1. #1 Jade Goody passes away in her sleep 
    Sonnabend
    http://www.news.com.au/entertainment...013560,00.html

CONTROVERSIAL British reality TV star Jade Goody has died after a battle with cervical cancer. Goody's distraught mother appeared briefly outside Goody's home with family friend Kevin Adams to tell reporters her daughter had died.

"Jade died at 3.55am (2.55pm AEDT) today and family and friends would like this privacy, at last, for this morning. Thank you,'' Budden, who was still dressed in long, striped pyjama bottoms, said.

Budden, Adams and Goody's husband, 21-year-old model Jack Tweed, had been at the star's side when she died. Her two sons Freddie, four, and Bobby, five, had been staying with their father, Jeff Brazier. A funeral is expected to be held in about 10 days' time.

Like her or love her, Jane's story is one we all share. Cervical cancer kills thousands each year.

Power CUer
    I had never heard of her before her illness, since we don't get any of the shows she was in, here in the States. She conducted her celebrity - and her death - as rather a circus, but a death like that at her age is very tough.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Like Linda, I only knew of this woman via her all-too-public decline. I do feel for the many women on the NHS who are (or soon will be) in the same boat since the superior rationed health care in the U.K. won't do pap smears on women under 25. :(

Power CUer
    Except that Jade Goody was told she had had abnormal paps on several occasions and ignored the letters to come in for treatment because she was "scared". So it's hard to blame this one on "socialized medicine".
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Except that Jade Goody was told she had had abnormal paps on several occasions and ignored the letters to come in for treatment because she was "scared". So it's hard to blame this one on "socialized medicine".
    Ah! I might be mixing her up with that other gal who was refused paps based on the age cut-off and now is taking her case public to get the process changed. :o

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I had never heard of her before her illness, since we don't get any of the shows she was in, here in the States. She conducted her celebrity - and her death - as rather a circus, but a death like that at her age is very tough.

We were talking about this over lunch. Part of why she allowed her death to become a circus was to raise money for her kids for after her death-she made all those tabloids pay her to cover her illness and death.