Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Muslim women told: For family's sake, commit suicide 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Turkey's crackdown on the practice of honor killing has resulted in unintended consequences – instead of being murdered by a close male relative for bringing dishonor to their families, Muslim women are being pressured to commit suicide.

And the numbers of "honor suicides" are soaring, reported the UK's Independent.

Despite a 2005 change in the nation's penal code requiring a mandatory life sentence for honor killers, the number of women killed by male relatives is at a record level – more than 200 a year, half of all murders committed in Turkey. But it is that change in the law that has given rise to the growing phenomenon of women taking their own lives. Prior to 2005, killers were able to receive reduced sentences by claiming provocation.

Controversial DVD reveals fundamentalist Islamic mob justice in all its ugliness. 'The Stoning of Soraya M' refuses to let such horror go unremembered.

Elif, 18, from Batman in southeast Turkey, was told by her father she must kill herself so he would not be sent to prison for murdering her after she refused an offer of an arranged marriage with an older man.

"I loved my father so much, I was ready to commit suicide for him even though I hadn't done anything wrong," she said. "But I just couldn't go through with it. I love life too much."

The young woman was forced to flee and go into hiding. Her uncles and other relatives have been hunting her for the past eight months, even conducting an armed raid of a women's shelter where she had been.

"I managed to escape," said Elif. "When I was at school, a few girls I knew were killed by their families in the name of honor – one of them for simply receiving a text message from a boy."

In her hometown of Batman – nicknamed "Suicide City" – 75 percent of all suicides are committed now by women.

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=93252

I wonder how many are commiting suicide and how many are, to use DU's verbage, being suicided?

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

These women are being murdered by their families either way. Excuse me but any culture or religion that tells a young woman to commit suicide or kills her outright all in the name of honor is just bullshit. To think there's been a single young woman who has taken her own life to appease some medieval lunacy is total insanity. What kind of father could ask his daughter to do that?
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by AlmostThere View Post
    What kind of father could ask his daughter to do that?
    A muslim one.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    A muslim one.
    That's a pretty big brush, don't ya think?

That's a pretty big brush, don't ya think?
    How many are being asked to kill themselves by Christian fathers? Jewish fathers? Hindu fathers?

How many are being asked to kill themselves by Christian fathers? Jewish fathers? Hindu fathers?
    As we have dicussed in the past, this is cultural and not religious as any father from a culture that supports this behavior would ask this of their daughters, that includes Hindu, Buddhist and Christian fathers from parts of African and Western Asia. You do paint with a big brush when assigning blame strictly to the Muslims for this type of behavior.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

"A Muslim one" makes it sound as though any Muslim father would do as much. That is a broad brush. Killing your daughter in some honor killing or trying to get her to commit suicide is barbaric. Do you really think in America most Muslim fathers, or even half would do that? Even a third? My guess is a much smaller percentage than that. A Muslim one makes it sound like each and every one.

I mean, really, think about it. There must be at least a million Muslim fathers in America. Probably a lot more, but 1 million is an easy number to work with. If we knew that 1/4 would commit an honor killing, that's 250,000 murderers and at least as many victims we should be able to recognize because of their radical behavior. That is, we recognize before they commit the crime. As a society, are we leaving a quarter million women in potentially deadly danger because of something as simple as wearing the wrong clothes. That wouldn't say much about us, now, would it?

"A Muslim one" makes it sound as though any Muslim father would do as much. That is a broad brush. Killing your daughter in some honor killing or trying to get her to commit suicide is barbaric. Do you really think in America most Muslim fathers, or even half would do that? Even a third? My guess is a much smaller percentage than that. A Muslim one makes it sound like each and every one.
    We do have honour killings here in the US you know. :( Look if you want to read it as an attack on all muslims - be my guest - but I think I have made it abundantly clear where I stand on such issues.
    I mean, really, think about it. There must be at least a million Muslim fathers in America. Probably a lot more, but 1 million is an easy number to work with. If we knew that 1/4 would commit an honor killing, that's 250,000 murderers and at least as many victims we should be able to recognize because of their radical behavior. That is, we recognize before they commit the crime. As a society, are we leaving a quarter million women in potentially deadly danger because of something as simple as wearing the wrong clothes. That wouldn't say much about us, now, would it?
    Are you talking about the same society which is hamstrung by political correctness?

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    As we have dicussed in the past, this is cultural and not religious as any father from a culture that supports this behavior would ask this of their daughters, that includes Hindu, Buddhist and Christian fathers from parts of African and Western Asia. You do paint with a big brush when assigning blame strictly to the Muslims for this type of behavior.
    And as I have stated in the past - culture and religion and politics in islamic countries are one and the same with some very rare exceptions. Sorry - but you're going to have to prove a buddhist father would ask such of a daughter. If a Christian father would do it - it would only be because that family is immersed already in islamic culture. And as for the hindu - they wouldn't ask - they'd do it themselves.