Hybrid View

1. #1 1st ribs on the grill this year!! 
    Ok, Ginger and Gator, this aint the smokers bible or anything, this is just good grillin!

Rub the ribs with your fav rub - mine happens to be Grillmasters pork rub.
    Refridge overnite.
    Soak some hickory chunks in water for 1/2 hour, wrap in tin foil packet
    Pre-heat grill to 250, burners one side only.
    Set the packet of hickory over the lit burners and the ribs on the unlit side.

Cook for 3 hours, after 1.5 hours turn the ribs around.
    I like to spritz them with a spray bottle with pineapple juice mixed with beef broth, keeps them moist.

You cannot buy ribs this good!

Rubbed and on the grill

Tip for Gator, when the bones start sticking out, they are done!

Heaven

I'm in Heaven!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

gator
    It is hard to mess ribs up but putting them on a gas grill like that is a good way to start.

Gas is a hot dry heat that is not very good for cooking most meats. It dries meat out very easily. That is the reason real BBQ is usually cooked another way.

If you want to use a gas grill for ribs the best thing to do is wrap them in foil and cook them in the oven over low heat for a couple of hours. Then put them on the grill to sear them. They will be more juciy and tender than cooking them on the grill the entire time.

By the way, I had shrimp and grits for supper tonight. I didn't take any pictures but I used this recipe. I used bacon instead of ham and Florida shrimp and this a great supper. I used the high calorie recipe this time because I wanted to see what the recipe tasted like.. The next time I will cut down on the fat. For instance I will use 2% cheese and fat free half and half instead of heavy cream.

Ingredients

Shrimp:
    1 1/2 pounds (26-30 count) Wild Georgia Shrimp
    2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (recommended: Tone's Louisiana Cajun seasoning)
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
    Freshly ground black pepper

Grits:
    2 cups water
    2 chicken bouillon cubes (recommended: Knorr)
    2 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1 cup quick grits (recommended: Quaker)
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    3 1/2 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar

Sauce:
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup chicken stock
    1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
    1 slice sugar-cured country ham

Directions
    First, peel and devein the shrimp. In a small bowl, combine Cajun seasoning, paprika, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the shrimp to coat well and set the shrimp aside.

Next, make your grits. In a medium saucepan, bring water, chicken bouillon cubes and 2 tablespoons butter to a boil. Slowly add the grits, whisking often with wire whisk for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, cream, and cheese. Keep whisking for another 2 or 3 minutes until the grits become creamy. Don't skimp on the butter and the cream, folks.

Now saute the shrimp. In a large saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add in the spice-coated shrimp, and cook only until they're just done and tender. Don't overcook. Remove the shrimp from the saute pan and set them aside in a bowl. You can taste 1 or 2, to see if they're okay.

The roux is next. With all those wonderful drippings from the shrimp in the saute pan, add 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and stir with a wooden spatula to make a roux. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until roux reaches a medium-tan color, then slowly add the chicken stock and heavy whipping cream. Whisk together and cook for 2 minutes, then whisk in Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Set aside.

And last, a little country ham. Cook 1 center slice of cured country ham in a saute pan, and cut into cubes.

To serve, and this is the best part-place a few heaping spoonfuls of steaming cheese grits onto a place, top with several sizzling shrimp. Drizzle that wonderful roux sauce over top of the shrimp, and sprinkle on a few cubes of country ham. Enjoy.

Hey buddy, your recipe looks good, I gotta try it.

But!
    It is hard to mess ribs up but putting them on a gas grill like that is a good way to start.

Gas is a hot dry heat that is not very good for cooking most meats. It dries meat out very easily. That is the reason real BBQ is usually cooked another way.

If you want to use a gas grill for ribs the best thing to do is wrap them in foil and cook them in the oven over low heat for a couple of hours. Then put them on the grill to sear them. They will be more juciy and tender than cooking them on the grill the entire time.
    You know not what you say! Dry? Did you get the part about spritzing them with some nice juices!?!
    Got the smoke - Check
    Got the slow cook - check
    Got the moist - check
    Got the juice all over the chin - check!!! :D

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post

By the way, I had shrimp and grits for supper tonight. I didn't take any pictures but I used this recipe. I used bacon instead of ham and Florida shrimp and this a great supper. I used the high calorie recipe this time because I wanted to see what the recipe tasted like.. The next time I will cut down on the fat. For instance I will use 2% cheese and fat free half and half instead of heavy cream.

Ingredients

Shrimp:
    1 1/2 pounds (26-30 count) Wild Georgia Shrimp
    2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning (recommended: Tone's Louisiana Cajun seasoning)
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
    Freshly ground black pepper

Grits:
    2 cups water
    2 chicken bouillon cubes (recommended: Knorr)
    1 cup quick grits (recommended: Quaker)
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
    3 1/2 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar

Sauce:
    1 tablespoon minced garlic
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    1 cup chicken stock
    1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 teaspoon hot sauce (recommended: Texas Pete)
    1 slice sugar-cured country ham

Directions
    First, peel and devein the shrimp. In a small bowl, combine Cajun seasoning, paprika, Italian seasoning and salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the shrimp to coat well and set the shrimp aside.

Next, make your grits. In a medium saucepan, bring water, chicken bouillon cubes and 2 tablespoons butter to a boil. Slowly add the grits, whisking often with wire whisk for 5 minutes. Add tomato paste, cream, and cheese. Keep whisking for another 2 or 3 minutes until the grits become creamy. Don't skimp on the butter and the cream, folks.

Now saute the shrimp. In a large saute pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add minced garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add in the spice-coated shrimp, and cook only until they're just done and tender. Don't overcook. Remove the shrimp from the saute pan and set them aside in a bowl. You can taste 1 or 2, to see if they're okay.

The roux is next. With all those wonderful drippings from the shrimp in the saute pan, add 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour and stir with a wooden spatula to make a roux. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes until roux reaches a medium-tan color, then slowly add the chicken stock and heavy whipping cream. Whisk together and cook for 2 minutes, then whisk in Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce. Set aside.

And last, a little country ham. Cook 1 center slice of cured country ham in a saute pan, and cut into cubes.

To serve, and this is the best part-place a few heaping spoonfuls of steaming cheese grits onto a place, top with several sizzling shrimp. Drizzle that wonderful roux sauce over top of the shrimp, and sprinkle on a few cubes of country ham. Enjoy.
    No wonder your cholesterol level is so high !

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    No wonder your cholesterol level is so high !
    I actually have very low cholesterol levels. The highest I have ever had in my life has been 126. Most of the time it is around 110-115.

I don't usually eat things like this but the receope looked so good I had to try it. Trust me, I saved up my calories all week and I had a small serving of the shrimp and grits. The next time it is made it will be lower in calories and fat. I just wanted to see what the high test model tasted like.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I actually have very low cholesterol levels. The highest I have ever had in my life has been 126. Most of the time it is around 110-115.

I don't usually eat things like this but the receope looked so good I had to try it. Trust me, I saved up my calories all week and I had a small serving of the shrimp and grits. The next time it is made it will be lower in calories and fat. I just wanted to see what the high test model tasted like.
    I know,I'm just pulling your chain .I've read in the past of your desire to eat more barbecue and your wife wanting to keep you alive a while longer.

I've got to pick up my Big Green Egg this week. I'm looking forward to putting it through it's paces this long weekend.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ