1. #1 Are you a commie, or a citizen? 
    I just discovered this old instructional video (probably from the early 40's) on what it means to be an American, and enjoyed it very much. It's more relevant now than ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w86QhV7whjs
    "If you bound the arms and legs of gold-medal swimmer Michael Phelps, weighed him down with chains, threw him in a pool and he sank, you wouldn't call it a 'failure of swimming'. So, when markets have been weighted down by inept and excessive regulation, why call this a 'failure of capitalism'?"

Crap. We've lost so much. :mad:

Power CUer
    I do think we need to start teaching civics again, especially since we have such a large immigrant population now; they're not going to pick it up by osmosis.
    I hope the dorky clothes and haircuts are never coming back, though.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Crap. We've lost so much. :mad:
    Absolutely. I've just been reading about the great storyteller and cartoonist Carl Barks, and found that my admiration for him grew when I came across the following interview with him. He speaks about his view on philosophy and capitalism (views which no doubt influenced his perhaps most popular character "Scrooge McDuck"):

I've always looked at the ducks as caricatured human beings. In rereading the stories, I realized that I had gotten kind of deep in some of them: there was philosophy in there that I hadn't realized I was putting in. It was an added feature that went along with the stories. I think a lot of the philosophy in my stories is conservative—conservative in the sense that I feel our civilization peaked around 1910. Since then we've been going downhill. Much of the older culture had basic qualities that the new stuff we keep hatching can never match.

Look at the magnificent cathedrals and palaces that were built. Nobody can build that sort of thing nowadays. Also, I believe that we should preserve many old ideals and methods of working: honor, honesty, allowing other people to believe in their own ideas, not trying to force everyone into one form. The thing I have against the present political system is that it tries to make everybody exactly alike. We should have a million different patterns.

They say that wealthy people like the Vanderbilts and Rockefellers are sinful because they accumulated fortunes by exploiting the poor. I feel that everybody should be able to rise as high as they can or want to, provided they don't kill anybody or actually oppress other people on the way up. A little exploitation is something you come by in nature. We see it in the pecking order of animals—everybody has to be exploited or to exploit someone else to a certain extent. I don't resent those things.
    "If you bound the arms and legs of gold-medal swimmer Michael Phelps, weighed him down with chains, threw him in a pool and he sank, you wouldn't call it a 'failure of swimming'. So, when markets have been weighted down by inept and excessive regulation, why call this a 'failure of capitalism'?"

I also discovered this video -- it's the first presidential address, by President Coolidge (filmed in 1924).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5puwTrLRhmw
    This is a quote from the video:

"I want the people of America to be able to work less for the government, and more for themselves. I want them to have the rewards of their own industry. This is the chief meaning of freedom. Until we can re-establish a condition under which the earnings of the people can be kept by the people, we are bound to suffer a very severe and distinct curtailment of our liberty."
    This quote is also attributed to President Coolidge:
    "The man who builds a factory builds a temple, the man who works there worships there, and to each is due, not scorn and blame, but reverence and praise."
    It's like taken out of Atlas Shrugged. Imagine having a President who speaks like that again.
    Last edited by EricMartin; 03-12-2009 at 10:52 AM.

I feel that everybody should be able to rise as high as they can or want to, provided they don't kill anybody or actually oppress other people on the way up. A little exploitation is something you come by in nature. We see it in the pecking order of animals—everybody has to be exploited or to exploit someone else to a certain extent. I don't resent those things.
    Exactly. This imaginary horror of potential inequality or insecurity is going to kill us. As a Christian, I have no envy of the rich (nor any special respect) and I admire the good steward and the good servant. If the steward and the land owner vanish, who will pay the servant?

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I do think we need to start teaching civics again, especially since we have such a large immigrant population now; they're not going to pick it up by osmosis.
    I hope the dorky clothes and haircuts are never coming back, though.
    I did. It got me in trouble. :mad:
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.