Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Saturday's Highway Song 
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    I love to drive. I especially like driving in rural areas and seeing different parts of the country. Barns, fields, old houses, woods, mountains and everything else our great nation provides by way of scenery is a great gift nature gives us.

Sometimes I like to roll quietly, just listening to the sound of the engine and the road, but music and the highway go so well together. Music can accentuate the experience of travel, alleviate boredom, make you think, make you smile.

I get my kicks on Route 66. Highway 61 Revisited and It's a highway song, sing it on and on, on and on....

It's a perfect time to listen to albums. The whole thing..front to back, in order as the artist arranged it.

TOTD: Tunes. Saturday Jukebox. Albums and songs for the open road. Also, name the road. I've never been on Route 66. I've been on Highway 41 with the Allman Brothers.

How about an album or song, and maybe even a road to drive and listen to it. I'll share later.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Banned
    Sunny morning here in the Insurance Capital. Going to be quite warm and humid, as we, my girlfriend and I, go practice "our" driving (for the umpteenth weekend in a row).

TOTD: I despise driving. If I could avoid owning a car for the rest of my life, I would (as evidenced by the fact that I've put off buying one until she passes her driving test :D). However, the TOTD is easy peasy, although it's an album, not a song (the road is obvious) --

And, from that album, the expression of where all our hopes and dreams reside: Behind Door Number Three. :D
    Last edited by Cold Warrior; 06-28-2008 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Sunny morning here in the Insurance Capital. Going to be quite warm and humid, as we, my girlfriend and I, go practice "our" driving (for the umpteenth weekend in a row).

TOTD: I despise driving. If I could avoid owning a car for the rest of my life, I would (as evidenced by the fact that I've put off buying one until she passes her driving test :D). However, the TOTD is easy peasy, although it's an alblum, not a song (the road is obvious) --

And, from that album, the expression of where all our hopes and dreams reside: Behind Door Number Three. :D
    Good one CW. I love to drive A1A but it's getting more difficult with all the stop lights. Still love it though. I'm going to kick in with some mountain roads in a little while, with the appropriate music of course.

When traveling long distances, I love to listen to Eric Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by Teetop View Post
    When traveling long distances, I love to listen to Eric Johnson.

Way Cool!!! I have never heard of this guy but went to his website (thanks) and listened to a couple of his songs. Damn he's good. His guitar playing is amazing. I like the style too.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about..a Saturday Jukebox thread that gave me, and possibly others, a new artist to enjoy.
    Treetop, thanks.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    I love to drive. I especially like driving in rural areas and seeing different parts of the country. Barns, fields, old houses, woods, mountains and everything else our great nation provides by way of scenery is a great gift nature gives us.

Sometimes I like to roll quietly, just listening to the sound of the engine and the road, but music and the highway go so well together. Music can accentuate the experience of travel, alleviate boredom, make you think, make you smile.

I get my kicks on Route 66. Highway 61 Revisited and It's a highway song, sing it on and on, on and on....

It's a perfect time to listen to albums. The whole thing..front to back, in order as the artist arranged it.

TOTD: Tunes. Saturday Jukebox. Albums and songs for the open road. Also, name the road. I've never been on Route 66. I've been on Highway 41 with the Allman Brothers.

How about an album or song, and maybe even a road to drive and listen to it. I'll share later.
    Rey Charles ,"Hit the road jack"
    Allman Brothers Band,Desert Blues
    Horse with no name,Lonely People,Ventura Highway
    The Animals, The,House of the rising sun
    Louis Armstrong,Lazy River
    Bachman Turner Overdrive,Roll on down the highway
    Bee Gees,Stayin' Alive
    Blasters,Dark Night
    Wheel Stealers,Stuck in the Middle with you
    Steely Dan,Springtime,Trans-Island skyway
    Chuck Berry,You never can tell
    Steppenwolf,Born to be wild

Good one CW. I love to drive A1A but it's getting more difficult with all the stop lights. Still love it though. I'm going to kick in with some mountain roads in a little while, with the appropriate music of course.
    I love to drive out west. There's nothing to make one appreciate America than driving out Highway 70, heading due west, going through Kansas, then entering Colorado, driving through the plains til the first glimpse of the Rocky Mountains. Going over the Continental Divide is always an experience, no matter how many times. I know it sounds cheesy, but I love to listen to John Denver when approaching the mountains, you know that old "Rocky Mountain High" thing. There's something about his nasaly voice that's appropriate to "fill up your senses".

Another greyt route is along the Pacific Highway in California. My all time favorite is the Sea to Sky highway near Vancouver, BC, from the Vancouver area to Whistler ski area.

Thanks for this topic, Bubba. Think I'll put on some of my "travelling" music and relax. My fav song while driving is "Moving down the Highway".

Way Cool!!! I have never heard of this guy but went to his website (thanks) and listened to a couple of his songs. Damn he's good. His guitar playing is amazing. I like the style too.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about..a Saturday Jukebox thread that gave me, and possibly others, a new artist to enjoy.
    Treetop, thanks.

Glad to help you out. My favorites are "Tones" & "Ah Via Musicom". Be careful though, you will look down as you're listening to him and be going about 85 or 90 mph. :eek:

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Rey Charles ,"Hit the road jack"
    Allman Brothers Band,Desert Blues
    Horse with no name,Lonely People,Ventura Highway
    The Animals, The,House of the rising sun
    Louis Armstrong,Lazy River
    Bachman Turner Overdrive,Roll on down the highway
    Bee Gees,Stayin' Alive
    Blasters,Dark Night
    Wheel Stealers,Stuck in the Middle with you
    Steely Dan,Springtime,Trans-Island skyway
    Chuck Berry,You never can tell
    Steppenwolf,Born to be wild

Nice mix. With the advent of the MP3 or Ipod you can custom mix your own road tunes, or just shuffle and see what the device gives you.

Didn't know the Blasters. I'll check 'em out.

I wonder what Shannon choose as her road tunes? Bet the Beatles will be in the mix.

The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.