Thread: Monday Monday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

1. #1 Monday Monday 
    Power CUer
    I'm apparently the designated substitute for day threads. In that crucial but underappreciated role I'll pose this Topic of the Day:

Are you fluent in any other languages? Meaning, into which countries could you be dropped in a rural, non-English speaking area, and be able to get around easily?

For me, France and Germany. I could probably negotiate my way in Italy due to the similarities to French.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I am fluent in Pig Latin. The beauty of that language is extremely underappreciated.

In all seriousness, absolutely not. I'm not even sure how I got by in Mexico. There was a lot of pointing and nodding going on. I did take three semesters of Spanish in college and got an A every time. I only remember the basics now and refuse to learn more on general principle. If I had the patience to learn a foreign language I would choose German.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I only remember the basics now and refuse to learn more on general principle.
    What is the general principle?

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    What is the general principle?
    You don't live in Florida. You wouldn't understand.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Power CUer
    Oh, okay. I was thinking in terms of foreign travel.

It will be in the low 90s today with clear skies. The monsoon has yet to strike. I used that stone finish spray on an ugly half cask that someone had painted brown. I used the "Granite" finish and gave it a clear coat. It turned out amazingly nice. I am in awe of technology since it wasn't artistic talent at work. :)

TOTD: I'd be fine in Sweden or most of the Scandinavian countries (not Finland). Between the Latin and the French I could avoid starvation in a few other places. This isn't a pressing question for me, luckily.

BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I am fluent in Pig Latin. The beauty of that language is extremely underappreciated.

In all seriousness, absolutely not. I'm not even sure how I got by in Mexico. There was a lot of pointing and nodding going on. I did take three semesters of Spanish in college and got an A every time. I only remember the basics now and refuse to learn more on general principle. If I had the patience to learn a foreign language I would choose German.
    Oddly enough, my junior year in high school I got an A in spanish and a D+ in english. My dad saw my report card and said "How the hell do you get a D in your own language?"

needless to say, I told him to "verb my noun". He wasnt happy about that one..

Banned
    Hot, muggy morning in New England as I wend my way into the City. Staying at the Waldorf this week as I was able to get a fairly decent rate and haven't stayed there in years.

TOTD: My French has survived the last few years surprisingly well, as I learned on this last trip. However, despite the fact I took three years of college German, I doubt I would do well in der Rhineland.

I don't see how you can, based on your French, understand Italian. To me, it's totally incomprehensible. When we were last in Venice, even when people were speaking English, I couldn't understand them! :D

Power CUer
    I don't claim conversational ability in Italian. Just that I would be able to read it pretty well and get around fairly reliably.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Hot, muggy morning in New England as I wend my way into the City. Staying at the Waldorf this week as I was able to get a fairly decent rate and haven't stayed there in years.

TOTD: My French has survived the last few years surprisingly well, as I learned on this last trip. However, despite the fact I took three years of college German, I doubt I would do well in der Rhineland.

I don't see how you can, based on your French, understand Italian. To me, it's totally incomprehensible. When we were last in Venice, even when people were speaking English, I couldn't understand them! :D
    Italian is easy.Just shrug your shoulders and wave your hands a lot !While skiing in northern Italy the Germans think that the Italians are after their young daughters and wives.The French complaining of the wine,food and fat Italian woman are the ones that really are after the German daughters .The older Italian men sit together in the sun,drinking their wine,eating their pasta,puffing on their Pedroni's and laughing at the stupid tourist and skiers arguing endlessly about everything !