Thread: WALL-E. Review.

1. #1 WALL-E. Review. 
    WALL-E is a Pixar film that takes a look at hard science fiction, robots, consumerism, hopeless romance, and the charmingly old fashioned notion of the "can-do" spirit.

Set in the future, WALL-E opens as we follow the title character on his daily rounds. WALL-E's sole purpose in life is to gather, compact, and stack the enormous piles of trash that now cover the surface of Earth. All the humans have fled into space and live aboard what amounts to a giant cruise ship. WALL-E labors on alone to repair the damage.

Eventually a probe is sent to Earth to search for plant life. This probe is EVE, a sleek, dangerous, and single-minded robot. WALL-E falls hopelessly with his much higher tech counterpart. When EVE does find a plant (courtesy of WALL-E) the two robots embark on fast paced adventure aboard the human ship.

By this point in time, the humans aboard have become giant babies. They are carried everywhere in floating chairs, have every whim fulfilled, and spend all their time interacting with each other via view screens. As WALL-E and EVA try desperately to inform the captain of their find, they accidentally wake-up some of the humans who begin to see that there is more to life than just living.

But not everyone is unhappy with the status quo and WALL-E and EVA find that they must overcome some old school programming in their quest. With the help of other robots and an a captain who has the courage to defy the business as usual mindset, WALL-E, EVE and all the humans find a new purpose in life.

Of course, true love is affirmed, friendship is celebrated, and "no pain, no gain" becomes the order of the day.

Although there has been some chatter that movie dumps on capitalism or pushes some kind of outrageous environmental agenda, I'd didn't find that to be true. It's funny, heroic, dark, and whimsical all at once. You'll like it.

Who's it for: all ages. There is no profanity, drug use, sex, or gory violence.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    It looks just like Johnny 5. I won't ever be able to get past that.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    WALL-E is a Pixar film that takes a look at hard science fiction, robots, consumerism, hopeless romance, and the charmingly old fashioned notion of the "can-do" spirit.

Set in the future, WALL-E opens as we follow the title character on his daily rounds. WALL-E's sole purpose in life is to gather, compact, and stack the enormous piles of trash that now cover the surface of Earth. All the humans have fled into space and live aboard what amounts to a giant cruise ship. WALL-E labors on alone to repair the damage.

Eventually a probe is sent to Earth to search for plant life. This probe is EVE, a sleek, dangerous, and single-minded robot. WALL-E falls hopelessly with his much higher tech counterpart. When EVE does find a plant (courtesy of WALL-E) the two robots embark on fast paced adventure aboard the human ship.

By this point in time, the humans aboard have become giant babies. They are carried everywhere in floating chairs, have every whim fulfilled, and spend all their time interacting with each other via view screens. As WALL-E and EVA try desperately to inform the captain of their find, they accidentally wake-up some of the humans who begin to see that there is more to life than just living.

But not everyone is unhappy with the status quo and WALL-E and EVA find that they must overcome some old school programming in their quest. With the help of other robots and an a captain who has the courage to defy the business as usual mindset, WALL-E, EVE and all the humans find a new purpose in life.

Of course, true love is affirmed, friendship is celebrated, and "no pain, no gain" becomes the order of the day.

Although there has been some chatter that movie dumps on capitalism or pushes some kind of outrageous environmental agenda, I'd didn't find that to be true. It's funny, heroic, dark, and whimsical all at once. You'll like it.

Who's it for: all ages. There is no profanity, drug use, sex, or gory violence.

What no futuristic gay sex among the robots ? I have high hopes for Pixar and if they can stay for away from the Liberal/PC crap they should begin to revolutionize the world of onscreen entertainment !I have a hard time believing that Jobs had any part in this enterprise !Lucas, who developed Pixar as the computer-graphics arm of his own filmmaking operation, decided to cut it loose before the division had revealed its true promise.What a dumb shit he is.History will prove that was a bad and expensive decision anthough he may still have shares in the company !

This is a good example of just how creative these people are !
    PIXAR - Lifted (origina sound), http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neWDRrBEQ_M(original
    Pixar- i will survive http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duOoqDu2H70
    Pixar - For The Birds 2000 Short Film http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...=&aq=1&oq=pixt

...In retrospect, it's easy to mistake Pixar's success as savvy planning on the part of Lasseter ("talented artist"), Catmull ("creative scientist") and Jobs ("visionary entrepreneur"), but the docu goes a long way to remind just how remarkable the meeting of these three minds proved. its true promise.
    Last edited by megimoo; 06-30-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    It looks just like Johnny 5. I won't ever be able to get past that.:p
    I was thinking that as well. E.T., too.

Megimoo, I think Pixar already has revolutionized the entertainment industry, at least in terms of children's entertainment. The success of their movies led to the rise in popularity of computer- animated movies from Disney, Dreamworks, etc., plus they proved that it is possible for a film company to constantly make progressively good films (Even 'Cars,' which was regarded as probably Pixar's worst film, made a fortune in the box office and is still pretty well- liked among most people).
    I liked 'Wall- E,' too. I didn't feel like it was really pushing an environmental message that much, for two reasons I can think of:
    1. First and foremost, I remember recently reading an interview with one of the main people involved in the making of the movie (I forget if he was its director or what), in which he specifically said that was not his intent when making the movie.
    2. The way I see it, if 'Wall- E' was really trying to push an environmental message, the damage to the Earth in the movie would probably be more along the lines of air pollution and global warming and things like that, as an effort to jump on the Climate Change bandwagon. As is, it appears that the main source of pollution seen in 'Wall- E' was more from pollution of the earth itself, in the form of all the garbage that had accumulated (That was, after all, what the 'Wall- E' robot was programmed to clean up).

Anyway, again I really liked the movie. It was funny and exciting, and the actual character 'Wall- E' was probably one of the most likable characters Pixar has ever created.

Patent Member
    Funny and very entertaining. My wife said she almost cried near the end.

The character Wall-E is awesome. The opening short clip was very good too. Arguably funnier than the movie.

Power CUer
    I might see it eventually; I like some animated things, not others. "Ratatouille" was supposed to be brilliant, but I couldn't get past the vermin in restaurants doing food preparation.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I might see it eventually; I like some animated things, not others. "Ratatouille" was supposed to be brilliant, but I couldn't get past the vermin in restaurants doing food preparation.
    I think you will like this one. It's a bit darker than most Pixar efforts. It's really amazing how well the entire plot moves along without any real dialog between WALL-E and EVE. Those cartoon characters put in an acting performance that was better 99% of human actors I've seen in the last few years.