Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Lunch with a view 

My view for lunch yesterday (well, similar to my view. I keep forgetting to bring a camera. Next time, I promise, since the views are getting better).

Took an 11 mile hike yesterday up to Pulpit Rock and the Pinnacle. It was a great hike. Lots of rocks on the first half, but it was mostly uphill and not too bad. The second half was fairly flat with one descent.

I had my first almost serious fall, though. Somehow one of the toe biters got ahold of my right boot, and the weight of my pack got my momentum going so much I couldn't stop the downward and forward motion with my face pointed squarely at the rocks. Luckily my hiking partner heard me flayling about (I'm still not certain if he heard the clumsiness of my feet flying across the rocks, or my cursing), but either way he stopped dead in front of me, and turned just in time for me to do a head butt tackle into his leg, while he managed to grab me to keep me from completely the face forward dive into the rocks. I have learned that full on tackles with your helmetless head into someone rock solid thigh is not a good idea...but still a better idea than the alternative.

And I learned that it's not just American men who refuse to ask for directions...it's Japanese men as well. A party of 2 Japanese couples who were in our vicinity after the climb to the Pinnacle kept stopping. We thought they just weren't pacing themselves well and needed frequent rests. Turns out they were lost and didn't know how to get back to their car. One man was insistent upon remaining glued to is GPS. The women stopped us and told us they were lost, so we were able to find a side trail on the map that would take them back...otherwise they had walked the wrong direction after descending the Pinnacle and would have to retrace about 6 miles. I think the women were pretty glad for the old fashioned map we hap. GPS guy is still trying to plug in coordinates.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Glad you didn't get hurt Philly, smacking the rocks would really
    ruin your day in a hurry. :)
    May the FORCE be with you!

I prefer an old fashioned map. Good thing the women in that group asked. Can you imagine how grouchy they'd be with the guys if they went 6 miles out of their way? :D

Glad you weren't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Glad you didn't get hurt Philly, smacking the rocks would really
    ruin your day in a hurry. :)
    Yeah, it was my worst "almost fall" so far. Had I hit the ground no doubt there'd be some serious blood involved. But, those are the risks. I always sort of think about them, since I have a tendency to get my boots stuck in the crevices of the rocks and still can't figure out how I've manage not to twist or break an ankle so far. My partner would not be happy if he had to carry me several miles down the mountain! :D

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    I prefer an old fashioned map. Good thing the women in that group asked. Can you imagine how grouchy they'd be with the guys if they went 6 miles out of their way? :D

Glad you weren't hurt.
    Yeah, it was pretty funny. My friend laughed out loud when I mentioned that they proved the adage that men won't ask for directions. But I think it's a learned thing. We ran across two young teenaged boys coming off a side trail. One of them pointedly remarked, after saying hello, "we're lost". They weren't really. They just didn't know what they were doing. Someone must have told them that the yellow trail would take them to the Pinnacle, but didn't bother to tell them when the yellow trail ended, they had to turn onto the AT (white blazes). They caught up to us while we were having lunch on the Pinnacle, and they weren't even certain they were at the Pinnacle. But what do teen boys know, anyway...they're probably still wondering what the big deal is about a bunch of rocks!

The magic box speaks and tells the path!

We MUST obey the magic box.

Garmin, Lord Of Directive Magic has spoken!

:D

Mine tried to kill me in Washington by taking me over a mountain pass on a one lane dirt road that had 3 feeet of snow piled up on it just behind a blind curve.

I discovered you can 3 point an Escape in a very little portion of road when you are motivated by a sheer drop on one edge of the road and a 10 foot drop into a river on the other.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    The magic box speaks and tells the path!

We MUST obey the magic box.

Garmin, Lord Of Directive Magic has spoken!

:D

Mine tried to kill me in Washington by taking me over a mountain pass on a one lane dirt road that had 3 feeet of snow piled up on it just behind a blind curve.

I discovered you can 3 point an Escape in a very little portion of road when you are motivated by a sheer drop on one edge of the road and a 10 foot drop into a river on the other.
    Uggh! I've had enough trouble with mine that I would be wary using it in real back country!

But I am absolutely amazed at people that venture out onto the Trail and seem to have no idea that there are maps for such things. But this weekend I saw the most people I've ever seen on the trail. We passed by at least 25 or 30 other hikers. Very popular section of the AT, I suppose. But there were a lot of earl exit options, so people could get to the Pinnacle or Pulpit Rock in under an hour. Of course, we don't ever do that. Nope...gotta take the 4 1/2 hour hike!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Uggh! I've had enough trouble with mine that I would be wary using it in real back country!

But I am absolutely amazed at people that venture out onto the Trail and seem to have no idea that there are maps for such things. But this weekend I saw the most people I've ever seen on the trail. We passed by at least 25 or 30 other hikers. Very popular section of the AT, I suppose. But there were a lot of earl exit options, so people could get to the Pinnacle or Pulpit Rock in under an hour. Of course, we don't ever do that. Nope...gotta take the 4 1/2 hour hike!! :D

When I go out I take a Garmin Etrex, maps, and a compass and I take the time to plan my tromp and orient along the way.

Because I know the world hates me and wants me dead. :D

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    When I go out I take a Garmin Etrex, maps, and a compass and I take the time to plan my tromp and orient along the way.

Because I know the world hates me and wants me dead. :D
    Heh!! I hike with a partner. He brings the maps (well, I bought them, but he knows how to read them!). I'm guessing he has a compass somewhere. I rely on him for the emergency stuff. I bring the food and get saddled with the extra water, usually. But we do always plan ahead on the orienting. However, with the AT it's pretty hard to really get lost. Not impossible. Yesterday we ended up off the trail. Of course we didn't realize that until we already worked our way through a massive boulder field. "Son of a bitch...we did that for nothing!". :D

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I am famous for being on the trail and saying something like Okay, we're here, if we go that way we'll hit whatever trail, road, stream, etc. and...yada yada and off we go.

We've always made it back but often much the worse for wear. I tried to get us from a forestry road near Standing Indian Mountain NC up the side of a mountain to the Appalachian Trail. It was up there okay, but the grade of the mountain gradually got steeper and steeper and the mountan laurel got thicker and thicker and it was just not possible to keep going up.

When those little crooked lines on the topo map are really close together, than evidently means something.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!