Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Senate reviewing how college football picks No. 1 
    WASHINGTON (AP) - Everyone from President Barack Obama on down to fans has criticized how college football determines its top team. Now senators are getting off the sidelines to examine antitrust issues involving the Bowl Champion Series.

The current system "leaves nearly half of all the teams in college football at a competitive disadvantage when it comes to qualifying for the millions of dollars paid out every year," the Senate Judiciary's subcommittee on antitrust, competition policy and consumer rights said in a statement Wednesday announcing the hearings.

Under the BCS, some conferences get automatic bids to participate in series, while others do not.

Obama and some members of Congress favor a playoff-type system to determine the national champion. The BCS features a championship game between the two top teams in the BCS standings, based on two polls and six computer ratings.

Behind the push for the hearings is the subcommittee's top Republican, Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah. People there were furious that Utah was bypassed for the national championship despite going undefeated in the regular season.

The title game pitted No. 1 Florida (12-1) against No. 2 Oklahoma (12-1); Florida won 24-14 and claimed the title.

The subcommittee's statement said Hatch would introduce legislation "to rectify this situation." No details were offered and Hatch's office declined to provide any. ...
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php...show_article=1

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Wow, it's great to see the important issues of the day are being tackled. No pun intended. :D

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Wow, it's great to see the important issues of the day are being tackled. No pun intended. :D
    They probably sorted out the economy by mid morning and managed to squeeze this into some spare moments. ;)

They are more qualified to tackle this problem, every one wants a college playoff type system! Now put them back on anything to do with economy and they are lost!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

I really could care less about how college football teams are ranked. I can't believe this issue made it to the Senate.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I really could care less about how college football teams are ranked. I can't believe this issue involved the government at all
    fify :)
    "People should not fear their governments; governments should fear their people."

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I really could care less about how college football teams are ranked. I can't believe this issue made it to the Senate.
    Believe it. :D
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Believe it. :D
    As long as they let the Mountain West in.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    As long as they let the Mountain West in.
    Hah, you know those feel good libs! They will try to "level the playing field". Good teams get to play with 9 guys, bad teams get 15! :D

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

I shall sleep much better tonight knowing that the economy is now Okey Dokey and my pony should be on it's way. Utopia has arrived at long last and the government has nothing else better to do that get involved with trivial issues that they have no business worrying about in the first place.

BTW, anyone know where I can get small bales of hey?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis