Thread: Cracks in levee force evacuation of Fargo neighborhood

1. #1 Cracks in levee force evacuation of Fargo neighborhood 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Bad flooding for these folks.

(CNN)
    The evacuations came as the National Weather Service predicted the Red River would crest Saturday at several feet above an 1897 record.
    Fargo Mayor Dennis Walaker said late Thursday that about 100 people were evacuated from a nursing home and another 40 people from a nearby neighborhood. No one was in immediate danger, officials said.

MeritCare Hospital and MeritCare South University Hospital announced late Thursday they would begin evacuating 180 patients. Emergency services were to stay open, but patients were being transferred to hospitals in and out of state.
    May the FORCE be with you!

One thing I haven't read in any article is: Where did all the water come from? I mean, the images on tv show snow around the houses & large chunks of ice in the river and I was reading where the Missouri River had to be unclogged of ice flows with dynamite. If it's still cold, it can't be melting ice. [checks weather] In fact, it's currently 13 up there! Where, oh where, has all this come from?
    "Because we're a great nation, our challenges seem complex; it will always be this way. But as long as we remember our first principals and believe in ourselves, the future will always be ours." -Reagan

:( prayers for those in the way of flooding. Imagine the disaster when this water gets down to NOLA.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by AHeneen View Post
    One thing I haven't read in any article is: Where did all the water come from? I mean, the images on tv show snow around the houses & large chunks of ice in the river and I was reading where the Missouri River had to be unclogged of ice flows with dynamite. If it's still cold, it can't be melting ice. [checks weather] In fact, it's currently 13 up there! Where, oh where, has all this come from?
    My old stomping grounds.
    Red River is very interesting. Flat prairie land all around and I do mean flat! The Red River actually flows south to north so in the spring you can follow the news and watch the progress as it comes closer :eek:
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

"I was skeptical as far as volunteers coming out today, but they're like mailmen," said Leon Schlafmann, Fargo's emergency management director. "They come out rain, sleet or shine."

Several unusual factors sent the Red River surging to historic heights this year. The winter was unusually cold and snowy, which left a large snowpack sitting on top of frozen ground that couldn't absorb it. Then a warm snap and heavy rain quickly melted the snow and sent it into toward the river.

And it all happened to a river that flows north. When most rivers in the United States melt, they send the extra water south toward warmer, open water. When the Red breaks up, it sends hunks of ice north into colder water that is often still frozen.
    Yahoo

The river flows north. I believe it is the result of ice jams up stream.

Complicated by this:
    "You've had blizzard conditions across the state, following on the heels of recent rains," said Patrick Slattery, a spokesman for the National Weather Service. "The ground is so saturated, nothing else can soak in. There's nowhere for the water to go."