View Poll Results: Is being controlling psychotic?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 42.86%
  • No

4 57.14%

Thread: Control

1. #1 Control 
    If one considers controlling another a success, then may we consider that one as suffering from a psychosis?

What? Are you equating the concept of 'success" with the diagnosis of "psychotic"? I think you need to really clarify your question and your point here.

Exercising control over one's own life, and control over material resources, is admirable. Controlling one's own children to some extent is a necessity. Controlling other people though? Here's some good quotes on that.

"The creator's concern is the conquest of nature. The parasite's concern is the conquest of men."
    - Ayn Rand
    I have never been able to conceive how any rational being could propose happiness to himself from the exercise of power over others.
    - Thomas Jefferson
    The need to control other people is probably a result of having poor self-esteem -- it's a sort of second-handedness, to feel an urge to measure yourself against others and force them to act against their will. A person of good mental health is independent and self-reliant.
    Last edited by EricMartin; 03-17-2009 at 02:57 PM.
    "If you bound the arms and legs of gold-medal swimmer Michael Phelps, weighed him down with chains, threw him in a pool and he sank, you wouldn't call it a 'failure of swimming'. So, when markets have been weighted down by inept and excessive regulation, why call this a 'failure of capitalism'?"

I say no. Control in itself is not a problem at all - obsession with control is.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    What? Are you equating the concept of 'success" with the diagnosis of "psychotic"? I think you need to really clarify your question and your point here.
    LOL naw

Quote Originally Posted by johns777 View Post
    LOL naw
    Then there's no way to answer to your proposition. Generals control armies, employers control employees, teachers control students, coaches control players and teams, and so on. Some kinds of control are useful and some aren't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Then there's no way to answer to your proposition. Generals control armies, employers control employees, teachers control students, coaches control players and teams, and so on. Some kinds of control are useful and some aren't.
    But that would alter the needed outcome of his little experiment.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by johns777 View Post
    If one considers controlling another a success, then may we consider that one as suffering from a psychosis?

Good enough reason to dump every single Democrat and most of the Republicans.

Obama's stimulus is ALL about controlling the private sector.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

I'm not answering this poll and you can't make me.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I'm not answering this poll and you can't make me.
    oh yes I can!! I'm telling Shannon that you won't answer the poll! SHANNON!!! Just you wait!!:p
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.