Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    And Christian books still far outsell atheist books....
    ...by a wide margin.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I don't know... I hate to give your side hints (just kidding) but I think the problem with the Christian Book Expo was the limited scope. An expo featuring writers from a wide array of Christian denominations would have been much more of a draw than what was offered... which was an expo of evangelical writers. How dreary. Then again, asking evangelicals to share a tent with Catholics may be asking too much.

    I share my bed and my home with a Catholic. Why is that such a big deal. You seem to have a skewed view of the majority of Christians.
    Last edited by Constitutionally Speaking; 03-27-2009 at 12:59 PM.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My church has a bookstore, and they sell a variety of books by different authors-even though it's a liberal church, the store sells books by TD Jakes and Joel Osteen, who are not exactly liberals, and they sell all the Unity publications and the trendy, new age books of the day. But they carry very little serious theology. They'll order it for you.

    Family Bookstores, formerly Zondervan's Book Stores, sell a very limited selection of books, all of which are pretty much evangelical books.

    It would be nice to find a store where I could buy books by Aquinas, More, Bonhoeffer, and TD Jakes. Oh, yeah, there is. It's called Borders.
    Log on to a local library web site and search for your author or title.If they haven't the book ask them to order it for you.Most big librarys have a book purchase fund they can use .
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    I share my bed and my home with a Catholic. Why is that such a big deal. You seem to have a skewed view of the majority of Christians.
    A lot of evangelicals believe that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    A lot of evangelicals believe that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon.
    Lots of atheists believe that they know what the Christian faith entails - doesn't make em right - your point?
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,301
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    A lot of evangelicals believe that the Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon.
    And a lot don't, so what is the point?

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,301
    Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Those Zondervan stores are all over the place. I don't know how they turn a profit.
    There are independent book stores as well. We have a Christian book store here in town that is the size of a small warehouse and does a thriving business. I buy most of my theolgoical books from them. In fact they do so well that they opened a second one in the next county and it is doing just as good as the original.

    A lot of people have an interest in spirituality and faith especially when times are tough. Why would they seek out atheistism in down times just be told that life is a big accident, unfair and totally pointless so just suck it up and wait to go back to the dust you came from.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Senior Member Rebel Yell's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    South GA
    Posts
    5,181
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    There are independent book stores as well. We have a Christian book store here in town that is the size of a small warehouse and does a thriving business. I buy most of my theolgoical books from them. In fact they do so well that they opened a second one in the next county and it is doing just as good as the original.

    A lot of people have an interest in spirituality and faith especially when times are tough. Why would they seek out atheistism in down times just be told that life is a big accident, unfair and totally pointless so just suck it up and wait to go back to the dust you came from.
    Why? Why? Why do you keep playing with him. Do you normally enjoy beating your head against a wall? I bet you're one of those people who play the same song over and over and over.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Why? Why? Why do you keep playing with him. Do you normally enjoy beating your head against a wall? I bet you're one of those people who play the same song over and over and over.
    I'm sure if God had a head to bang and a wall to bang it on He'd have banged it over me. All I try to do is reflect the same patience that God had with me. Besides, we don't know who God will eventually call to Himself... It might even be Night Owl.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Senior Member The Night Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,586
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    A lot of people have an interest in spirituality and faith especially when times are tough. Why would they seek out atheistism in down times just be told that life is a big accident, unfair and totally pointless so just suck it up and wait to go back to the dust you came from.
    The fact that atheism offers neither comfort nor solace is one of the reasons why I've embraced it.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •