Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Sinful Sunday? Nooooo! 
    Banned
    Hazy this morning in the Insurance Salesman's Graveyard, after a hot and muggy Saturday. Went yesterday to a place really in this sticks (as opposed to this place which is marginally in the sticks) called Enfield for a driving lesson for my girlfriend. She's switched schools as a precaution against getting the same state tester since she called him a "$10 government-employed loser" and all. The instructor was some old guy who kept telling her she MUST cross her hands when she turns and that, while she can do a three point maneuver to back into a parking space ok, she MUST continue to practice because she'll be doing that a lot in her driving life. I've never understood this (both instructors have told her this) as I've virtually never backed into a parking space in a lifetime of driving. The response she gets is she needs to back in so she can leave more quickly (I assume these people must moonlight at robbing 7/11's if they need to leave parking lots so quickly).

Anyway, Enfield has a very nice sports bar (one of America's truly great contributions to world culture), so I sat there, drinking, of course, a scotch, watching American cricket (Yankees and Mets), and thinking what a good person I am to dedicate so much of my time each weekend to this effort. I remembered that somewhere in the distant past, Snaps (I think) had started a thread regarding the Seven Mortal Sins, aka Dante's seven circles of Purgatory. I also remembered that various philosophers and theologians had come up with seven perfect virtues (symmetry being everything to the some people). So, thanks to Blackberry and WikiMobile, I was able to find those immediately. There are various lists, some of which contain those three Bradley sisters, Faith, Hope, and Charity...

However, the list put forth in Aurelius Clemens Prudentius' (good name) Contest of the Soul seems to be the most widely-known:

Chastity: Embracing of moral wholesomeness and achieving purity of body and thought through education and betterment.
    Temperance: Practicing self-control, abstention, and moderation.
    Charity: Generosity. Willingness to give. A nobility of thought or actions.
    Diligence: A zealous and careful nature in one's actions and work. Decisive work ethic. Budgeting one's time; monitoring one's own activities to guard against laziness. Putting forth full concentration in one's work
    Patience: Forbearance and endurance through moderation. Resolving conflicts peacefully, as opposed to resorting to violence. The ability to forgive; to show mercy to sinners.
    Kindness: Charity, compassion, friendship, and sympathy without prejudice and for its own sake.
    Humility: Modest behavior, selflessness, and the giving of respect. Giving credit where credit is due; not unfairly glorifying one's own self.
    While we are all mortal beings who sin (however, not all of us are able to dance real slow), all of us (most of us, anyway :D) do possess some virtuous traits. So, I was thinking, which one was most appropriate to me (I'm still thinking, as those beginning with "c" were eliminated fairly quickly). This all leads me to the very, very simple...

TOTD: Which of the seven virtues most characterizes you? To all you really good people out there, pick only one, despite the fact that many may be reflected in your wonderful personality!

And to those of you who have none, you may certainly expect a visit from...

Last edited by Cold Warrior; 06-29-2008 at 10:16 AM.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Hazy this morning in the Insurance Salesman's Graveyard, after a hot and muggy Saturday. Went yesterday to a place really in this sticks (as opposed to this place which is marginally in the sticks) called Enfield for a driving lesson for my girlfriend. She's switched schools as a precaution against getting the same state tester since she called him a "$10 government-employed loser" and all. The instructor was some old guy who kept telling her she MUST cross her hands when she turns and that, while she can do a three point maneuver to back into a parking space ok, she MUST continue to practice because she'll be doing that a lot in her driving life. I've never understood this (both instructors have told her this) as I've virtually never backed into a parking space in a lifetime of driving. The response she gets is she needs to back in so she can leave more quickly (I assume these people must moonlight at robbing 7/11's if they need to leave parking lots so quickly).

Anyway, Enfield has a very nice sports bar (one of America's truly great contributions to world culture), so I sat there, drinking, of course, a scotch, watching American cricket (Yankees and Mets), and thinking what a good person I am to dedicate so much of my time each weekend to this effort. I remembered that somewhere in the distant past, Snaps (I think) had started a thread regarding the Seven Mortal Sins, aka Dante's seven circles of Purgatory. I also remembered that various philosophers and theologians had come up with seven perfect virtues (symmetry being everything to the some people). So, thanks to Blackberry and WikiMobile, I was able to find those immediately. There are various lists, some of which contain those three Bradley sisters, Faith, Hope, and Charity...

However, the list put forth in Aurelius Clemens Prudentius' (good name) Contest of the Soul seems to be the most widely-known:

While we are all mortal beings who sin, all of us (most of us, anyway :D) do possess some virtuous traits. So, I was thinking, which one was most appropriate to me (I'm still thinking, as those beginning with "c" were eliminated fairly quickly). This all leads me to the very, very simple...

TOTD: Which of the seven virtues of most characterize you? To all you good people out there, pick only one, despite the fact that many may be reflected in your wonderful personality!

And to those of you who have none, you may certainly expect a visit from...

Is this to be a Catholic confession thread ?Will you grant absolution for all sins ?Will you extract a fearful penance?Will we feel our hearts lighten in pure bliss ?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Is this to be a Catholic confession thread ?Will you grant absolution for all sins ?Will you extract a fearful penance?Will we feel our hearts lighten in pure bliss ?
    I'm not asking you to confess your sins, I'm asking you to evaluate your virtues. Sins is a different, much longer, much more interesting thread. :D

brevity is the soul of wit
    Polonius in Hamlet

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    brevity is the soul of wit
    Polonius in Hamlet
    Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
    Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Dorothy Parker

Shannon and The Brat are homeward bound, hopefully soon...I miss 'em!

TOTD: Interesting as always. It would be hard for me to say just ONE, but I guess it would be humility. Did you mention yours? Chastity, was it? :eek:
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Power CUer
    Charity. I don't claim any of the others at all.

And I've never backed into a parking space in my LIFE.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Charity. I don't claim any of the others at all.

And I've never backed into a parking space in my LIFE.
    I'm leaning towards either Charity or Patience, myself, as any of the others are simply a joke. :D

Power CUer
    I wouldn't assume all the others even ARE virtues. Especially temperance and chastity.