1. #1 Madrid government plans corpse relief for hungry vultures 
    Spanish vultures have been left starving by a severe drought of animal carcasses across the country - and the regional government in Madrid plans to do something about it.

EU laws aimed at halting the spread of mad cow disease require the countryside to be kept clear of dead livestock, even if they died of natural causes.

But Juan Carlos Atienza of the Spanish Ornithological Organization says the lack of animal corpses since the law was introduced in Spain in 2002 has hit certain vultures very hard

Esperanza Aguirre, president of Madrid's regional government, said Monday the capital aims to ease the vultures' hunger by allowing some dead animals to remain. ...
    Wildlife bailout?

Well they have to feed their politicians some how . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

According to my dad, this is never a problem in India, since cows are sacred and all. Once the cows die from getting hit by cars, or just from wandering around New Dehli, they take the carcasses out and leave them for the vultures.

My dad called in to the radio station we all listened to as kids to straighten them out once about a story about sacred cows in India. It was back when he drank, and we were teens. The DJ put him on the air, where he told everyone all about the vultures eating the cow carcasses and then told them who he was. My brother and I were teased at school for days afterwards.

Luckily, my dad was a funny drunk and not a mean one.