Thread: Monday Monday

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BSR
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I am fluent in Pig Latin. The beauty of that language is extremely underappreciated.

In all seriousness, absolutely not. I'm not even sure how I got by in Mexico. There was a lot of pointing and nodding going on. I did take three semesters of Spanish in college and got an A every time. I only remember the basics now and refuse to learn more on general principle. If I had the patience to learn a foreign language I would choose German.
    Oddly enough, my junior year in high school I got an A in spanish and a D+ in english. My dad saw my report card and said "How the hell do you get a D in your own language?"

needless to say, I told him to "verb my noun". He wasnt happy about that one..

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Who took languages in high school? I had to have two of them in school, but I think the requirement has unfortunately died out. I had four years of Latin, one of Greek, and four of French.
    I did. My college required 2 or 3 years of high school language studies. If you passed their test in whatever language you used to meet the requirement, you could then start a new language as a freshman, otherwise you had to take what amounted to remedial whatever until you could show proficiency. They dropped that requirement while I was still there.

Math, music, and language have all fallen by the wayside in the public schools. They are all related in terms of brain skills and they are all difficult for most students so it's easier to just drop them.

You can drop me into Alabama and I can speak clearly with the natives, even their slang. In New York and other places inhabited by Damn Yankees, it's more difficult, but I can get by.

When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Nave.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.

Power CUer
    I went to a pretty rigorous prep school in New England. At the time, I expect a lot of public schools did not offer Latin or Greek any more.

I went to a pretty rigorous prep school in New England. At the time, I expect a lot of public schools did not offer Latin or Greek any more.
    My public high school offered Latin, French, German and Spanish. I took Spanish for 2 years, then had 2 additional years as a requirement for graduation at my university. Seven years in San Antonio helped more with my Spanish language skills than the academic courses.

My grandmother and great aunts spoke German and French fluently. I think I picked up the languages subconsciously, as somehow I understood German enough when touring there that I could get by with a vague comprehension of what they were saying.

Banned
    My public high school offered French, Spanish, German, Latin, and Russian. I took 1 year of Latin and 4 years of French. At university, I had three years of German, 1 of Latin, 1 of Greek, 1 of Old English, and 2 of Old Norse.

Not fluent in anything, but I speak some Spanish and German. But when I try to say something in Spanish and I don't know the word I accidentally throw a german word in by accident. I can also say "Hi my name is _______" and "my, what a beautiful teapot" in Russian :D
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

I can say "DON'T TASE ME, BRO" if four languages. :D

When I was a kid, we were the United States of America, Land of the Free and Home of the Brave. Now, we're America, Land of the Sheep and Home of the Nave.

Live each day as if you're going to die tomorrow. Learn each day as if you'll live forever.

TOTD: Not really. I know a little Spanish and some German from high school. The Pig Latin stuff that Shannon and Tristan can do drives me crazy. I refuse to even try it...
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    I have found that being fluent in white trash has served me well and I can converse easily with people from any state. In fact, if necessary, I stand by on ready to translate any of Shannon's posts to english.
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.