1. #1 NAACP: Banks steered blacks to bad loans 
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29678907

NAACP: Banks steered blacks to bad loans
    Class-action lawsuits target subprime lenders Wells Fargo, HSBC
    The Associated Press
    updated 12:20 p.m. CT, Fri., March. 13, 2009

The NAACP is accusing Wells Fargo and HSBC of forcing blacks into subprime mortgages while whites with identical qualifications got lower rates.

An NAACP member, Amara Weaver of Milwaukee, said she was one of the victims of predatory lending. She bought her first home in 1984, receiving a 6.25 percent fixed-rate mortgage. She says she had a steady job as a human resources director for a social services agency, never missed a mortgage payment and maintained excellent credit.

In 2004, she wanted to buy the house next door for her son to live in. She said the bank promised her a low fixed rate for a $40,000 loan, but at the closing, when reading the fine print, she noticed that the rate was actually 11 percent.

"I was blown away," said Weaver, an NAACP member. "I didn't have any choice (but to sign). ... It made me feel violated."

Are you f'ing kidding me? No one forced you to sign the paperwork...and the deal isn't done until you sign the contract. This has nothing to do with you being black, white, red, purple, green, or some shade of magenta...it has to deal with you letting yourself get into a bad loan. No sympathy.

Give me a break! "I had to sign" is about as lame an excuse as someone could come up with. Unfortunately they'll find a jury to agree with her and she'll win.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Some people are so stupid. I can imagine the only thing she wanted out of the closing was the keys.

Banned
    Ya know I must be damn lucky cause I have walked out on a bank loan and numerous car deals; no one tried to force me to sign on the dotted line, and I escaped without getting any broken legs or arms.

11% is a good interest for someone that is buying a second home without a downpayment. Had it not been for the loose lending pratices, this stupid bitch would not have been able to buy the house for her son. Your debt to income ratio determines whether you get a loan and/or a low or high rate. During the Carter years, the rates were at 18%.