Thread: French Physicist Wins Templeton Religion Prize

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1 French Physicist Wins Templeton Religion Prize 
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,172
    Interesting story on science and religion and how some see the two as complimentary to each other. Somebody else to confrustrate Richard Dawkins.

    French Physicist Wins Templeton Religion Prize
    By Ethan Cole
    Christian Post Reporter
    Mon, Mar. 16 2009 10:33 AM EDT

    A French physicist and philosopher of science is the winner of the 2009 Templeton Prize for religion, the largest annual religion prize given to an individual, the foundation announced on Monday.

    Bernard d’Espagnat, 87, will receive the $1.42 million prize for his work in quantum physics that shows the limits of knowable science and affirms a reality that can be explained through spirituality and art, according to Reuters.

    D’Espagnat said in prepared remarks that he is “convinced that those among our contemporaries who believe in a spiritual dimension of existence and live up to it are, when all is said, fully right,” according to The Associated Press.

    The John Templeton Foundation announced the prize at a news conference held at the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) headquarters in Paris.

    “[D’Espagnat has] explored the unlimited, the openings that new scientific discoveries offer in pure knowledge and in questions that go to the very heart of our existence and humanity,” said John Templeton, Jr., president of the foundation, at the ceremony.
    Read it all here

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Interesting story on science and religion and how some see the two as complimentary to each other. Somebody else to confrustrate Richard Dawkins.

    Read it all here
    I don't get the sense that Bernard d'Espagnat is a religious guy in the way that you are. I mean, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't believe in the talking snake and all that stuff.

    Religion and science can coexist but they don't necessarily compliment each other.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,172
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I don't get the sense that Bernard d'Espagnat is a religious guy in the way that you are. I mean, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't believe in the talking snake and all that stuff.

    Religion and science can coexist but they don't necessarily compliment each other.
    And that is the error in atheistic/religious thinking that creates the antagonism between the two. Both provide different ways of viewing reality that can benefit each other. When one closes the door on the other then each deny themselves the complete view of creation that God wants us to understand.

    I understand Bernard d'Espagnat's view point better than you might realize and he aligns somewhere between theist and deist.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I don't get the sense that Bernard d'Espagnat is a religious guy in the way that you are. I mean, I'm pretty sure that he doesn't believe in the talking snake and all that stuff.

    Religion and science can coexist but they don't necessarily compliment each other.
    why not? most of the greatest scientific break throughs were made by religious men.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I understand Bernard d'Espagnat's view point better than you might realize and he aligns somewhere between theist and deist.
    I would say that Bernard d'Espagnat is somewhere between pantheist and deist. In any case, I don't think that Bernard d'Espagnat and Richard Dawkins are as far apart as your first post suggested. Both d'Espagnat and Dawkins seem to agree that what we see of the world is not the real world but a sort of model of it. And, both d'Espagnat and Dawkins seem to agree that we're not the stuff of which we're made...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1APOxsp1VFw

    The idea that we're not the stuff of which we're made is downright spiritual, isn't it?
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 03-16-2009 at 11:05 PM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    why not? most of the greatest scientific break throughs were made by religious men.
    I have always been of the opinion that, assuming we don't kill ourselves into extinction, that someday science will advance far enough to pull back the curtain and to their great surprise, meet God face to face.
    It is only upon careful observation, with a magnifying glass, on a sunny day, that one comes to realize how often ants burst into flames.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    I have always been of the opinion that, assuming we don't kill ourselves into extinction, that someday science will advance far enough to pull back the curtain and to their great surprise, meet God face to face.
    I don't need Science for that. That happened a while ago for me. We had a nice talk He and I. :)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,172
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I would say that Bernard d'Espagnat is somewhere between pantheist and deist. In any case, I don't think that Bernard d'Espagnat and Richard Dawkins are as far apart as your first post suggested. Both d'Espagnat and Dawkins seem to agree that what we see of the world is not the real world but a sort of model of it. And, both d'Espagnat and Dawkins seem to agree that we're not the stuff of which we're made...


    The idea that we're not the stuff of which we're made is downright spiritual, isn't it?
    The difference is that d'Espagnat sees design in nature, hence his acceptence of a designer and a purpose to existence. Dawkins, however, believes that all things are random, accidental and meaningless. Those two points are diametrically opposed to each other. d'Espagnat feels that the quantum world hides the true nature of reality from human understanding because quantum reality is not a sense reality. God is not a sense reality either so the approach to investigating and discovering the truth of either lies beyond the ability of science attain. God is not a physical object in the universe like a star or galaxy so he can not be grasped by science. Those who view science as the end all and be all of discovery can never codify the Creator. He is not a piece of funiture in the universe to be located and identified. That is the error of atheistic thinking. Their thinking processes are too limited and small when compared to what they are trying to understand.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by palerider View Post
    I have always been of the opinion that, assuming we don't kill ourselves into extinction, that someday science will advance far enough to pull back the curtain and to their great surprise, meet God face to face.
    If a god exists and is omnipotent then when we see it is entirely up to the god.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Dawkins, however, believes that all things are random, accidental and meaningless.
    Natural selection is not random.

    Those who view science as the end all and be all of discovery can never codify the Creator.
    Did you watch the video? The main point of the Richard Dawkins lecture is the idea that the Universe is not just queerer than we suppose but queerer than we can suppose. In other words, Dawkins is saying that there may be aspects of the Universe which humans will never be able to grasp no matter how far science advances.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 03-17-2009 at 10:08 AM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •