Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkHalo View Post
    How many times did I ban you over at NU nite owl?
    Zero times. Do I get a prize?
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Despite the ignorance being exibited by some on this thread, I'd like to hear the details of this project and how some of the largest machines on Earth are use to find some of the smallest things in the cosmos.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Despite the ignorance being exibited by some on this thread, I'd like to hear the details of this project and how some of the largest machines on Earth are use to find some of the smallest things in the cosmos.
    If you search for "Large Hadron Collider" at YouTube, you can find a lot of great videos about it.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    If you search for "Large Hadron Collider" at YouTube, you can find a lot of great videos about it.
    Thanks. I will do just that.:)
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by Eyelids View Post
    I'm pretty excited about this experiment.
    You should be excited about the LHC. Everyone should be excited about it. It isn't an exaggeration to say that the experiments to be conducted using the LHC are the most important experiments mankind has ever conducted.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

You should be excited about the LHC. Everyone should be excited about it. It isn't an exaggeration to say that the experiments to be conducted using the LHC are the most important experiments mankind has ever conducted.
    If it's like the other projects - it may tell us how 'stuff' is held together and maybe a new source of energy?

Thanks. I will do just that.:)
    Just ignore the guy saying that the LHC is designed to punch a hole in the Van Allen Belt so that Satan and his minions can descend from Niburu to defeat mankind and do battle with God at Armageddon.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Just ignore the guy saying that the LHC is designed to punch a hole in the Van Allen Belt so that Satan and his minions can descend from Niburu to defeat mankind and do battle with God at Armageddon.
    Okay. Now that's funny stuff right there - like when trains first crossed the 17 m.p.h. barrier, which some folks said would suck the air right out of the lungs of a human being.

:p

If it's like the other projects - it may tell us how 'stuff' is held together and maybe a new source of energy?
    I'm not sure what practical applications knowledge gained from LHC tests will have, but they may provide answers to some of the biggest questions which have been eluding science. If all goes well this summer, scientists will start using the LHC to...

1. ...confirm the existence of the most fundamental particles making up our Universe.

2. ...gain evidence for the theory of why objects have mass.

3. ...simulate what happened less than one billionth of a second after the Big Bang... closer than scientists have ever come.

4. ...collect the data necessary to formulate a unified theory of the Universe.

The Wiki entry on the LHC is a good place to start learning about the various tests to be run at Cern.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 05-31-2008 at 11:36 AM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

A Christian perspective on the LHC...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...LI1-CxDA&hl=en
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas