Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 African American Pastor Sent to Jail 
    African American Pastor Sent to Jail for Offering Abortion Alternatives on Public Sidewalk

OAKLAND, CA, March 23, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - On Friday the Rev. Walter Hoye of Berkeley, California, was ordered to serve 30 days in county jail by Judge Stuart Hing of the Alameda Superior Court. Rev. Hoye had been found guilty on January 15, 2009, of unlawfully approaching two persons entering an abortion facility in Oakland. Judge Hing had also ordered him to stay one hundred yards away from the abortion facility for three years. However, Rev. Hoye refused this term of probation and would not agree to a stay-away order. Therefore, the judge denied the defense motion to stay the sentence pending appeal. Mr Hoye was taken into custody from the courtroom.

At a hearing on February 19, Judge Hing stated that he had not intended to impose any fine or jail time on Rev. Hoye if he would agree to stay away from the abortion facility. After Rev. Hoye refused to agree not to offer alternatives to abortion-minded women, Judge Hing imposed a 30-day sentence and $1130 fine.

Dozens in the African-American and pro-life communities from around the nation who came out in support of Rev. Hoye were outraged by the sentence.

"It is absolutely incredible that in America an individual can be sentenced to jail for engaging in peaceful free speech activity on a public sidewalk," remarked Allison Aranda, Staff Counsel for Life Legal Defense Foundation. "Rev. Hoye is being singled out for particularly harsh punishment because he refused to agree not to offer help to women considering abortion. Where is the justice in that?"
    I really enjoyed the icing on the cake that the Oakland city council added.

Read it all here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

so it's legal to coerce people into abortion - but illegal to ask them not to have one?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    so it's legal to coerce people into abortion - but illegal to ask them not to have one?
    Apparently. And intent is now illegal. What is next? With the arrest people who approach others to offer them an alternative to voting for their current or party affilication or an alternative to whatever faith or denomination they are? This sounds like some law that someone on DU concocted like the deleting of all posts that are critical of Obama.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

This is an extreme decision against someone who was acting peacefully.

It never would have happened, however, if not for some of the more radical and sometimes violent behavior of more extremist anti-abortion activists in the past. The laws that create a safety zone (or whatever term is used legally) around the clinics were put there to protect the employees and patients from direct threats, like the people who have murdered abortion providers and who have burned down clinics. I understand that most people who are opposed to abortion are not associated with those actions, but the courts and city councils have had to deal with the small group who are frequently over the last few decades.

I think the Reverend probably would do more good if he worked with a clinic that provided abortion alternatives and counseling for pregnant women. He could counsel women, or he could do fundraising and a public awareness campaign about the programs. I have no problem with people making women aware of their options, as long as those doing so are upfront and honest about their intentions.

Dozens in the African-American and pro-life communities from around the nation who came out in support of Rev. Hoye were outraged by the sentence.

Why? This has nothing to do with race.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    This is an extreme decision against someone who was acting peacefully.

It never would have happened, however, if not for some of the more radical and sometimes violent behavior of more extremist anti-abortion activists in the past. The laws that create a safety zone (or whatever term is used legally) around the clinics were put there to protect the employees and patients from direct threats, like the people who have murdered abortion providers and who have burned down clinics. I understand that most people who are opposed to abortion are not associated with those actions, but the courts and city councils have had to deal with the small group who are frequently over the last few decades.

I think the Reverend probably would do more good if he worked with a clinic that provided abortion alternatives and counseling for pregnant women. He could counsel women, or he could do fundraising and a public awareness campaign about the programs. I have no problem with people making women aware of their options, as long as those doing so are upfront and honest about their intentions.

Can you come up with the number of abortion providers killed? has to be tons if they restricting Free speech like this.

Its murder pure and simple Noon you dont sit down and "work" with murderers, you stop them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post

Why? This has nothing to do with race.
    I had some trouble with that as well. Although there is a fairly valid argument (I don't remember the statistics, though), that abortion is being pushed on the AA community in an effort to affect that population in particular. To that extent I can see this as a valid concern of the AA community, as well as the pro-life community.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    I had some trouble with that as well. Although there is a fairly valid argument (I don't remember the statistics, though), that abortion is being pushed on the AA community in an effort to affect that population in particular. To that extent I can see this as a valid concern of the AA community, as well as the pro-life community.
    That, I can see. I just figured it was because the preacher was black.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Lars1701a View Post
    Can you come up with the number of abortion providers killed? has to be tons if they restricting Free speech like this.

Its murder pure and simple Noon you dont sit down and "work" with murderers, you stop them.

Stats for the years 1989-2004 are available at www.religioustolerance.org/abo_vio.htm

The numbers are broken down in categories, like murders/attempted murders, arson/attempted arsons, and so on.

The first link doesn't bring up the page, so this one will

http://www.prochoice.org/about_abort...ce/murders.asp
    Last edited by noonwitch; 03-26-2009 at 12:26 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Stats for the years 1989-2004 are available at www.religioustolerance.org/abo_vio.htm

The numbers are broken down in categories, like murders/attempted murders, arson/attempted arsons, and so on.

The first link doesn't bring up the page, so this one will

http://www.prochoice.org/about_abort...ce/murders.asp

10 killings vs 100 of millions, they should really go after people like the OP described we need to nip this in the bud.