1. #1 Babies Are Just Like Rapists 
    Babies Are Just Like Rapists

Cornell Law Professor Sherry Colb writing for FindLaw Magazine writes a ghastly piece on abortion.

She's writing about the case where a woman attempted to procure a late term abortion but the abortionist wasn't on time and the baby was born alive gasping for breath, only to be thrown into a plastic bag and killed.

Now, Colb doesn't exactly excuse the abortionist's actions but examines them and seeks to codify them. But the language used is, I'm sure, unintentionally ghastly and cold. Reading her column sent chills up my spine.

Here's Colb's writing on the issue:

One might argue, as some pro-life advocates have, that there is no meaningful difference between what Gonzalez did and what an abortion provider does, because in both cases, a fetus is killed. This argument, however, ignores one of the main premises of the right to abortion – the bodily-integrity interest of the pregnant woman. Particularly at the later stages of pregnancy, the right to abortion does not protect an interest in killing a fetus as such. What it protects instead is the woman's interest in not being physically, internally occupied by another creature against her will, the same interest that explains the right to use deadly force, if necessary, to stop a rapist. Though the fetus is innocent of any intentional wrongdoing and the rapist is not, the woman's interest in repelling an unwanted physical intrusion is quite similar.
    Yeah. That's right. In her little metaphor the baby is a rapist.

But of course that doesn't make sense because the woman likely became pregnant through an act of her own will whereas a rape takes place against a woman's will.

Now, to be fair, Colb argues that the treatment of the "creature" as she calls the baby should be investigated as homicide (which it isn't for some crazy reason.)

In fact, Colb encourages that even non-viable fetuses who are born accidentally should be treated well. Get this one:

When a nonviable fetus completely emerges from the womb alive, writhing, and gasping for breath, the right thing to do is – at the very least – to comfort the creature until it expires or to contact someone else who will.

That's right. Contact someone who will. From the abortion clinic you should call a friend and say "Hey buddy, I just tried killing my baby but the creature was born anyway. I'm pretty sure it'll expire soon so could you come on down here and hug the thing until it dies. Cool?"

But why is she even so concerned with being merciful to the baby that she's allowing to be killed? It makes no sense to me. Because the baby emerged from a woman's womb it's not OK to kill it then but moments before it's fair game.

In the end, Colb blames guess who for late term abortions. Come on make a guess. That's right pro-lifers. I'm not kidding. Because pro-lifers are asking for things like parental consent they make it more difficult to procure early abortions so pro-lifers make late term abortions more likely.

Well, just file this one under the ever expanding file of Ivy League Lunacy. And these are the elites of our culture. No wonder we're in such trouble.
    Words fail.

Creative Minority

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Words fail.

Creative Minority

While the right to abortion may not itself be a direct right to procure the fetus's death, but only a right to terminate a pregnancy, the woman who seeks an abortion – the customer of the clinic – likely thinks of the two events in concert and wishes for both (rather than just one or the other of the two) to occur.

Gonzalez might therefore have believed that an abortion truly consists of two distinct, equally essential acts – the act of killing the fetus and the act of removing the fetus and the pregnancy from the woman's body.

If Gonzalez was mistaken, as the best account of the law would suggest she was, then why does the abortion right include in-utero, active killing of the fetus? That is, if the only true interest of the woman is in ending her state of being unwillingly occupied (with all the pain, discomfort, and risk that pregnancy entails), then why don't all protected abortions consist exclusively of labor inductions? Why not simply remove the fetus from the woman's body by inducing labor, in other words, rather than by dismembering or otherwise destroying the fetus before it is removed?

One answer to this question is that as long as the fetus is inside the woman's body, the woman has an interest in accomplishing expulsion in a manner that does not itself threaten her with physical injury. As Williams described it, her labor and delivery of the fetus were extremely painful. To avoid the intense pain and health consequences of abortion-by-induction, she -- like any other woman in her circumstances -- was entitled to have her provider utilize a method that was safer for her, even though it would involve directly killing the fetus.
    If the fetus exited the womb alive but was destined to die very soon, we might consider the fetus as someone who is in the process of dying
    Might? We MIGHT?? Sherry Colb is one sick, sick (female dog.) :mad::mad:
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    :eek:
    oh please, not in the wildest stretch of imagination could someone sane find an analogy there.

Life sucking leech yes, rapist? no
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

This is the kind of thought that gets bred when the feminist moves so far to the left as to no longer be recognizible compared it its original stance. This is the Gloria Allred mentality taken to the extreme.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

It was an offensive analogy, but the point is that in both cases, the woman is having something done with her body she doesn't want.

It is a really offensive analogy though, especially to women who have been raped.

Wanted to add that late term abortions really are not done on demand. I know pro-life groups want you to think that, but they're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    It was an offensive analogy, but the point is that in both cases, the woman is having something done with her body she doesn't want.

It is a really offensive analogy though, especially to women who have been raped.

Wanted to add that late term abortions really are not done on demand. I know pro-life groups want you to think that, but they're not.
    Just a few facts. Hopefully, you aren't still too liberal to read facts and understand that you've been lied to.

Late Abortion Care
    Elective

http://www.drtiller.com/elect.html

Abortion Counseling & Consultation | Procedure

At Women's Health Care Services, we specialize in "late" abortion care. We are able to perform elective abortions to the time in the pregnancy when the fetus is viable. Viability is not a set point in time. Viability is determined by the attending physician and is based on sonogram results, physical examination and last menstrual period date (if known). Our telephone counselors will ask you a number of medical questions to determine if you are eligible for an elective abortion. If you have visited another clinic or physician, we will ask for the results from a recent ultrasound.

Kansas law allows for post-viability abortion procedures when continuing the pregnancy is detrimental to the pregnant woman's health. Each person's circumstances are reviewed on a case-by-base basis. Please call so that we can discuss admission criteria with you.
    Selected Induced Abortion Statistics
    Kansas, 2006

http://www.kdheks.gov/hci/abortion_sum/06itop1.pdf

Weeks Gestation:
    Less than 9 weeks........7,078 .... 63.2%
    9-12 weeks................ 2,533 ....22.6%
    13-16 weeks................820 ....7.3%
    17-21 weeks.................393 ....3.5%
    22 weeks & over..............380 ....3.4%

Method of Abortion

Digoxin/Induction...........372 ....3.3%
    At Women's Health Care Services, our Fetal Indication Termination of Pregnancy program involves managing the pregnancy by the premature delivery of a stillborn. During this process, we will try to duplicate the natural, safe, and reliable process that nature has developed. Your cervix will be opened over a one to four day period with repeated insertions of sponge-like sticks (laminaria). When your cervix is opened adequately, labor will be induced with naturally occurring hormones, and you will have your delivery under "twilight" sedation. With twilight anesthesia for the labor and delivery most patients do not remember much about the process. Generous amounts of medication are administered during the labor to relieve discomfort. On the first day of the process, an injection of a medication is made into the baby to assure that it will be stillborn and will not experience any discomfort during the procedure. After the delivery, all patients receive a D&C and are usually able to travel the next morning.
    Digoxin causes the heart to beat harder. A fatal dose of digoxin causes the heart muscle to contract hard enough to tear...the heart literally rips itself apart.

Tiller just won a court case about his late-term abortions. He has a doctor who "does not work for him," but does no work except the referrals he needs for his abortions. On the witness stand, she made it quite clear that mental health is a sufficient reason for her to make the referral. In plain words, late term abortions on demand.
    Last edited by MrsSmith; 04-04-2009 at 05:06 PM.
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.