Thread: Special Ed Inclusion: Pro or Con? (Spinoff of another thread).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    An interesting flip side to entire question is the argument that mainstreaming effectively eradicates a couple of formerly important and vibrant subcultures: the deaf and the blind.

Back in the day, deaf and blind children were often sent to special schools and were more or less immersed in a subculture that was not simply accepting but supportive. A lot of those kids went on to become leaders and advocates, business people, and teachers. When you read their biographies, you can see that the school environment had a tremendous impact on them. Mainstreaming pretty much destroys those special subcultures.
    We still have very strong and thriving schools for the deaf and the blind here in Pittsburgh. I know teachers at both. :)
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by stsinner View Post
    My son once has a deaf kid in his class, and he had a person in the front of the class signing to him. It was distracting to the other kids, and I thought it was ridiculous..
    I have to admit - that when there is a signer present - my ADD kicks in and I find myself watching them. :o So perhaps there is a point to be made for how the inclusion is made - or perhaps starting inclusion after grammar school - but there is no reason to force these kids out of the classroom altogether.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.