Thread: Flowery Friday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Flowery Friday 
    Power CUer
    It's the beginning of cherry blossom time in Washington; trees are beginning to bloom all over.

TOTD: The Washington Post is compressing its already-pathetic business section, and will no longer run stock tables. This is not a big deal for me or most others who follow stocks, because we are used to looking them up online. My 88 year old father follows his stocks, though, and has never owned or wanted to own a personal computer. What's he supposed to do?
    The answer is, I'm going to have to buy him a subscription to the Wall Street Journal.
    Has any technological or other change just left you behind? Have you ever said, "Okay, that's it, I'm out" when a format change is made in your life?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Mid 70's and sunny today. My azaleas are starting to bloom! Yay!

I am so far behind on TV technology I need a 12 year old to help me.

I have an 8 year old TV and when it goes I'll be in trouble when I have to deal with HD, LCD, Plasma, Blue Ray, etc.... I am utterly clueless what all of that is.

By the way, neither of my parents hace ever had an ATM card. When they need cash they go to the bank drive thru and cash a check.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Power CUer
    My father's never used an ATM either. He retired around the time they came out, so getting to the bank when it's open has never been a problem.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    Mid 70's and sunny today. My azaleas are starting to bloom! Yay!

I am so far behind on TV technology I need a 12 year old to help me.

I have an 8 year old TV and when it goes I'll be in trouble when I have to deal with HD, LCD, Plasma, Blue Ray, etc.... I am utterly clueless what all of that is.

By the way, neither of my parents hace ever had an ATM card. When they need cash they go to the bank drive thru and cash a check.

The Jonquil and Daffodils are enjoying a spring shower.

When the TV finally goes 'belly Up' find a friends son,neighborhood kid or even the paperboy to help you decide what to replace it with.

I'll even start.

LCD TV are the winner in the great display debate,Plasma require more power and are brighter but fail more quickly due to excess heat generated .There is very little HD TV broadcast or DVD titles available as of now with only the national news and sporting events on the HD cable so far and with most cable company's they require to rent a separate, more expensive cable box.

As for DVD players stay with what you have for now.Blue Ray is being pushed by Sony as the standard but don't decide just now,wait awhile .Another thing about Sony is they are being sued for downloading hidden software RootKits when a customer plays a CD or DVD .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_So...ection_scandal
    http://www.moviecodec.com/topics/19132p2.html

Depending on your tastes and the rooms decorum a new set would be about forty two inch flat screen LCD non_ Sony .
    The reason that I dislike Sony is that every piece of Sony equipment I've ever purchased was inoperative after about a year of use.The Sony walkman started skipping tracks before it died after a few months .Several friends and family members have had similar experiences with their players.A large screen TV is a major investment for most people so reliability should be of paramount importance.

Power CUer
    We have a Sony TV that we've had for almost ten years, never a moment's trouble with it. I hope it doesn't die anytime soon, since bookshelves were built around it which will need some real reconfiguration for a different TV.

Well, we had some early flowers but they are under a ton of snow so forget all that. We will start melting over the weekend and then more snow is coming (probably) which is great for spring skiing, fire danger, and winter wheat. It's all good but we are some time away from flip-flop weather again.

TOTD: Where to start? I'm not an early-adopter by nature and most of my interests involve Luddite tech anyway: gardening, horseback riding, fishing, skiing, knitting, and so on. I still don't have a cell phone or an iPod. I refuse to take a cackleberry home from work. I spent three solid years on call 24/7 and that's enough. I've never had a TV in the bedroom and I almost always eat a real dinner while sitting at a real table.

On the other hand, I'm quick to reject various kinds of tech and fads. I haven't had a dead tree subscription in 12 years or more. I haven't used a stamp and envelope (outside of invitations) for years and years. I don't even own a hair straightener or curling iron. The idea of paying for a manicure makes me laugh. I'm not covered in tats. I've never had a spray-on tan. The only way wax is coming near my "personal area" is if it suddenly become a life-saving procedure involving general anesthesia. :p

Here's how out of the loop I am......

WTF is a Twitter?
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post

WTF is a Twitter?
    It's a social networking service that lets you annoy a large number of "friends" (both real and fake) by posting short descriptions of your current activities. It's basically a way for the hyper-needy to connect with each other and feel as though they actually have lives.

Oddly enough, if they weren't updating their Facebook page, tweeting on Twitter, and sending pointless IMs, they would actually have time for a genuine life.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It's a social networking service that lets you annoy a large number of "friends" (both real and fake) by posting short descriptions of your current activities. It's basically a way for the hyper-needy to connect with each other and feel as though they actually have lives.

Oddly enough, if they weren't updating their Facebook page, tweeting on Twitter, and sending pointless IMs, they would actually have time for a genuine life.
    I figured it was something stupid.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post

WTF is a Twitter?
    For what valid purpose does one Twitter.. ?

For the life of me, I fail to see the purpose in Twitter. I went there, I joined, I followed, and in dismay, I quit!

I spent time looking at where people said they had been sometimes days ago, without any validation!

I spent time reading what they said they had said, sometimes days or weeks ago without any validation!

I gained no knowledge!,I gained no insight!

The time spent following, seemed to be a mindless & senseless way of meandering through the day; and in the end, a total waste!

Twitter seems to be nothing more than an invitation to stalk, or be stalked!
    http://open.salon.com/blog/linker/20...es_one_twitter

A typical Twitter_Tweet :
    stevekloyda: @TBoard June - July. It will be here before you know it. Were you at the last SMBMSP? Did I ask you that before?
    nicycle: @MNHeadhunter I'm not sure I'm much use to you, so I understand. I tweet about Eco, Nonprofit, Bikes, MPLS and myself. But I went to @SMBMSP
    SMBMSP = SocialMediaBreakfastMinneapolisSaintPaul .