Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1 The Civil War was unnecessary, and un-Christian. 
    Destroyer of Worlds Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Posts
    5,291
    Guess the Peanut farmer who said that? Yep Jimmy Carter..


    Here’s the latest outrage from Jimmy Carter, the ex-President so many Americans love to hate: He claims the Civil War - which he calls, Southern-style, “The War Between the States” - was un-Christian and could have been avoided.

    The comments come in a new book, “In Lincoln’s Hand: His Original Manuscripts With Commentary By Distinguished Americans.” Carter comments on a passage by Lincoln in which Lincoln writes: “I am almost ready to say this is probably true - that God wills this contest, and wills that it shall not end yet.”

    Carter writes that he finds the Lincoln writing “very troubling.” Continues Carter: “He ignores the fact that the tragic combat might have been avoided altogether, and that the leaders of both sides, overwhelmingly Christian, were violating a basic premise of their belief as followers of the Prince of Peace.” He concludes: “A legitimate question for historians is how soon the blight of slavery would have been terminated peacefully in America, as in Great Britain and other civilized societies.”

    http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/...ory_he_th.html
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Guess the Peanut farmer who said that? Yep Jimmy Carter..


    Here’s the latest outrage from Jimmy Carter, the ex-President so many Americans love to hate: He claims the Civil War - which he calls, Southern-style, “The War Between the States” - was un-Christian and could have been avoided.

    The comments come in a new book, “In Lincoln’s Hand: His Original Manuscripts With Commentary By Distinguished Americans.” Carter comments on a passage by Lincoln in which Lincoln writes: “I am almost ready to say this is probably true - that God wills this contest, and wills that it shall not end yet.”

    Carter writes that he finds the Lincoln writing “very troubling.” Continues Carter: “He ignores the fact that the tragic combat might have been avoided altogether, and that the leaders of both sides, overwhelmingly Christian, were violating a basic premise of their belief as followers of the Prince of Peace.” He concludes: “A legitimate question for historians is how soon the blight of slavery would have been terminated peacefully in America, as in Great Britain and other civilized societies.”

    http://www.nydailynews.com/opinions/...ory_he_th.html
    He's how old? He can't last too much longer can he??
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Destroyer of Worlds Apocalypse's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Posts
    5,291
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    He's how old? He can't last too much longer can he??
    He's a crazy liberal who cheers on terrorist and denounces our troops. He can hold on for years.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    He's a crazy liberal who cheers on terrorist and denounces our troops. He can hold on for years.
    all it will take is one good scare . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    He's how old? He can't last too much longer can he??
    People like Carter always seem to last for years and years. Or maybe it's just the time-distortion effect you get when you listen to them for more than 10 seconds.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    2,578
    I am surprised Gator has not chimed in supporting Mr Peanut. :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member FeebMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    1,008
    Quote Originally Posted by Lars1701a View Post
    I am surprised Gator has not chimed in supporting Mr Peanut. :D
    I will.

    I can't speak for the Christians, but certainly the war was unnecessary.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member dixierat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Out in the sticks
    Posts
    178
    Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post
    I will.

    I can't speak for the Christians, but certainly the war was unnecessary.
    I can agree with you. The War was unnecessary. Prior to the War, no discussion to my knowledge of compensated emancipation, which is how the rest of the world freed their slaves. HAd the South been offered $400/slave (the amount used by some other countries, the emancipation could have been accomplished w/o a shot fired.

    When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Naďve.

    Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •