Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 29
  1. #1 Pitchforks and Pistols By CHARLES M. BLOW 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Lately I’ve been consuming as much conservative media as possible (interspersed with shots of Pepto-Bismol) to get a better sense of the mind and mood of the right. My read: They’re apocalyptic. They feel isolated, angry, betrayed and besieged. And some of their “leaders” seem to be trying to mold them into militias.

    At first, it was entertaining — just harmless, hotheaded expostulation. Of course, there were the garbled facts, twisted logic and veiled hate speech. But what did I expect, fair and balanced? It was like walking through an ideological house of mirrors. The distortions can be mildly amusing at first, but if I stay too long it makes me sick.

    But, it’s not all just harmless talk. For some, their disaffection has hardened into something more dark and dangerous. They’re talking about a revolution.

    Some simply lace their unscrupulous screeds with loaded language about the fall of the Republic. We have to “rise up” and “take back our country.” Others have been much more explicit.

    For example, Chuck Norris, the preeminent black belt and prospective Red Shirt, wrote earlier this month on the conservative blog WorldNetDaily: “How much more will Americans take? When will enough be enough? And, when that time comes, will our leaders finally listen or will history need to record a second American Revolution?”

    Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota, imagining herself as some sort of Delacroixian Liberty from the Land of the Lakes, urged her fellow Minnesotans to be “armed and dangerous,” ready to bust caps over cap-and-trade, I presume.

    And between his tears, Glenn Beck, the self-professed “rodeo clown,” keeps warning of an impending insurrection by saying that he believes that we are heading for “depression” and “revolution” and then gaming out that revolution on his show last month. “Think the unthinkable” he said. Indeed.

    All this talk of revolution is revolting, and it hasn’t gone unnoticed.

    As the comedian Bill Maher pointed out, strong language can poison weak minds, as it did in the case of Timothy McVeigh. (We sometimes forget that not all dangerous men are trained by Al Qaeda.)

    At the same time, the unrelenting meme being pushed by the right that Obama will mount an assault on the Second Amendment has helped fuel the panic buying of firearms. According to the F.B.I., there have been 1.2 million more requests for background checks of potential gun buyers from November to February than there were in the same four months last year. That’s 5.5 million requests altogether over that period; more than the number of people living in Bachmann’s Minnesota.



    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/04/op...blow.html?_r=1
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    LTC Member Odysseus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FT Belvoir, VA
    Posts
    15,638
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Lately I’ve been consuming as much conservative media as possible (interspersed with shots of Pepto-Bismol) to get a better sense of the mind and mood of the right. My read: They’re apocalyptic. They feel isolated, angry, betrayed and besieged. And some of their “leaders” seem to be trying to mold them into militias.

    At first, it was entertaining — just harmless, hotheaded expostulation. Of course, there were the garbled facts, twisted logic and veiled hate speech. But what did I expect, fair and balanced? It was like walking through an ideological house of mirrors. The distortions can be mildly amusing at first, but if I stay too long it makes me sick.

    But, it’s not all just harmless talk. For some, their disaffection has hardened into something more dark and dangerous. They’re talking about a revolution.

    Some simply lace their unscrupulous screeds with loaded language about the fall of the Republic. We have to “rise up” and “take back our country.” Others have been much more explicit.

    For example, Chuck Norris, the preeminent black belt and prospective Red Shirt, wrote earlier this month on the conservative blog WorldNetDaily: “How much more will Americans take? When will enough be enough? And, when that time comes, will our leaders finally listen or will history need to record a second American Revolution?”

    Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota, imagining herself as some sort of Delacroixian Liberty from the Land of the Lakes, urged her fellow Minnesotans to be “armed and dangerous,” ready to bust caps over cap-and-trade, I presume.

    And between his tears, Glenn Beck, the self-professed “rodeo clown,” keeps warning of an impending insurrection by saying that he believes that we are heading for “depression” and “revolution” and then gaming out that revolution on his show last month. “Think the unthinkable” he said. Indeed.

    All this talk of revolution is revolting, and it hasn’t gone unnoticed.

    As the comedian Bill Maher pointed out, strong language can poison weak minds, as it did in the case of Timothy McVeigh. (We sometimes forget that not all dangerous men are trained by Al Qaeda.)

    At the same time, the unrelenting meme being pushed by the right that Obama will mount an assault on the Second Amendment has helped fuel the panic buying of firearms. According to the F.B.I., there have been 1.2 million more requests for background checks of potential gun buyers from November to February than there were in the same four months last year. That’s 5.5 million requests altogether over that period; more than the number of people living in Bachmann’s Minnesota.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/04/op...blow.html?_r=1
    Sounds like the writer is trying to justify a crackdown on dissent. Fortunately, it's not like anybody still read the NY Times.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

    Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member ironhorsedriver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Coal Fields of WV
    Posts
    508
    Congresswoman Bachman should not be labeled an extremist. She appears to be one of the rational thinking heads in Congress. Norris can be a little extreme, but does care and is getting the word out to the citizens. Glen Beck, well, Glen is Glen. But, he is passionate about his beliefs. He does make some very valid points. And he is no more extreme than a great many Liberal and Socialist commentators.
    With Obama refusing Bank paybacks, to maintain control over them. His acceptance of Socialist and Extremist countries. His dumping on our closest allies and his on going march to socialism. We need more people willing to stand up and tell the American people what is happining.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Sounds like the writer is trying to justify a crackdown on dissent. Fortunately, it's not like anybody still read the NY Times.
    They are starting to fear an uprising of the people and are watching very closely.Their new Acorn style police force isn't ready yet and the don't trust the military so they watch.Any local 'brush fires' of patriotism makes them very nervous and a major local uprising would force their hands !They do expect trouble especially from the South !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    11,970
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    They are starting to fear an uprising of the people and are watching very closely.Their new Acorn style police force isn't ready yet and the don't trust the military so they watch.Any local 'brush fires' of patriotism makes them very nervous and a major local uprising would force their hands !They do expect trouble especially from the South !
    We are having a tea party on the capital steps in Baton Rouge on the 15th of this month. Never been to a political rally or demonstration. This will be a first for me.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    We are having a tea party on the capital steps in Baton Rouge on the 15th of this month. Never been to a political rally or demonstration. This will be a first for me.
    A nice little 'tea party' is one thing .I was thinking along the lines of something that the likes of Sam Adams or James Otis would pull !We have ample historical justification for a meeting of grievance to protest this lopsided government and its unlawful actions.

    When the Obama 'Peace Police' are organized we will be no doubt be required to 'put they up' as in give them quarters so as to relieve the economic burden from distraction on Obama's Great New Society !The new 'Quartering Act' of 2009 !

    http://www.mass.gov/?pageID=aftermin...tion&csid=Eoaf
    Last edited by megimoo; 04-05-2009 at 03:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member THE RESISTANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    PATRIOT RESISTANCE, SAMUEL ADAMS HEADQUARTERS
    Posts
    115
    Sam Adams would have Ebeneser MacIntosh and his "fight club "out making lifes miserable and tearing down houses.

    A new Revolution? I don't believe that the first one was finished by the way this nation libertys under individual rights by the originators of our liberties believes in life, liberty, and property.
    The guilt does not lie only in the Democratic party but also with the Republican Party for they both are driving us down the wrong road . It does not matter who the drivers are and whether we drive down the left side or the right side it is still the wrong road.

    These authors of our freedoms , these originators of our libertys, the founders would only be thinking
    " Why has it taken so long for the people to rise up, resist the nations direction and the tyrannys of bigger more intrusive tax and taking governments from local , state, and Federal ?"


    Though I prefer the path of Franklin. Eventually he was left with no other option but to fully support the actions that lead to the Revolution.

    The nations needs a transfusion to awaken that long sleeping gene in its DNA the Revolutionary one.


    Treason to our framework is what we are living under from governments. If actions must be taken to defeat it then We must make the most of them.
    "When governments boot is on your throat, whether it is the left boot or the right boot is of little consequence." Gary Lloyd

    "The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resist it." John Hay

    " As governments grinds us on towards Tyranny in each Intolerable Act, Tea Party members the winds of LIBERTY is the howl in your ears, echoing to the depths of your soul, MARCH IN THE STREETS! RALLY FOR LIBERTY! REBEL!" J Richard Gosnell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    HR Corporate Scum patriot45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    10,931
    Quote Originally Posted by THE RESISTANCE View Post
    Sam Adams would have Ebeneser MacIntosh and his "fight club "out making lifes miserable and tearing down houses.

    A new Revolution? I don't believe that the first one was finished by the way this nation libertys under individual rights by the originators of our liberties believes in life, liberty, and property.
    The guilt does not lie only in the Democratic party but also with the Republican Party for they both are driving us down the wrong road . It does not matter who the drivers are and whether we drive down the left side or the right side it is still the wrong road.

    These authors of our freedoms , these originators of our libertys, the founders would only be thinking
    " Why has it taken so long for the people to rise up, resist the nations direction and the tyrannys of bigger more intrusive tax and taking governments from local , state, and Federal ?"


    Though I prefer the path of Franklin. Eventually he was left with no other option but to fully support the actions that lead to the Revolution.

    The nations needs a transfusion to awaken that long sleeping gene in its DNA the Revolutionary one.


    Treason to our framework is what we are living under from governments. If actions must be taken to defeat it then We must make the most of them.
    It would never start without some voices, major voices. Who can anyone rally around? Newt? not good enuf. We need us an Orator to stir emotions!
    Maybe not a one man crew, maybe something like Chuck Norriis, combined with Ted Nugent + Charlie DAniels mixed in with an actual politician that can convey our message! But who would that be?

    : “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member THE RESISTANCE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    PATRIOT RESISTANCE, SAMUEL ADAMS HEADQUARTERS
    Posts
    115
    What is needed is some that have hypnotic powers of speech, sharply speaking clear as a perfect bell.

    That can burn your minds, light fires in hearts ,and when they have finished speaking as Patrick Henry, the audience are both spell bound and ready for action.
    Changes in terminalogy is essential to say things in a away that is the same as he founders but in terms identified with today or different with the same meaning. It must be a modern attack with the principles intact and potent.

    People that have the passion in their believes and resolve and awaken it in the people.

    The search must begin now!! Time is grows short.
    "When governments boot is on your throat, whether it is the left boot or the right boot is of little consequence." Gary Lloyd

    "The evils of tyranny are rarely seen but by him who resist it." John Hay

    " As governments grinds us on towards Tyranny in each Intolerable Act, Tea Party members the winds of LIBERTY is the howl in your ears, echoing to the depths of your soul, MARCH IN THE STREETS! RALLY FOR LIBERTY! REBEL!" J Richard Gosnell
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    HR Corporate Scum patriot45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    10,931
    Quote Originally Posted by THE RESISTANCE View Post
    What is needed is some that have hypnotic powers of speech, sharply speaking clear as a perfect bell.

    That can burn your minds, light fires in hearts ,and when they have finished speaking as Patrick Henry, the audience are both spell bound and ready for action.
    Changes in terminalogy is essential to say things in a away that is the same as he founders but in terms identified with today or different with the same meaning. It must be a modern attack with the principles intact and potent.

    People that have the passion in their believes and resolve and awaken it in the people.

    The search must begin now!! Time is grows short.
    C'mon mouth, tell us who we should fall behind. You have a pretty good rhetoric! You wanna lead?

    : “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •