Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Merged thread: Leftists are hypocrites? Say it isn't so!! 
    Talking about Obama's reference/put down about the special olympics:

link

Pale Blue Dot (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-19-09 10:34 PM
    Original message
    If Bush had made the same comment, there would be ZERO threads defending him.
    And about 500 attacking him, rightly so.

It's the hypocrisy, stupid.
    NYC Liberal (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-19-09 10:40 PM
    Response to Original message
    4. Bush and Obama are two different people. DUH! It ain't hypocrisy.
    Obama will do more for the Special Olympics than Bush ever did. That's why if Bush said it, he'd be attacked.
    jenmito (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-19-09 10:41 PM
    6. That's because Bush supports the death penalty for the mentally disabled!
    Edited on Thu Mar-19-09 10:42 PM by jenmito
    Obama made a stupid joke.
    my2sense (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-19-09 10:46 PM
    Response to Reply #6
    9. Excellent point!
    It was just a dumb thing to say as President.....but he's human and he was actually making fun of himself. I'd like to know how many folk that will be feigning outrage have voted to deny funding and programs for the disabled.
    Pale Blue Dot (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-19-09 10:47 PM
    Response to Reply #6
    10. So the joke is appropriate, and worth defending,
    as long as the joker doesn't support the death penalty for the group he's offending? I'll be sure to apply that standard in the future.
    jenmito (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-19-09 10:49 PM
    Response to Reply #10
    12. No. That's why it can't be compared to BUSH having said it. It was just a dumb comment.
    He's obviously not "anti-mentally disabled" like Bush.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=132x8274565

MannyGoldstein (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-19-09 10:28 PM
    Original message
    I'll Bet That President Obama Shows Up At The Next Special Olympics
    Edited on Thu Mar-19-09 10:29 PM by MannyGoldstein
    Who wants to bet against me?

All of us do dumb stuff. The thing that distinguishes the best people is that they own up to their mistakes and get to work to fix any damage.
    You mean Obama in CYA mode.
    FLyellowdog (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-19-09 10:30 PM
    2. I agree. He'll make this right.
    AllentownJake (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-19-09 10:32 PM
    Response to Reply #2
    7. There is nothing to make fucking right
    FLyellowdog (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-19-09 10:51 PM
    Response to Reply #7
    13. Some will think that there is...so that is their perception...
    ...and that perception is their reality...and their reality can lead to someone being hurt. Therefore, the President will want to make it right in order to correct their perception. He'll do it whether he needs to or not, because he cares about people and doesn't want to hurt anyone no matter how inadvertently. It's no big deal to me, but it might be to someone else. Our guy is a nice guy...so watch. He'll make it right.
    AllentownJake (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-19-09 10:56 PM
    Response to Reply #13
    14. He already made it right in the budget
    So he can insult anyone as long as he gives them money from the budget? Jerk
    NYC Liberal (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-19-09 10:42 PM
    Response to Reply #2
    11. You assume he would only do it for that. I say he would have done it regardless.
    Bush is the one who would show up for the photo-op
    Right, Obama is going to "fix" it by sucking up to some in the Special Olympics-participants and personel who can't say "no" even if they want to.
    Clio the Leo (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-19-09 10:45 PM
    12. I'll bet you double or nothing he hugs every Olympian in the joint!
    One thing about the guy, if he screws up, he makes up for it post haste.

There'll probably have been a party for Special Olympians at the White House by this time next week.

Add to that the fact that THIS guy loves Obama now...

... and he's married to this lovely lady...

who also adores the President and SHE is the daughter of THIS wonderful woman....

who ... YEP! you guessed it! Founded the Special Olympics!

This will be fixed, not to worry.
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=132x8274501
    customerserviceguy (1000+ posts) Thu Mar-19-09 10:59 PM
    Response to Reply #8
    9. Not cowering
    but when a man makes very, very few gaffes, I expect the sharks to go into a feeding frenzy when they smell a bit of blood in the water.

We'll all get over it by Monday, no matter what the wingnuts say in the next day or three.
    "few gaffes? someone's drinking the kool aid

Oh, he'll make it right for sure, after he stabs the TelePrompTer guy in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefeater View Post
    Oh, he'll make it right for sure, after he stabs the TelePrompTer guy in the back.
    He'd be unwise to do that. TOTUS will fight back.

What, exactly, did Obama say? As someone with a few mild disabilities, I have a real problem with anyone making jokes about the disabled. Oh, and this caught my eye:
    "He's obviously not "anti-mentally disabled" like Bush."
    I've never known Bush to do or say anything implying he was "anti- mentally disabled."
    I have, however, noticed countless far- lefties doing and saying things which demonstrate their hatred for the mentally disabled, such as:
    1. In the months leading up to the 2004 elections, some Internet liberals circulated a flier with Bush's head superimposed onto the body of a Special Olympics athlete along with the caption, "Voting for Bush is like competing in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still a retard."
    2. In the movie 'Operation Tropic Thunder,' directed by and starring outspoken Obama supporter Ben Stiller, they frequently make insulting comments about the mentally disabled, such as calling them "Stupid."
    3. The countless posts on DU and elsewhere saying all kinds of vile things about Trig Palin.

It was a joke! Jokes are made all the time in movies.. It's called humor and free speech.. Everyone needs to get their panties out of a bunch.. As much as i loathe Obama, i'll defend his right to make an off-color joke to the death.. He's not a classy man-he's an inner city thug. He got out of Harvard and dived headlong into the inner city crap of the Chicago churches and adopted their racist values.. Why would we expect him to never talk like the everyday black person on the streets of Chicago.. He doesn't come from class, as do most presidents-he comes from a Kenyan and a white woman who wasn't very high class.. he's just showing his true colors.. And he has every right to make dumb jokes.

Free speech means that you are free to say what you want. It's not called freedom from offense.. If some speech wasn't offensive, it wouldn't need defending or protections!!

We can't start acting like the whiny Liberals who are offended by everything that is not intended to be offensive. People are acting like that jackass race terrorist Al Sharpton with his damn antenna up looking for anything little thing to cry about..

Obama struck a blow against political correctness, and I applaud him saying whatever comes to mind..
    Last edited by stsinner; 03-20-2009 at 08:31 AM.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

We can't start acting like the whiny Liberals who are offended by everything
    I think you've missed the point.

Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    It was a joke! Jokes are made all the time in movies.. It's called humor and free speech.. Everyone needs to get their panties out of a bunch.. As much as i loathe Obama, i'll defend his right to make an off-color joke to the death.. He's not a classy man-he's an inner city thug. He got out of Harvard and dived headlong into the inner city crap of the Chicago churches and adopted their racist values.. Why would we expect him to never talk like the everyday black person on the streets of Chicago.. He doesn't come from class, as do most presidents-he comes from a Kenyan and a white woman who wasn't very high class.. he's just showing his true colors.. And he has every right to make dumb jokes.

Free speech means that you are free to say what you want. It's not called freedom from offense.. If some speech wasn't offensive, it wouldn't need defending or protections!!

We can't start acting like the whiny Liberals who are offended by everything that is not intended to be offensive. People are acting like that jackass race terrorist Al Sharpton with his damn antenna up looking for anything little thing to cry about..

Obama struck a blow against political correctness, and I applaud him saying whatever comes to mind..

Freedom of speech does mean that you are free to say what you want. Free speech doesn't mean that you say anything without consequences. Ask Jimmy "the Greek" Snyder. Ask Al Campanis. Ask Michael Richards did it pay to be a little politically incorrect, and he was at a comedy club doing an act. As Rush says, "Words mean things." Give Obama some sensitivity training, and he'll be alright. ;)

When a white guy can lose his job for saying the word, "Niggardly," and using it correctly to mean miserly, and when black man con demand from a white man an apology for using the tern, "Black hole," to describe disappearing money, any further language talk in in this stupid country is pointless. when the level of ignorance is so high, even in public office, as in this video, it's somply hopeless.. Only they are allowed to wage language warfare, no matter how ignorant the argument.

It's hopeless...
    Last edited by stsinner; 03-20-2009 at 10:32 AM.
    Obama-if you're being run out of town, get out in front and pretend that it's a parade!!!

9. #9 Barack Obama red-faced after Special Olympics jibe on Leno Show 
    It was billed as the first time a sitting President of the United States had ever appeared as a guest on a late night talk show.

And after Barack Obama’s appearance on last night’s edition of The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, there’s also a good chance that it was the last.

Granted, the President - as always - was charming. Granted, he lit-up the studio with that Hollywood-grade smile. And yes, he explained the AIG crisis in clear, measured terms, and wisely backed away from a Congressional attempt to impose a punitive 90 per cent tax on unpopular bankers. (“I think that the best way to handle this is to make sure that you’ve closed the door before the horse gets out of the barn,” he said, calmly. “And what happened here was that the money had already gone out, and people are scrambling to try to find ways to get back [at the recipients.”) All in all, ‘Oboe One’ reminded severed million Americans, especially those who had crossed over from the other side, why they voted for him.

And then... he made a joke about the Special Olympics.

It just seemed to pop out of nowhere. One minute the President was being all warm and self-deprecating. The next he was making fun of the disabled.

Not even Mr Obama’s second-in-command, the apocalyptically hapless Joe Biden, could have snatched such a resounding defeat from the jaws of such a guaranteed victory. ... “I imagine the bowling alley has been just burned and closed down,” said Leno.

“No, no,” replied the President. “I have been practicing... I bowled a 129.”

“That’s very good, Mr President,” said Leno.

And then it happened. Amid laughter, Mr Obama quipped, “It’s like - it was like the Special Olympics, or something.” And in the instant he said it, you could see a flash of realisation in his eyes: I’ve just mocked the disabled. On live TV.

Within minutes of the show going on air, the President's team were furiously clarifying the situation. “The president made an offhand remark making fun of his own bowling that was in no way intended to disparage the Special Olympics,” Bill Burton, a White House spokesman, told reporters aboard Air Force One on the flight back to Washington. ...
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5942677.ece

Smartest President ever.

See what happens when he leaves the teleprompter! Dumb ass!
    "If every poor man is to come here and start requesting money for all his children, the applicants will never be satisfied and the nation's finances will collapse." Emperor Tiberius: Tacitus:Annals