Hybrid View

1. #1 Trying to Put Lipstick on a Pig (Planned Parenthood) 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s

................"Is like trying to 'shine a sneaker !"

Planned Parenthood is in search of a makeover. For years, the organization has been the biggest abortionist in the business, but as abortion is losing its cachet, Planned Parenthood is trying to reinvent itself. It seems that killing children for cash is just not as fashionable as it used to be. According to Stephanie Simon of the Wall Street Journal, Planned Parenthood wants to "[open] new avenues for boosting revenue and, they hope, political clout." The first step in the organization's redo involves marketing itself to customers in a higher income bracket. Planned Parenthood is building new centers with larger... snip

In its early years Planned Parenthood was directed by Margaret Sanger who advocated for a "right" for women to choose to kill their unborn children. She also promoted a Congressional plan which would, in part, "apply a stern and rigid policy of sterilization and segregation to that grade of population whose progeny is already tainted or whose inheritance is such that objectionable traits may be transmitted to offspring."

Sanger wanted to use reproductive controls to halt the "vicious cycle" of poverty and ignorance. She argued, "There is only one cure for both, and that is to stop breeding these things. Stop bringing to birth children whose inheritance cannot be one of health or intelligence. Stop bringing into the world children whose parents cannot provide for them. Herein lies the key of civilization."

Sanger advocated "choice" as a tool for eugenics. "Only upon a free, self-determining motherhood can rest any unshakable structure of racial betterment." Yet she did not believe that this exalted idea of choice should apply to "the undeniably feeble-minded." In other words, Sanger thought the mentally handicapped should be sterilized by force, people should be sterilized to remove unwanted traits from the populace, and the country should seek racial perfection.

http://townhall.com/columnists/KenCo...stick_on_a_pig

Planned Parenthood has always provided services outside of abortion. They are a place to get birth control (which leads out to less unwanted pregnancies and abortions). Women can get examined there. If they are poor, they might be able to get examined on a sliding scale.

The stuff Sanger said was wrong. Choicer activists today do not agree with her. However, I think historical context needs to be considered. There was an increase of poverty and immigration, and an increase of crime came with that. We also had a problem with Epileptics, handicaps, mentally retarded people, and others being institutionalized. If you had certain problems during the early 20th century, you had no future. You were going to be locked up for the rest of your life. To top it all off, people were ignorant about what caused certain problems. They thought it was always heredity.

The "Progressive" movement was actually trying to find more humane solutions to these problems. We *now* know that these were not good solutions and were dehumanizing.

One thing you learn when you study history is that people considered to be heroes normally do have a dark side. Seriously, name a "hero" in history, and I can probably find something wrong with them.

As an Epileptic and one who works with kids with disabilities, I find Sanger's ideas offensive. But as a woman, I'm happy that she and others laid it on the line for my right not to become a baby machine (because birth control used to be against the law in some areas). She actually went to jail for that.

Women have always had the right to not be baby machines. My grandmother limited her children to one, because they got the son they wanted the first try. My great-grandmother stopped after 4. Neither of them had access or needed the services of Planned Parenthood. Of course, they were both intelligent and self-controlled ladies...something that seems to be rare these days.

The problem with Planned Parenthood isn't that they help women avoid getting pregnant...it's that they go ahead and kill the kids that are conceived despite all their birth control.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

noonwitch
    My college friends preferred to go to Planned Parenthood for birth control and OB/GYN treatment than to the WMU Health Center (or, as we called it, the Death Center). They could get a month's supply of pills for $4, and I think it was $10 at the Health Center. Plus, PP was conveniently located near campus in Kalamazoo, and it is close to MSU's campus in E. Lansing. I took a friend to the one in K-zoo for an abortion once. I had to sit with her during her pre-procedure counseling (before there was the Michigan Law that mandated a 24 hour waiting period). The first question she was asked was "Do you have any reasons why you wouldn't want to go through with an abortion?", and I really think if my friend had said yes, they would have had a very long discussion about all of her options, not just abortion- a few years later, I knew someone who did a social work internship there, who said that's how it was handled. They didn't want a woman to have emotional problems later because she wasn't sure she wanted to go through with it.

Probably every Planned Parenthood office is different-the ones in K-zoo and Lansing did abortions, but the one in Grand Rapids only did birth control.

What it all boils down to is they kill babies. No amount of spin can change that.
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Junebug68 View Post
    What it all boils down to is they kill babies. No amount of spin can change that.
    I hear they eat them afterwards.

Straight from the pits of hell they are, just like all liberals!!

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My college friends preferred to go to Planned Parenthood for birth control and OB/GYN treatment than to the WMU Health Center (or, as we called it, the Death Center). They could get a month's supply of pills for $4, and I think it was $10 at the Health Center. Plus, PP was conveniently located near campus in Kalamazoo, and it is close to MSU's campus in E. Lansing. I took a friend to the one in K-zoo for an abortion once. I had to sit with her during her pre-procedure counseling (before there was the Michigan Law that mandated a 24 hour waiting period). The first question she was asked was "Do you have any reasons why you wouldn't want to go through with an abortion?", and I really think if my friend had said yes, they would have had a very long discussion about all of her options, not just abortion- a few years later, I knew someone who did a social work internship there, who said that's how it was handled. They didn't want a woman to have emotional problems later because she wasn't sure she wanted to go through with it.

Probably every Planned Parenthood office is different-the ones in K-zoo and Lansing did abortions, but the one in Grand Rapids only did birth control.
    Last summer, My wife and I offered to adopt the child of a teenage girl that we knew after we found out that she had scheduled one. She was the younger sister of my wife's coworker. Apparantly, she was pressured to continue with it even after we offered to adopt her child. She also told us that PP had not couseled her that adoption was even an option for her. Our state requires this to occur. However, the city in which this PP is located in a liberal haven. They counseled her on the one choice that they wanted her to make so that they could take in their money. PP is evil.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Plus, PP was conveniently located near campus in Kalamazoo, and it is close to MSU's campus in E. Lansing.
    PP is practically across the street from the Campus health center at Michigan State.

Although it does have the advantage of being near a tattoo parlor, potentially driving more clients.

It's also located almost next door to the comic book shop, but I think that is more coincidence than anything.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    PP is practically across the street from the Campus health center at Michigan State.
    Although it does have the advantage of being near a tattoo parlor, potentially driving more clients.
    The tattoo parlor attracts Michigan State clients or Planned Parenthood clients? I guess college students are attracted to tattoos, but I don't see what the connection with Planned Parenthood would be.

noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post

It's also located almost next door to the comic book shop, but I think that is more coincidence than anything.

Yeah, I'd imagine the comic book store is not exactly providing a lot of business for PP. I don't think most patrons of comic book stores have much sex, and if they do, they aren't the gender that gets pregnant.