Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16
  1. #11  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Samurai View Post
    I assume the kids are required to read "The National Inquirer" instead of Reader's Digest in Frosh English these days. ;)

    LS

    Were you required to read Reader's Digest in frosh English?


    I think the kids are still required to read Romeo and Juliet, and A Tale Of Two Cities in Frosh English, like they did when I was in school. The question is more did they learn how to read well enough in K-8 that they can successfully complete their reading assignments in 9th grade?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    144
    Amongst MANY other things, Yes. The objective was to obtain volcabulary building techniques from such standard departments as "Towards a more picturesque speech" and the vocabulary quiz, et al.

    I WAS referring to High School Frosh English. (Just to be sure.)

    Apparently the effort paid dividends.... I can bandy about four syllable words with the best of them.... AND understand what they mean too boot!

    Nothing hurts my feelings more than to use a completely honest multisyllabic word, in perfect context, only to see the look of perplexity cross the visage of the recipient of my verbage. One can hear William F. Buckley spinning in his grave.

    LS
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    144
    The thought comes to mind.... since "Big Brother" HAS been elected, perhaps we could take the onus of learning ALL those nasty BIG words and what they mean out of the education process by adopting NewSpeak as the National Official Language. :eek:

    (If the students don't come up to your standards.... lower your standards!) ;)

    I wouldn't be much of a quantum leap from "Politically Correct" Speak and the Dem preferred "Doublespeak" to NewSpeak. But I suppose that would be doubleplusungood for most of us to have to take.

    LS
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Samurai View Post
    Nothing hurts my feelings more than to use a completely honest multisyllabic word, in perfect context, only to see the look of perplexity cross the visage of the recipient of my verbage. One can hear William F. Buckley spinning in his grave.

    LS
    Probably because you left the "i" out of "verbiage". And on another thread you spelled "loser" with two o's. :p
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Last Samurai View Post
    Amongst MANY other things, Yes. The objective was to obtain volcabulary building techniques from such standard departments as "Towards a more picturesque speech" and the vocabulary quiz, et al.

    I WAS referring to High School Frosh English. (Just to be sure.)

    Apparently the effort paid dividends.... I can bandy about four syllable words with the best of them.... AND understand what they mean too boot!

    Nothing hurts my feelings more than to use a completely honest multisyllabic word, in perfect context, only to see the look of perplexity cross the visage of the recipient of my verbage. One can hear William F. Buckley spinning in his grave.

    LS

    I forgot that they had the vocabulary tests in Reader's Digest. Those are probably somewhat helpful for a teacher who is too lazy to come up with his or her own tests. I always read the "Drama In Real Life" stories while I'm waiting at the dentist's office. My grandma used to read RD all the time, and when I was a kid, I could always read up on stories about serial killers and people surviving plane crashes with no adult ever questioning what I was reading, because it was RD.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Senior Member Rebel Yell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    5,181
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Probably because you left the "i" out of "verbiage". And on another thread you spelled "loser" with two o's. :p
    But those are only 3 and 2 syllable words, respectively.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •