Thread: Saturday's Highway Song

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Driving westward, on a meandering path to the Grand Canyon, I was making my way through the painted desert and the canyonlands of Utah. I would pop in some Carlos Nakai or Brule, or other native American flute music, and just absorb the dramatic vistas of the crimson and vermillion landscape against a deep indigo sky.

I'd love to drive through the southern states on the way to Memphis, with the top down and listen to some great delta blues jams, maybe some Muddy Waters or James Cotton or even Robert Johnson. I've cruised through the bayou country and Nawlins, but never been up to Beale St. yet.

Some great songs when you need to keep awake, The Doors, Roadhouse Blues or Break on through; Radar Love by Golden earring; Running down a dream, by Tom Petty; Welcome to the Jungle, GNR ; Born to Run by the Boss and The Eagles of course have several, Hotel California or Take it Easy are just a few that come to mind.

Some of my favorite driving songs:

Life is a Highway (predictable, I know) - original or that newer country version
    Burning Down the House - Talking Heads
    Simply Irresistible - Robert Palmer
    Heavy Metal - Sammy Hagar
    The Box - Orbital
    You Could Be Mine - GNR

The ultimate for me, though:

Barracuda - Heart

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    I have a John Denver CD or Two. Country Roads is a good song.

For You, STL:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-eaaR1Ay5P0
    Thanks so much, Bubba Dawg. It was a pleasure watching the Country Roads song. After that I went to the Rocky Mountain High one. SR probably thought I was nuts, singing along with it.

I want to visit the West again sooooo much. Sigh.

Used to think John Denver was so uncool. My kids laughed at their cousin who was a fan. They were into good ole' rock and roll. Somehow John Denver's music is oddly comforting.