Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Need Advice On 912 Project Group 
    I attended the first actual meeting of our local 912 Project group the other night and I came away from it stunned and disappointed over the incredible ignorance of many of the attendees.

I try to educate myself as much as possible (thank you, CU) and judge ideas logically and dispassionately (despite a college education) and I was hoping to learn something. Instead, I spent much of my time attempting to educate the others about conservative principles and that there is much more to a conservative world-view than being against abortion.

So, what do I do? Do I stick with it and try to continue the education process or do I call it a day? We live in a small, rural community where everybody knows everybody else and, quite frankly, I'm not sure I want to be associated with this group if they continue with this one note song. (Abortion IS an important issue, but it's not the ONLY issue.)

My other concern is that they might bring discredit upon what was originally a great idea if they decide to keep channelling Carrie Nation.

Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by Milly View Post
    I attended the first actual meeting of our local 912 Project group the other night and I came away from it stunned and disappointed over the incredible ignorance of many of the attendees.

I try to educate myself as much as possible (thank you, CU) and judge ideas logically and dispassionately (despite a college education) and I was hoping to learn something. Instead, I spent much of my time attempting to educate the others about conservative principles and that there is much more to a conservative world-view than being against abortion.

So, what do I do? Do I stick with it and try to continue the education process or do I call it a day? We live in a small, rural community where everybody knows everybody else and, quite frankly, I'm not sure I want to be associated with this group if they continue with this one note song. (Abortion IS an important issue, but it's not the ONLY issue.)

My other concern is that they might bring discredit upon what was originally a great idea if they decide to keep channelling Carrie Nation.

Any advice?
    It's a lousy job but someone has to do it. Educate them. You'll improve your community in the process.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

I echo Policon's comments. You can never go wrong by attempting to educate others in the truth of things. It's frustrating some times (as many people on CU point out to me when I'm chatting with the atheists and agnostics about Christianity) but it also improves your skills at conceptualizing ideas and articulating them.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

My husband says that my first mistake was expecting all conservatives to be like the folks on CU - thoughtful and capable of rational thought.

I'd never really considered before that there might be knee-jerk conservatives, but I guess there are. It still seems impossible to me to be a conservative without being thoughtful and rational (thus explaining all the liberals under the age of 25, when the frontal lobes finally kick in).

I'll soldier on for a little bit, but I certainly hate being put in the position of being the voice of reason when my inclination is to scream and rend my garments at the thought of what's being done to my country.

Over the past two months I've become practically manic over the changes in this country that we've had to endure. My wife's response to my excitement? She doesn't understand why I'm upset since there is nothing we can do about it. Be thankful your neighbors are engaged enough to get involved if only on a single topic.
    Better to die on your feet than live on your knees.

I am grateful for them, but I fear that the subject of abortion is taking up mental room that could be better used to confront the massive statism that the looney left is ramming down our gullets. Abortion is only part of the problem and they percieve it as the whole problem. They can't see the forest because they're just looking at one of the trees.

We're meeting every week and I'm hoping the last meeting was an anomaly. I'll give it another week.

Quote Originally Posted by Milly View Post
    I am grateful for them, but I fear that the subject of abortion is taking up mental room that could be better used to confront the massive statism that the looney left is ramming down our gullets. Abortion is only part of the problem and they percieve it as the whole problem. They can't see the forest because they're just looking at one of the trees.

We're meeting every week and I'm hoping the last meeting was an anomaly. I'll give it another week.
    You can start by educating me. What's a 912 Project Group?

I think this is a matter of focus: theirs is different than yours. If they have collectively decided to focus on abortion and you want to broaden their scope, that change is not going to happen in the short time span that you're hoping for. They don't see anything more important than the abortion issue and if you try to diffuse that focus, they will probably see that as problematic and you'll end up frustrated. If you're willing to be patient, I bet you could get them concerned about other important issues, but that process could take months if not years.

And you probably could consider that it may be a good thing when a group focuses on one tree instead of the whole forest. Sometimes people spread themselves too thin by trying to track a myriad of issues. If you track the issues that are important to your tree while some other group tracks the issues that affect their tree, there are definitely enough people to focus on each tree in the forest.
    Nothing says "idiot inside" better than an Obama/Biden bumper sticker.

What they need to realize about abortion is that the only way to effect any kind of change on the issue is to change the membership of the SCOTUS - which means we have to change the membership of congress and the presidency as well. So - for the next 4 years they can focus on an issue that cannot be changed with the current sitting president. SO - in the mean time - while abortion is an important issue - people need to be persuaded that big government, government health care, etc are just as bad because they lock that issue in place by making people dependent on a system that is hell bent on protecting access to abortion.

Milly, you will find that you will be educating more and more people. I know how frustrating it is when you talk to people and they haven't a clue what is going on or are so one track minded as the group you described. I, too, live in a small rural community where everybody knows everybody and I have the opportunity to interact with them on a daily basis. There are a few that over the past couple of months have started to see what is going on in the world. I work at educating them everyday. Little by little it is paying off, but in the beginning I thought I was living in another world. When at work I have Fox News on the TV so every customer is exposed to at least some snippet of information from the outside world. Slowly but surely I am developing an audience that is seeking out information and hang around to watch the Beck - Hannity nightly lineup. It opens up conversation.

So don't give up. If you can educate just one person then you have done an awesome job.!
    MAKE NO CONCESSIONS FOR FREEDOM!

Conservative State of America
    http://csa.21publish.com/

Don't Just Talk About It,
    Be About It
    !

I used to share a house with 8 other guys. I used to print out articles from townhall and JWR etc and leave them as bathroom reading. It was the open door to educating 6 out of the 8. 1 didn't need educating - the other one was a dumbass who was hell bent on being a communist.