Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Okay, what is your specific question?
    See post #7.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Now to turn the tables... how do you justify the slaughter of the Amalekite children?
    Why does she have to justify it all?

It would be better if you restate your question for clarity.

Now to turn the tables... how do you justify the slaughter of the Amalekite children?
    tell me - what were the circumstances of said slaughter? Do you know?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

For the record, I'm against the abortion of embryos older than 3 weeks. I don't consider an embryo younger than 3 weeks old to be a child because it lacks a brain and a nervous system and has no consciousness whatsoever.

In your view, if the child is young enough, it's OK for the mother to end that life. Now, we are talking about an ordinary, mortal, human mother...she knows absolutely nothing about her child. She doesn't even know if her child is male or female, let alone the personality, potential and possible future of that child. Heck, she doesn't even know HER future. Yet, under your definition of "moral behavior," she can kill that child because the brain is not yet developed.

Now, on the other hand, you have God, the Creator. The only Being in the universe that knows every single human from before conception. He knows every thought, every emotion, every action of every single human ever conceived. He knows all the past and all the future of every individual human. He knows which will choose Heaven, and which will not...what moment in time each human is conceived, and what moment and way each human dies...and He has known since before He created Time.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    tell me - what were the circumstances of said slaughter? Do you know?
    The slaughter of the Amalekites was retribution for their attacks on God's people during the period of Exodus.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    In your view, if the child is young enough, it's OK for the mother to end that life. Now, we are talking about an ordinary, mortal, human mother...she knows absolutely nothing about her child. She doesn't even know if her child is male or female, let alone the personality, potential and possible future of that child. Heck, she doesn't even know HER future. Yet, under your definition of "moral behavior," she can kill that child because the brain is not yet developed.
    Substitute the word "child" with the word "embryo" and you will have a fair summary of my position.

Now, on the other hand, you have God, the Creator. The only Being in the universe that knows every single human from before conception. He knows every thought, every emotion, every action of every single human ever conceived. He knows all the past and all the future of every individual human. He knows which will choose Heaven, and which will not...what moment in time each human is conceived, and what moment and way each human dies...and He has known since before He created Time.
    I asked you to give me a justification for the slaughter of the Amalekite children, not for a description of the god of the Bible.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Substitute the word "child" with the word "embryo" and you will have a fair summary of my position.

I asked you to give me a justification for the slaughter of the Amalekite children, not for a description of the god of the Bible.
    Do you know WHERE those children are today?

Does the human who destroys embryos know where those children are today?

Are those humans able to see the future and the past, and determine exactly when each life should begin and end?

There is One Who has always known the perfect time for each of us to die...even the Amalekites.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

The slaughter of the Amalekites was retribution for their attacks on God's people during the period of Exodus.
    Kind of. The Chosen people got attacked by a lot of people but only the Amaleks were singled out for a terminal beat down by God. Most biblical scholars of the Hebrew persuasion believe that more than simple dislike was at work here. They believe that the Amaleks were a truly godless people who opportunistically preyed on the weak and unarmed. They didn't fight for land or spoils, they killed for the joy of it and they rejected any negotiations or peace treaties.

This made the Amaleks the Nazi storm troopers of that age. All Jews were enjoined to destroy the Amaleks wherever they were found. Saul got a specialized directive in that regard. Saul disobeyed God, however, when he spared the king and a bunch of livestock. (Yes, God wanted the chickens killed too, along with the women and children.)

God thereafter dropped Saul like a hot potato and the hated Amaleks eventually vanished.

So, are you concerned about the obliteration? That it involved 'innocents"? That Saul didn't get rewarded for taking a more touchy-feely route? Or what?

<snip>

Among other things, the Amaleks sinned by violating the First and Second Commandments
    Do not have any other gods before me.

You shall not make for yourself an idol, whether in the form of anything that is in heaven above, or that is on the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.

You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, punishing children for the iniquity of parents, to the third and the fourth generation of those who reject me,

but showing steadfast love to the thousandth generation of those who love me and keep my commandments.
    They were idolaters who the Lord knew would eventually infect the Hebrews with their idolatry. Now before you get in to God calling for the slaughter of the Amalek idolaters and not other idolaters remember the words of God, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy." If justice was to be done then all idolaters would die, but the Lord shows mercy to some and justice to others.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 03-20-2009 at 09:36 PM.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Among other things, the Amaleks sinned by violating the First and Second Commandments

They were idolaters who the Lord knew would eventually infect the Hebrews with their idolatry. Now before you get in to God calling for the slaughter of the Amalek idolaters and not other idolaters remember the words of God, "I will have mercy on whom I have mercy." If justice was to be done then all idolaters would die, but the Lord shows mercy to some and justice to others.
    Did the children of the Amalekites deserve to be slaughtered for idolatry practiced by their parents. Of course not.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas