Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Winter Wednesday 
    The mountains have been getting a lot of snow and more is on the way for today and tomorrow. I hope this storm also covers the eastern part of the state. The winter wheat farmers can really use the moisture.

TOTD: How do you dress for work? Today somebody complimented me on what I was wearing but followed it up with "You're always so dressed up! How do you do it?". I am not "dressed up" by my own standards but I'm wearing grown-up, professional clothing. Since I spent years being forced to wear throw-away jeans and teeshirts because of the acid damage, I like to wear nicer things now that I can.

Do you dress differently for work than for play? Is a professional look important for your job (or your mental health)? Would you wear pajamas to work if you could get away with it?

Power CUer
    I used to have to be VERY dressed up for work; then I joined a firm full of engineers and my fashion level declined. Now I try to look professional and comfortable, which mostly involves cashmere sweaters and pants from Eileen Fisher.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Work: Khakis and Cotton States Polo.

Off Work: Cotton shorts, jeans, or jorts, and T shirt. If I leave the house, I'm naked without a hat.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I used to have to be VERY dressed up for work; then I joined a firm full of engineers and my fashion level declined. Now I try to look professional and comfortable, which mostly involves cashmere sweaters and pants from Eileen Fisher.
    Thanks for the link! I don't usually wear pants to work unless it's really cold or sloppy out. I don't think I look all that great in pants. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post

Off Work: Cotton shorts, jeans, or jorts, and T shirt. If I leave the house, I'm naked without a hat.
    One note: On Wednesday and Friday, we wear jeans to work.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Power CUer
    I like Eileen Fishers because they come in different lengths; otherwise I spend my life in alterations getting everything shortened. :mad:
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post

I like Eileen Fishers because they come in different lengths; otherwise I spend my life in alterations getting everything shortened. :mad:
    That's funny, my wife can't find anything long enough.

TOTD

I do wear pajamas to 'work'. :D

When I am doing disaster relief we have what is almost a uniform. Cargo pocket shorts, t-shirts and hiking boots. If I am working as a Government Liaison I substitute cargo pocket Khakis for the shorts and a polo for the t-shirt.

It don't get more comfortable than that.

Power CUer
    Are you suggesting that I mail her the ten inches or so of fabric that gets cut off all the regular-length pants I have bought? :p

Are you suggesting that I mail her the ten inches or so of fabric that gets cut off all the regular-length pants I have bought? :p
    It's just funny after always hearing nothing is long enough (or if it is, it's for fat people) to hear nothing is short enough.