is for everyone else. The indigestion is their symbol of participation, not a bronze statue.
    Ack! I know! You should have seen the looks I got when I refused to "pitch in" for feel good trophies when Tristan's team had a losing season.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Goldwater
    This happens all over the world, I don't exactly care, but it does.

Brits Ban Winning For Pee-Wee Soccer Players.
    I think England's done it for their National team as well.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    I think England's done it for their National team as well.
    Zing, excellent shot.