1. #1 Obama's Southern Strategy takes a hit 
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Goldwater
    Even if the black vote came out in full force, I don't see it happening much...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    Even if the black vote came out in full force, I don't see it happening much...
    Obama thinks he has a shot in SC, VA & MS.; he will get trounced in the South. Like one Repub. politician stated "we like for him to spend a great deal of money here, it's good for our economy."

Power CUer
    He has more than just a shot in Virginia, which has changed considerably in recent years. I think he'll win in Virginia.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    He has more than just a shot in Virginia, which has changed considerably in recent years. I think he'll win in Virginia.
    I am banking on the southern vote to overcome the northern elitist liberal voters for a McCain win in VA.

Power CUer
    Northern Virginia elected Doug Wilder as the first black governor of Virginia several years ago. Northern Virginia is the part of the state that voted for Jim Webb over George Allen. I dunno about your banking....

noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Obama thinks he has a shot in SC, VA & MS.; he will get trounced in the South. Like one Repub. politician stated "we like for him to spend a great deal of money here, it's good for our economy."
    Like Linda, I think he has more than a good chance in VA. I really don't think he has a prayer in SC or MS, and if McCain picks Romney as his running mate, Obama will not be able to take Michigan for granted.

If all the Obama bumperstickers I'm seeing all over Northern Virginia are any indicator, Obama wins Arlington, Alexandria, and Fairfax County by a bigger margin than either Kerry or Webb. NOVA's demographics is a perfect fit for Obama with college-educated young professionals, upscale suburban liberals, and a substantial foreign-born population. Combine that with the blacks in Richmond and in the Tidewater area, VA is the only southern state that can potentially go to Obama.

noonwitch
    Quote Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
    If all the Obama bumperstickers I'm seeing all over Northern Virginia are any indicator, Obama wins Arlington, Alexandria, and Fairfax County by a bigger margin than either Kerry or Webb. NOVA's demographics is a perfect fit for Obama with college-educated young professionals, upscale suburban liberals, and a substantial foreign-born population. Combine that with the blacks in Richmond and in the Tidewater area, VA is the only southern state that can potentially go to Obama.

Florida could, depending on the senior vote. Miami and Tampa, plus enought senior votes could win it for him. My dad was a Hillary supporter in the Florida primary, I'm not sure who he's going to support in the general. He used to be a pretty solid republican, until this Bush came along-he said Jeb should have run for president, not W.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Florida could, depending on the senior vote. Miami and Tampa, plus enought senior votes could win it for him. My dad was a Hillary supporter in the Florida primary, I'm not sure who he's going to support in the general. He used to be a pretty solid republican, until this Bush came along-he said Jeb should have run for president, not W.

Sooooo, now we know who painted the city vehicles in Orlando. Good job.;)
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad