Thread: Kids Overhearing Christian Music Earns Counselor Suspension

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Kids Overhearing Christian Music Earns Counselor Suspension 
    Foster Kids Overhearing Christian Music Earns Counselor Six-Week Suspension

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

City: Orange County, CA
    February 18, 2009

A lawsuit has been filed against Orange County by a veteran group home counselor who was suspended six weeks for exposing four teenagers to Christian music. The counselor is represented by affiliate and staff attorneys of Pacific Justice Institute.

The lawsuit states that, in the summer of 2006, the counselor took four teenage girls from the Orangewood Children's Home on an approved field trip to a 5K run and then to the beach. At the beach, the group encountered a "Surf Jam" taking place at the Huntington Beach pier. The group also overheard Christian music for about ten minutes while they were eating.

Following the beach outing, the counselor, an eighteen-year employee, was summoned to a disciplinary meeting focusing on the Christian music. Several months later, the same incident was brought up again and the counselor was slapped with a six-week suspension for "exposing children to unapproved religious activities."
    Insanity reigns. :mad:

http://www.pacificjustice.org/resour...m?ID=PR090218a

http://www.thevoicemagazine.com/blog...ek-suspension/

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/l...ian-orangewood
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

I imagine that taking them to a bath house in San Francisco would have earned him a promotion.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Even as a very secular person, I'm baffled by the persecution of Christianity in the U.S. :mad:
    "If you bound the arms and legs of gold-medal swimmer Michael Phelps, weighed him down with chains, threw him in a pool and he sank, you wouldn't call it a 'failure of swimming'. So, when markets have been weighted down by inept and excessive regulation, why call this a 'failure of capitalism'?"

Christianity is evil and islam is the religion of peace. Any questions?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Eliminate religion and morality becomes unnecessary. There would be no right, no wrong. What, you didn't like Lennon?
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    Eliminate religion and morality becomes unnecessary
    I strongly disagree with that. Philosophy would remain -- such as the philosophy of Objectivism. As long as man has to make choices, there is no escape from moral values. Morality can never become unnecessary.
    "If you bound the arms and legs of gold-medal swimmer Michael Phelps, weighed him down with chains, threw him in a pool and he sank, you wouldn't call it a 'failure of swimming'. So, when markets have been weighted down by inept and excessive regulation, why call this a 'failure of capitalism'?"

That is disgusting. How can they do that to the counselor?

Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by EricMartin View Post
    I strongly disagree with that. Philosophy would remain -- such as the philosophy of Objectivism. As long as man has to make choices, there is no escape from moral values. Morality can never become unnecessary.
    I would suggest looking at history of societies that have rejected religion and then draw conclusions on the moral behavior of those societies. Let's make it easy and start at the 20th century.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I would suggest looking at history of societies that have rejected religion and then draw conclusions on the moral behavior of those societies. Let's make it easy and start at the 20th century.
    Christians say that God is the standard of value, while Communists say that the Collective is the standard of value. Of course Communists are every bit as mystical as the Christians, as there is no such thing as "The Collective" -- there's only a number of Individuals. Objectivists recognize the Individual as the standard of value. The period in history which has been most consonant with Objectivism, or rather secular individualism, is the Age of Enlightenment. During this age, most of the intellectual freethinkers -- including some of the Founding Fathers such as Thomas Jefferson and Thomas Paine -- were Deists, not Christians. Deism was the closest to Atheism at that time, as this was before Darwin's Theory of Evolution (which is every bit as solid as the Theory of Gravity).

Most of my closest friends are Objectivists, or Atheist Libertarians, and they're honestly the most moral people that I know. As for myself, I study philosophy consistently and am deeply conscious about acting morally. I don't act morally because I want to please some other being, but because it's in my own self-interest to do so; if I act immorally it isn't St. Peter who would take note of it, but rather my own subconscious, and my subconscious is uncompromising -- immoral behavior would lead to a lack of self-esteem/self-worth and injure my pride.

I believe the U.S. will be going through a moral revolution in the not too distant future -- based not on faith, but on reason and individualism. Objectivism is being taught at numerous colleges now, more and more high-profile individuals identify themselves as Objectivists, the staff from the Ayn Rand Institute are being invited to speak at numerous Republican conventions and television programs, the Wall Street Journal consistently publishes Objectivist material, the sales of Atlas Shrugged and various Objectivist literature has more than tripled since last year, everyone who's been following politics have learned the meaning of "Going Galt", there's been a surge of donations to the Ayn Rand Institute, and a new branch of ARI has opened in Washington. All of this will influence the culture greatly in the coming years -- especially as more people are realizing that Atlas Shrugged is coming true.

In any case, I hope you found this informative. :)

EDIT: Here's an interesting new article which illustrates one of my points.
    Last edited by EricMartin; 03-17-2009 at 10:10 PM.