Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 65
  1. #21  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    So, are you concerned about the obliteration? That it involved 'innocents"? That Saul didn't get rewarded for taking a more touchy-feely route? Or what?
    Why do you put the word innocents between quotation marks? Are you suggesting that the children of the Amalekites were culpable for what their parents did?
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #22  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSmith View Post
    There is One Who has always known the perfect time for each of us to die...even the Amalekites.
    If the Bible is to be believed, then the Amalekites didn't just drop dead. They were slaughtered. What I would like to know is how you justify the slaughter of the innocent among the Amalekites. If you can't then say so.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 03-21-2009 at 05:27 PM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #23  
    Senior Member MrsSmith's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Kansas
    Posts
    2,393
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    If the Bible is to be believed, then the Amalekites didn't just drop dead. They were slaughtered. What I would like to know is how you justify the slaughter of the innocent among the Amalekites. If you can't then say so.
    Excuse me, but aren't you the guy that feels a woman or doctor is justified in slaughtering innocents...so long as they catch them young enough...despite the total and complete ignorance of who they slaughter...or maybe BECAUSE of the total and complete ignorance? Exactly how does this compare to ending of life by the One Who has complete knowledge?
    -
    -
    -

    In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

    Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #24  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Florida. The Cuban Part.
    Posts
    3,007
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Did the children of the Amalekites deserve to be slaughtered for idolatry practiced by their parents. Of course not.
    The Bible holds precedent of orphaned/abandoned children holding to the ways of their parents, even to a foreign land(Joseph and Daniel are notable examples), and in that time, identity as a people was sustained to the next generation, and children were taught early the ways of the tribal group they were part of. At that time in history, If you truly meant business in exterminating a people, you had to destroy them all. No exceptions. Men were of fighting age by 16, women were marriageable by 14. Childhood was a short term proposition.

    I'm sure if the shoe were on the other foot, the Amalekites would have slaughtered each Israelite child as well.

    ~QC
    Last edited by CueSi; 03-21-2009 at 09:43 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #25  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,433
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Did the children of the Amalekites deserve to be slaughtered for idolatry practiced by their parents. Of course not.
    They were idolators as well so in that respect they brought their destruction on themselves. Also I believe that God is using hyperbole to get his point across. Anyways, why are you so concerned with a God you don't believe exists killing a bunch of characters in a book you consider fiction?

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Why do you put the word innocents between quotation marks? Are you suggesting that the children of the Amalekites were culpable for what their parents did?
    Sure they were. Do you not understand the terms of the OT in general or the terms of the Covenant established between the Jews and God specifically? The Amaleks were so despicable that not even their livestock and household goods were spared destruction.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #27  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    They were idolators as well so in that respect they brought their destruction on themselves. Also I believe that God is using hyperbole to get his point across. Anyways, why are you so concerned with a God you don't believe exists killing a bunch of characters in a book you consider fiction?
    The origin of this discussion is the claim that the Bible is the absolute standard for morality. The story of the Amalekites undermines that claim in a big way.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #28  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Sure they were. Do you not understand the terms of the OT in general or the terms of the Covenant established between the Jews and God specifically? The Amaleks were so despicable that not even their livestock and household goods were spared destruction.
    You're right. I don't understand "the terms" of the OT. The OT looks like barbarism to me. If you can explain why infants and children should be held responsible for the sins of their parents then perhaps I will understand the terms.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 03-23-2009 at 12:41 PM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #29  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by CueSi View Post
    The Bible holds precedent of orphaned/abandoned children holding to the ways of their parents, even to a foreign land(Joseph and Daniel are notable examples), and in that time, identity as a people was sustained to the next generation, and children were taught early the ways of the tribal group they were part of. At that time in history, If you truly meant business in exterminating a people, you had to destroy them all. No exceptions. Men were of fighting age by 16, women were marriageable by 14. Childhood was a short term proposition.

    ~QC
    According to the Bible, Amalekite infants and children of all ages were slaughtered. Why couldn't the supposedly almighty God figure out a way for the young ones to be spared?
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #30  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,433
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    The origin of this discussion is the claim that the Bible is the absolute standard for morality. The story of the Amalekites undermines that claim in a big way.
    Actually it reinforces morality in a big way. The problem is you are use to the modern day loose application of the morals society uses. The wages of Sin is death, yet Gods gives one the opportunity to repent from one's sin and be forgiven. The fact that he gives time for repentence to some by showing mercy upon them in no way discounts the morality that He teaches us. The Amalekites were unrepentant sinners and they received the wages that they earned. How does this undermine the Bibles being the standard of morality. You keep saying that but your examples are easily explained away.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 03-23-2009 at 02:29 PM.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •