Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1 Sinful Sunday? Nooooo! 
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Hazy this morning in the Insurance Salesman's Graveyard, after a hot and muggy Saturday. Went yesterday to a place really in this sticks (as opposed to this place which is marginally in the sticks) called Enfield for a driving lesson for my girlfriend. She's switched schools as a precaution against getting the same state tester since she called him a "$10 government-employed loser" and all. The instructor was some old guy who kept telling her she MUST cross her hands when she turns and that, while she can do a three point maneuver to back into a parking space ok, she MUST continue to practice because she'll be doing that a lot in her driving life. I've never understood this (both instructors have told her this) as I've virtually never backed into a parking space in a lifetime of driving. The response she gets is she needs to back in so she can leave more quickly (I assume these people must moonlight at robbing 7/11's if they need to leave parking lots so quickly).

    Anyway, Enfield has a very nice sports bar (one of America's truly great contributions to world culture), so I sat there, drinking, of course, a scotch, watching American cricket (Yankees and Mets), and thinking what a good person I am to dedicate so much of my time each weekend to this effort. I remembered that somewhere in the distant past, Snaps (I think) had started a thread regarding the Seven Mortal Sins, aka Dante's seven circles of Purgatory. I also remembered that various philosophers and theologians had come up with seven perfect virtues (symmetry being everything to the some people). So, thanks to Blackberry and WikiMobile, I was able to find those immediately. There are various lists, some of which contain those three Bradley sisters, Faith, Hope, and Charity...


    However, the list put forth in Aurelius Clemens Prudentius' (good name) Contest of the Soul seems to be the most widely-known:

    Chastity: Embracing of moral wholesomeness and achieving purity of body and thought through education and betterment.
    Temperance: Practicing self-control, abstention, and moderation.
    Charity: Generosity. Willingness to give. A nobility of thought or actions.
    Diligence: A zealous and careful nature in one's actions and work. Decisive work ethic. Budgeting one's time; monitoring one's own activities to guard against laziness. Putting forth full concentration in one's work
    Patience: Forbearance and endurance through moderation. Resolving conflicts peacefully, as opposed to resorting to violence. The ability to forgive; to show mercy to sinners.
    Kindness: Charity, compassion, friendship, and sympathy without prejudice and for its own sake.
    Humility: Modest behavior, selflessness, and the giving of respect. Giving credit where credit is due; not unfairly glorifying one's own self.
    While we are all mortal beings who sin (however, not all of us are able to dance real slow), all of us (most of us, anyway :D) do possess some virtuous traits. So, I was thinking, which one was most appropriate to me (I'm still thinking, as those beginning with "c" were eliminated fairly quickly). This all leads me to the very, very simple...

    TOTD: Which of the seven virtues most characterizes you? To all you really good people out there, pick only one, despite the fact that many may be reflected in your wonderful personality!

    And to those of you who have none, you may certainly expect a visit from...


    .
    Last edited by Cold Warrior; 06-29-2008 at 10:16 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Hazy this morning in the Insurance Salesman's Graveyard, after a hot and muggy Saturday. Went yesterday to a place really in this sticks (as opposed to this place which is marginally in the sticks) called Enfield for a driving lesson for my girlfriend. She's switched schools as a precaution against getting the same state tester since she called him a "$10 government-employed loser" and all. The instructor was some old guy who kept telling her she MUST cross her hands when she turns and that, while she can do a three point maneuver to back into a parking space ok, she MUST continue to practice because she'll be doing that a lot in her driving life. I've never understood this (both instructors have told her this) as I've virtually never backed into a parking space in a lifetime of driving. The response she gets is she needs to back in so she can leave more quickly (I assume these people must moonlight at robbing 7/11's if they need to leave parking lots so quickly).

    Anyway, Enfield has a very nice sports bar (one of America's truly great contributions to world culture), so I sat there, drinking, of course, a scotch, watching American cricket (Yankees and Mets), and thinking what a good person I am to dedicate so much of my time each weekend to this effort. I remembered that somewhere in the distant past, Snaps (I think) had started a thread regarding the Seven Mortal Sins, aka Dante's seven circles of Purgatory. I also remembered that various philosophers and theologians had come up with seven perfect virtues (symmetry being everything to the some people). So, thanks to Blackberry and WikiMobile, I was able to find those immediately. There are various lists, some of which contain those three Bradley sisters, Faith, Hope, and Charity...


    However, the list put forth in Aurelius Clemens Prudentius' (good name) Contest of the Soul seems to be the most widely-known:



    While we are all mortal beings who sin, all of us (most of us, anyway :D) do possess some virtuous traits. So, I was thinking, which one was most appropriate to me (I'm still thinking, as those beginning with "c" were eliminated fairly quickly). This all leads me to the very, very simple...

    TOTD: Which of the seven virtues of most characterize you? To all you good people out there, pick only one, despite the fact that many may be reflected in your wonderful personality!

    And to those of you who have none, you may certainly expect a visit from...


    .
    Is this to be a Catholic confession thread ?Will you grant absolution for all sins ?Will you extract a fearful penance?Will we feel our hearts lighten in pure bliss ?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Is this to be a Catholic confession thread ?Will you grant absolution for all sins ?Will you extract a fearful penance?Will we feel our hearts lighten in pure bliss ?
    I'm not asking you to confess your sins, I'm asking you to evaluate your virtues. Sins is a different, much longer, much more interesting thread. :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,297
    brevity is the soul of wit
    Polonius in Hamlet
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    brevity is the soul of wit
    Polonius in Hamlet
    Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
    Dorothy Parker
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Dorothy Parker
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member DarkScribe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Sunshine State
    Posts
    787
    Shannon and The Brat are homeward bound, hopefully soon...I miss 'em!

    TOTD: Interesting as always. It would be hard for me to say just ONE, but I guess it would be humility. Did you mention yours? Chastity, was it? :eek:
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,361
    Charity. I don't claim any of the others at all.

    And I've never backed into a parking space in my LIFE.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Hartford, CT USA
    Posts
    2,024
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Charity. I don't claim any of the others at all.

    And I've never backed into a parking space in my LIFE.
    I'm leaning towards either Charity or Patience, myself, as any of the others are simply a joke. :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,361
    I wouldn't assume all the others even ARE virtues. Especially temperance and chastity.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •