Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Chili left out for over 6 hours... still edible? 
    I made chilly last night. Took a few hours. Today my roommate left it on the stove for about 6 and a half hours >_<

My question is.. is it still edible? I don't have anything else to eat and I don't want something that could have lasted another couple days to go to waste. If it matters, what was in it was onions, ground beef, kidney beans, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, peppers, and chillies. What do you all think? I'm hungry!! :(

Oh, and it was covered.
    I'll add something signature worthy later...

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post
    I made chilly last night. Took a few hours. Today my roommate left it on the stove for about 6 and a half hours >_<

My question is.. is it still edible? I don't have anything else to eat and I don't want something that could have lasted another couple days to go to waste. If it matters, what was in it was onions, ground beef, kidney beans, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce, peppers, and chillies. What do you all think? I'm hungry!! :(

Oh, and it was covered.
    You may have a touch of Montezuma's revenge but a botulism could have grown.Chances are you will just have a slight case of the blithering s*its !

Everything cooked already. Just heat it up to boiling for a couple of minutes on the stove (not the microwave) and you'll be fine. People are more afraid of food than they need to be (and they are a lot less hygienic than they should be).

You don't want to "sterilize" it in the microwave because food heats too unevenly there. You could have small pockets of non-boiling. Five minutes at a rapid boil and whatever may have tried to grow there will be history.

Just in case though can I have your Wii if it goes badly?

:D

Real men eat chili that's been out for days on the open trail. FIRE is the key.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    Just in case though can I have your Wii if it goes badly?

:D
    Somebody already got his avatar.
    Liberals! The real fascists.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Meat Cutter. I get asked all the time questions on food being good or not. I tell them all basically the same rules.

1. If it looks funny, throw it out.

2. If it smells funny, throw it out.

3. If it feels slimy, throw it out.

And most of all, the #1 rule to obey above all others.

If in doubt, throw it out. Its just not worth risking getting sick.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    Meat Cutter. I get asked all the time questions on food being good or not. I tell them all basically the same rules.

1. If it looks funny, throw it out.

2. If it smells funny, throw it out.

3. If it feels slimy, throw it out.

And most of all, the #1 rule to obey above all others.

If in doubt, throw it out. Its just not worth risking getting sick.
    It's chili. It already looks funny, smells funny and feels slimy. Better living through chemistry is my advice and fire is the obvious solution in this case. :D

Seriously though, you're right on point. And the reverse is also true: if it doesn't look funny, smell funny, or form slime - it's probably okay no matter what the 'best buy' date says. People are too quick to toss out perfectly good food these days. I have a girlfriend who routinely dumps meat if it turns brown in her fridge.

That's oxygen at work, people! Your hamburger is still street-legal even if it isn't rosy red.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It's chili. It already looks funny, smells funny and feels slimy. Better living through chemistry is my advice and fire is the obvious solution in this case. :D

Seriously though, you're right on point. And the reverse is also true: if it doesn't look funny, smell funny, or form slime - it's probably okay no matter what the 'best buy' date says. People are too quick to toss out perfectly good food these days. I have a girlfriend who routinely dumps meat if it turns brown in her fridge.

That's oxygen at work, people! Your hamburger is still street-legal even if it isn't rosy red.
    There's a term for that, and you may wish to show your friend this.

http://www.askthemeatman.com/dry_aged_beef.htm

Aged Beef, its an old fashioned way of preserving meat. Today people still do it to add flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyne View Post

Oh, and it was covered.
    Too risky, throw it out.

It might of been in the tempature danger zone too long.