Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Unhealthiest restaurants in the US 
    I was right. We went to a Ruby Tuesday in Florida last year, and I thought the food was terrible. When I returned home, looked up the nutritional information and I vowed to never, ever go there again. But at least they make the info, however horrible, available.

http://health.msn.com/nutrition/arti...ntid=100235017

America's Unhealthiest Restaurants

Going out to eat? The authors of Eat This, Not That! have some recommendations on places to avoid.

By David Zinczenko and Matt Goulding, Men's Health

Find more:

Your favorite fast food restaurant is often like your favorite city: Visit some neighborhoods and you live the high life. Visit others and you’re just plain asking for trouble. And that’s where Eat This, Not That! comes in: We’ve analyzed and graded 66 different chain restaurants—fast food and sit-down—to determine which ones have healthy options, and which could turn out to be diet disasters. What we found will surprise you. Specifically, some of the fast food joints you’ve come to think of as terrible for you actually ranked alright—McDonald’s scored a B+, for example, so the Micky D’s drive-through just might be your fast-lane to weight loss. Something even more shocking, though: More than half of the sit-down restaurants we graded ended up with our lowest scores!
    To separate the commendable from the deplorable, we calculated the total number of calories per entrée. This gave us a snapshot of how each restaurant compared in average serving size—a key indicator of unhealthy portion distortion. Then we rewarded establishments with fruit and vegetable side-dish choices, as well as offering whole-wheat bread. Finally, we penalized places for excessive amounts of trans fats and menus that temp you with gut-busting desserts. Hey, if the neighborhood is crowded with shady characters, sooner or later, one of them will jump you.
    Here’s our list of the Worst Restaurants in America. It’ll help you stay on the safer side of town.
    Baskin-Robbins: D+
    We thought we'd see some improvements after we identified Baskin's Heath Shake as the Worst Drink on the Planet. All they did was lower it from 2,300 to 1,900 calories, leaving an almost equally egregious drinkable disaster to set back unsuspecting sippers. It’s typical of the menu there; B-R’s soft serve is among the most caloric in the country, the smoothies contain more sugar than fruit, and most of what Baskin sticks into a cup winds up with more fat than a steakhouse buffet. Check out our list of the 20 Unhealthiest Drinks in America to see other liquid offenders. If you learn how to make smart choices when you sip, you can lose a few pounds a month—without giving up your favorite foods or ever dieting again.
    Survival strategy: With frozen yogurt, sherbet, and no-sugar-added ice cream, Baskin's lighter menu is the one bright spot. Just be sure to ask for your ice cream in a sugar or cake cone—the waffle cone will swaddle your treat in an extra 160 calories.
    Carl’s Jr.: D+
    Most fast-food restaurants today are making at least some attempt to offset their bulging burgers and deep-fried sides with healthier options such as lean sandwiches or yogurt parfaits. But Carl's Jr. is swimming against the nutritional tide, trying to attract those with hearty appetites and less concern about fat, salt, and calories. The lightest item on the breakfast menu, for instance, is the Hash Brown Nuggets—but even they have 21 grams of fat, and 5.5 of them are trans fats. (As a rule, you should try to get 2 grams or fewer of the stuff in an entire day!) The burgers are worse, and there's not a side on the menu that hasn't been given a long, bubbling bath in their trans-fatty frying oil.
    Survival strategy: Find another place to grab lunch. Failing that, you should settle on either the Charbroiled Chicken Salad with Low-Fat Balsamic Dressing or the Charbroiled BBQ Chicken Sandwich—the only sandwich on the menu with fewer than 400 calories.
    Denny’s: D+
    Too bad the adult menu at Denny's doesn't adhere to the same standard as the kids' menu. The famous Slam breakfasts all top 800 calories, and the burgers are even worse. The Double Cheeseburger is one of the worst in the country, with 116 grams of fat, 7 of which are trans fats. Make sure you try to avoid it whenever possible.
    Survival strategy: The Fit Fare menu gathers together all the best options on the menu. Outside of that, stick to the sirloin, grilled chicken, or soups. For breakfast, order a Veggie Cheese Omelet or create your own meal from à la carte options such as fruit, oatmeal, toast, and eggs.

snip
    Follow the link for more dietary horror!! :D

I eat about 2 Dairy Queen Twist cones a year and I've eaten steak a couple of times at the Outback. I don't care about health when I eat out. If you watch it 80% of time, you can eat like a drunken Roman Emperor the rest of the time with no problems. :D

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Denny's rules baby!!! Grand Slam is da best!!!:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I eat about 2 Dairy Queen Twist cones a year and I've eaten steak a couple of times at the Outback. I don't care about health when I eat out. If you watch it 80% of time, you can eat like a drunken Roman Emperor the rest of the time with no problems. :D
    Not if you have high blood pressure. If you look at the sodium content on many of those meals, it's enough to almost kill you.

I don't like Outback, think there food isn't that good. If I'm going out, prefer to go to a non-chain place. If I'm going to splurge, it's somewhere that has excellent food (not necessarily expensive). Food doesn't have to be drowning in fat and salty enough to make you drink a gallon of water. Better food doesn't need all that crap on it, but gets its taste from the judicious use of herbs.

BOOYAH!! Screw that sissy nutritional guide crap! Every time I see that shit on a menu I wanna bunch the server. :mad:
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Not if you have high blood pressure. If you look at the sodium content on many of those meals, it's enough to almost kill you.
    Then you shouldn't eat out. No reason why the rest of us should have to suffer!:p
    I don't like Outback, think there food isn't that good. If I'm going out, prefer to go to a non-chain place. If I'm going to splurge, it's somewhere that has excellent food (not necessarily expensive). Food doesn't have to be drowning in fat and salty enough to make you drink a gallon of water. Better food doesn't need all that crap on it, but gets its taste from the judicious use of herbs.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Depends on your condition. Mr. Snaps does have high blood pressure but he does not have a renin complication - only about 25% of HBP people do. For the rest, sodium intake doesn't affect them, either way.;)

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Then you shouldn't eat out. No reason why the rest of us should have to suffer!:p
    That's not what I said. It just helps to have information so the decision can be made. Enjoy whatever you want, doesn't matter one bit to me what you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Depends on your condition. Mr. Snaps does have high blood pressure but he does not have a renin complication - only about 25% of HBP people do. For the rest, sodium intake doesn't affect them, either way.;)
    I'll be sure to tell my board certified internist and the dietician at one of the major medical centers that Ginger on the internet suggested that she knew better.